How to explain death to a 5 year old :-(

katknapp
katknapp Member Posts: 709
edited 21. Jan 2012, 16:52 in Community Chit-chat archive
my little girls classmate has sadly just died,she was one of my daughters friends and i just dont know how to tell her :(

Comments

• katknapp
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hmmm have actually just told her,i decided to tell her it basically if you know what i mean,bless her she was concerned for the little girls sister, :(
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    I was just forming a reply but you beat me to it. I think you have done the right thing, surely the only way is to be honest, straightforward and as simple in the explanation as you can be as very young children may well not gather the finality of such a thing. Your girl has responded so beautifully in being concerned about her friend's sister, bless her little heart, but I guess you may be facing some 'awkward' questions in the days/weeks ahead. My thoughts are not only with you but with the other parents - what a nightmare. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • katknapp
    i was so proud of her thoughtful and caring little heart,the little girl wasnt even quite 5,she had been ill since christmas and i know she was in a wheelchair,sadly her little heart just gave out, death at any age is devastating but it seems more heartbreaking when its a little one,katie has asked what happens to us when we die,i told her we become stars,but im expecting a lot more,im hoping the school will have a special assembly,so sad :(
  • Colin1
    Colin1 Member Posts: 1,769
    So sad to hear
    Your little girl is so brave
    Colin
    WHEN GOD GIVES YOU LEMONS MAKE LEMONADE
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,336
    Oh Katnapp

l am so sorry for your little girl having to deal with this so so young and another child too :(

What a kind girl she is thinking of her friend's sister first like that.

I hope she has an ok weeeknd. Thinking of her friend's family too :(

Love and hugs

Toni xx
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    I believe the dragonfly story is a good way to try to explain death to a young or not so young child. I always find it very moving. It can easily be googled.

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    the poor little thing.. And so sweet to be thinking of the sister.
    Bless her.
    My niece recently had to be told that a girl at her school had been killed. It was all over the news,a dreadful thing.. Won't go into detail but I hope the father suffered. Sounds a horrible thing to say but if you know what I'm talking about you might agree.. (or not but that's my opinion)
    My niece was so grown up about it all bless her.
    It's such a dreadful thing to hear of a child dying. My heart goes out to anyone who's had to go through such a horrible time.
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP