prescription charges

Options
tidmusshaz
tidmusshaz Member Posts: 11
Hi all
As it's obvious i'm going to needing constant meds (still awaiting diagnosis but advised by rheumy either Palindromic arthritis or Lupus) I have decided to but a pre-payment certificate. Due to a mix up with hospital appointments I ran out or hydroxychloroquin & had to collect an emergency supply to tide me over until my review. As my card hadnt arrived I had to pay for the script. Does anyone know how I go about getting a refund when my card arrives.

Comments

• janie68
    janie68 Member Posts: 1,186
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    If you get receipt for your prescription, then you will be able to claim a refund for the charge. I think if you look on the prescription authority website, there are more details

Janie (forum member)
  • CJHunter
    CJHunter Member Posts: 1,038
    Options
    I believe Janie is right in what she says, it should tell you how to get the money back when your certificate arrives. They are well worth getting.
    Clare xxeyeore-1.jpg
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    tidmusshaz wrote:
    Hi all
    As it's obvious i'm going to needing constant meds (still awaiting diagnosis but advised by rheumy either Palindromic arthritis or Lupus) I have decided to but a pre-payment certificate. Due to a mix up with hospital appointments I ran out or hydroxychloroquin & had to collect an emergency supply to tide me over until my review. As my card hadnt arrived I had to pay for the script. Does anyone know how I go about getting a refund when my card arrives.

Hi Tidmusshaz

I had a little google regarding your question as I was interested and it would appear that if you have to pay for a prescription charge whilst waiting for your PPC you cannot get a refund without an NHS receipt form (FP57) which your pharmacist/hospital can issue at the time you pay a prescription charge, it cannot be given later. If I understand this correctly then you may have a problem getting a refund for the meds if you did not have this form completed at the time of paying.

Elna x (forum member)
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,488
    Options
    Hi All

It is as Elna said unless you have a kindly chemist ;)

For future reference for anyone who buys a PPC particularly over the phone, make sure you ask and write down the certificate number so you can still use it and give to your pharmacist without having to wait until the certificate actually arrives. You also need to know from which date it is valid from.

Hope that helps a bit more

Simona
  • tidmusshaz
    Options
    Hi all
    Thanks for your replies. Ialready have the FP57 as when i applied for the card it informed me I would need this. As its a yearly one and payment is by direct debit the card is not sent until after the DD is taken but they are not doing this until next week. I have the recipt and the DD confirmation but told this doesnt count I need the card.
    the website says instructions for refund are on the form but Its probably just me (brain fog from the meds I think) but I cant work out what I need to do. The instructions are all about if you are disabled or out of work or in recipt of diferent benefits.
    x xx
  • helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,488
    Options
    Hi tidmusshaz

Its ok don't panic :wink: As long as it is within 3 months of buying your meds, just take the form along with your card when it comes and take it to the pharmacist who dispensed the meds. Ask them to help fill it in. Ignore the work and benefits stuff as you will have a PPC.

best wishes

Simona
  • tidmusshaz
    Options
    Thanks Simona
    I will keep the FP57 safe till my card arrives and take them. I have to get them from the hospital pharmacy so will go back there.
    Thanks again x x x
  • lululu
    lululu Member Posts: 486
    Options
    Hi
    I had this last year, the chemist gave me a cash refund in return for the FP57.
  • tidmusshaz
    Options
    Thank you x