Questions for those with OA of the neck

Options
pixie01
pixie01 Member Posts: 52
edited 20. Jan 2012, 15:27 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi
I've not been on the forum for quite awhile but have some questions for those of you with oa in the neck. I have been experiencing dizzy spells, headaches as well as the usually pain in shoulders and wrists. I also fainted after waking in night from excruciating burning pain in my right shoulder which is from a trapped nerve in my neck I believe. What I am asking is it possible to get dizzy spells and faint from oa in the neck?
I am really worried about it. Hope you can help :)

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,719
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Pixie01,

I certainly have arthritis in my neck as nothing moves much. Presumably it's OA rather than my RA. That is beside the point though.

If I had symptoms such as yours I'd be down at my GPs straight away. Fainting, dizzy spells and headaches can result from all manner of things and none of us here is qualified to make a guess.

It doesn't really make any difference to you whether or not other people get such symptoms from their OA. Whatever their answers, yours needs checking out, Pixie01. Please let us know how you get on.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • suzygirl
    suzygirl Member Posts: 2,005
    Options
    Hi Pixie, stickywicket has given you really good advice. Always best to get checked with the doc.

I do get dizziness with my neck, it is long standing and I have meds for it. I think it is to do with which nerves are being pinched.

Your symptoms really warrant further investigation, it is too easy to put it all down to arfur.

Let us know how you get on.
  • kellerman
    kellerman Member Posts: 741
    Options
    Pixie....I do hope you.ve made a doctors appointment.
    Nobody can tell you what is causing this....so please see your doc.
    Never put everything down to your arthur....
    You've had good advise please act on it.
    May
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,481
    Options
    Hi Pixie

Nice to see you again :)

We are sorry to hear you are suffering so much at the moment. (I am posting for myself and Cris skezier as her eyes are bad atm)

We both have OA of the neck, Cris is suggesting you go back to your doc and ask to see an orthopedic person and l totally agree...maybe even a referral to a pain clinic???

Love

Toni and Cris Skezier
  • pixie01
    pixie01 Member Posts: 52
    Options
    Hi everyone and hello again Toni and Chris (wave's)
    Thanks for your advice everyone. I have been to doc's today after having an ecg and some bloods this week. He thinks the faint is possibly down to low bp in early mornings? or pos from the pain I had in my shoulder before the faint.
    He is going to talk to a cardiologist and show them my ecg. From the symptoms I get, including the dizzy spells he just wants it checked. He will ring me later next week to let me know what they think.
    Also seeing the rheumy in april.

A bit about me, I have ra, oa, hypermobility, and a slight curvature to spine due to leg length discrepancy.
  • suzygirl
    suzygirl Member Posts: 2,005
    Options
    Pixie, glad to hear that you got it checked with your gp.