Things that remind me of my childhood

Options
mellman01
mellman01 Member Posts: 5,306
edited 29. Jan 2012, 07:58 in Community Chit-chat archive
Well it's flippin frosty here so this moring I set our log burner going and put a fair bits of coal on there as well, I was sitting here thinking what can I have for breakfast so I got some of my home made bread and toasted it on the fire, it was like I'd been taken back to when I was 8 or 10 and living in our old big house, toast on a fire is totally different to that made in the kitchen, fliipin lovely!.
Gotta go going to toast another bit now!. :mrgreen:

Comments

• valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    we used to have a long toasting fork and also a sandwich toaster you put in the fire heaven
    val
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,714
    Options
    Very hard frost last night. A friend & I were reminiscing this morning about scraping frost off the inside of the bedroom windows and putting our school uniforms in bed to warm up.

Any other ladies recall the singularly misnamed 'liberty bodice'?
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dillydream
    dillydream Member Posts: 75
    Options
    I remember the Liberty bodice well,and the little rubber buttons it had. Our Mum used to make us girls wear it in the winter. :oops:
    What about the tin bath in front of the fire ? :eek:
  • mellman01
    mellman01 Member Posts: 5,306
    Options
    OMG I remeber ice on inside of the windows and the tin baths, not the other thing though, well not on this forum GRRRRRRRRRRRRrrrrrrrrrrrrr! :shock: :oops: Sorry house work has sent me more dappy than normal., Right Val toasting fork that extends, yes I remember them and I also have an old one still works, boy oh boy the toast was spot on, roast chicken later, got me mum coming round so I'm cooking T tonight!.
  • rugbygirl
    rugbygirl Member Posts: 691
    Options
    I dont remember any of the things you have mentioned but I do remember having the first donkey kong hand held game in 1982
    Jakib0644.gif
  • ruby2
    ruby2 Member Posts: 423
    Options
    Ah, I remember the liberty bodice Dilly.
    They were so pretty :smile:

I was talking this morning about the shoemaker/cobblers I loved the smell and really thought the elves made the tiny shoes that he put in the window.
    (innocence where did it go?)
    Roo
    Ruby
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Oh how this has taken me back, sitting in front of our coal fire when we were kids..ie the 1950s.. :shock: anyway sitting there with my mum and my brothers..she would get the toasting fork out and toast the bread...then pass it round to put our own marg on...yes marg...didnt have butter till i was at least 12...then she would have to damp down the fire because the water tank was rumbling its head off....or run the hot water... :grin:
    Love
    Barbara
  • jillyb1
    jillyb1 Member Posts: 1,725
    Options
    Marge ? You were a bit posh , Barbara , dripping for us with salt and pepper ! Jillyb
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    Options
    there is no better toast than toast done on the end of a long fork over an open fire... Lovely memories...
    The ones with the tin bath, not so lovely but they're there.. Along with sharing the outside bog with the old fella next door, Mr Kirby his name was, nice old fella but guts like a sewer.. :shock:
    Hated having to follow him into the loo :eek:
    Other fond memories... I loved riding my bike, had a raliegh commando.. Haven't been able to ride a bike since I was thirteen :roll:
    I loved being a kid...... Was fairly healthy back then, very accident prone though.. Lol
    Always in plaster our having stitches....
    How things change eh? Lol
    Good thread Mel mi old mucka :grin:
    Bet you remember putting ya loin cloth on and chasing them pesky dinosaurs for ya dindins :???: :lol:
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • joanlawson
    joanlawson Member Posts: 8,681
    Options
    Waking up on cold frosty mornings with a bedroom like an ice-box, and being able to see my breath.
    Ice patterns on the inside of the windows, and trying to delay that awful moment when I had to get up and get dressed for school.
    Thank goodness for central heating :!: :grin:

I was always the first one home because both my parents worked, so it was my job to light a coal fire every day in the winter. I did this from a very young age, and now the mind boggles to think of the dangers.

Sharing a double bed with my sister, and the arguments we had about who was taking up the most room. There was also a nightly battle because I was scared of the dark. I wanted a night-light left on, but my sister wanted it switched off, so we kept switching it on and off until one of us gave in.
    c1b3ebebbad638aa28ad5ab6d40cfe9c.gif
  • prefabkid47
    prefabkid47 Member Posts: 1,316
    Options
    Many snatches of childhood........ :!:

Yes,frost on the inside of my bedroom window.

The taste of bread and dripping,with plenty of salt and pepper.

Bread and winkles for Sunday tea.

The smell of bonfire smoke (dad had an allotment).

Going to a British Restaurant for lunch with my brother during school holidays.

The taste of cod liver oil and malt.

The smell of school dinners.

The noise of Saturday morning pictures.

The innocence of childhood!

I could go on and on................... :sad:
    ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy''. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
  • prefabkid47
    prefabkid47 Member Posts: 1,316
    Options
    delboy wrote:
    Me, my sister and mum and dad in a one bedroom flat with a paraffin heater for the bedroom that cast patterns on the ceiling. (A kettle of water on the top gave hot water for the morning). Frost on the windows as thick as armour plating, outside toilet next to the copper kettle where mum did the laundry. Icicles as long as your arm too. Dad working two jobs and my mum as a barmaid in the evening to make ends meet. If it wasn't for Butlins we would never have had a holiday.

Bomb sites were our playgrounds.

Then there was chicken pox, measles, flu etc that killed lots, the good old days NOT

Nearly forgot the smell of the paraffin heater (Aladdin Pink paraffin at 2 shillings a gallon).
    Bombsites as playgrounds,of course where else?
    ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy''. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
  • joanlawson
    joanlawson Member Posts: 8,681
    Options
    delboy wrote:

Then there was chicken pox, measles, flu etc that killed lots, the good old days NOT

Ooo, I'd forgotten about all those horrible childhood illnesses. :shock:

I had the lot- whooping cough, measles, chicken pox, German measles, and the worst case of mumps my doctor had ever seen ( face the size of a pumpkin :shock: ) Somehow, I survived, but heaven knows how!
    c1b3ebebbad638aa28ad5ab6d40cfe9c.gif
  • Colin1
    Colin1 Member Posts: 1,769
    Options
    A great thread, the open fire granddad supervising the toast being made, chestnuts on the shovel roasting over the fire. The mantal instead of electric lights. Being sent for the accumulator for the radio, so many things yes the tin bath I hated not going first, the toilet down the yard behind the air raid shelter. collecting bommy wood
    WHEN GOD GIVES YOU LEMONS MAKE LEMONADE
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    Nan buying me Twinkle comic (later Bunty and Shoot) and my brother Tiger magazine and making oxtail soup.

Pea green Vauxhall Viva and trips to the chalk pit and woods near Eastbourne where we ran off for hours and only returned for sandwiches and orange juice.

Long, long walks (often on my own when I was bored).

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • tonesp
    tonesp Member Posts: 844
    Options
    I lived in a terraced street with the canal and the leadworks at one end and a main road at the other I remember the outside toilet freezing up and having to take a bucket of water to flush It would always burst with the thaw Remember in summer going fishing on the canal side shouting across to the blokes at the leadworks Chuck us a bit of lead please to cock my float Without all the lead in my system I probably would have been a genius :lol::lol::lol::lol:
  • roses1
    roses1 Member Posts: 1,850
    Options
    ooo i used to have Twinkle and a lucky bag :D

and the toast on an open fire! cant beat it :D
  • Colin1
    Colin1 Member Posts: 1,769
    Options
    does anyone remember the lamp lighter
    colin
    WHEN GOD GIVES YOU LEMONS MAKE LEMONADE
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    it does show a wide range of ages clackers hitting your wrist space hoopers, sweet tabaco,cracker jack, test card, eating salad while football results on mum checking football pools insurance man calling giving me three penny for birthday
    val