putting your socks on

lupin15
lupin15 Member Posts: 2,182
edited 27. Jan 2012, 18:02 in Community Chit-chat archive
Well bugger me...me backs gone again....and yes it is the how do you get your socks on... Dont you just take it for granted bend forward leg up and away you go... :):)
refused to go down the route of asking some one else do do it...
so have tried various Technic s... much to the amusement of the family.... but HOORAY i managed it. Now all i have to do is chase away the cramp,
sciatica which is stopping me walking very far. Also had a find a way to get up and down stairs.....walking down backwards would you believe or one step at a time.. What a start to the year... Typical as my arthur has not been to bad lately... :(:(

Comments

• traluvie
    traluvie Member Posts: 2,579
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Lupin,

Tis a pain when you are unable to do things properly..
    I know a few people have a few good contraptions they use so hopefully they will come along and offer you some advice..
    Hope your back eases soon..
    th_tn_TisFORTIGGER.jpgxxTracyxx
  • daylily
    daylily Member Posts: 619
    Hi, sorry to hear about your back.
    There is a brilliant sock aid and it's only about £3, it's a piece of plastic with two ropes on, sounds daft but it's the best one I've used.
    I bought an expensive one when I had my hip replacement but ended up using the one the carers brought for hubby.
    They are easy to find in mobility aids shops online or your local shop if you have aone near you.

Take care
    x
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,710
    I agree with daylily. I have a very smart-looking sock aid which is useless so I still use my ancient, plastic, free-from-OT one which is now held together with duck tape and it's string long since replaced by an old shoelace.

As for stairs - going down backwards is easier because it uses different muscles.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • lupin15
    Ah will have to look for sock aid thing...would be handy for hubby as well.
  • stickywicket
    Any disability shop, Lupin. Or Amazon.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    If I bother with socks (which isn't often) then it's done with me sitting on the edge of the bed and bending (but I am lucky in that my back is OK and and sciatica hasn't struck yet). As for the stairs I have found one major drawback of the backwards thing, despite it being far easier - I can't carry anything! I hope everything eases soon, lupin, it is miserable, isn't it? DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • lupin15
    what makes it all worse that it was because i a child ran at me from behind and pushed me hard in my lower back last nov...it has not been right since then. Stupidly i continued to go to work and now the disc has prolapsed on the other side. I have been in contact with the union about this and been into work today to try and get things sorted. The bottom line is because i am not fit to work with the child i could loose my job.... the head teacher has said she will move me to another class until the end of the school year. All i have to do is write a letter saying i resign from that job and they will issue me a new contract.... I know this sounds awful but in the back of my mind my logic is saying if i hand my notice in....what happens if she does not give me another contract??? Guess i will be back onto the union again monday morning...
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Hi Lupin
    I think the one I use is the same has daylillys, but I also buy the socks with no elastic in the the tops..much easier to get on..
    Hope you get some joy at work..you take care x
    Love
    Barbara
  • Colin1
    Colin1 Member Posts: 1,769
    When i get stuck i have a handy little gizzmo called a wife she is so gentle
    Colin
    WHEN GOD GIVES YOU LEMONS MAKE LEMONADE
  • stickywicket
    I need a wife. Currently, I only have a husband. Maybe I should upgrade.
    Steven Wright
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    hi Lupes. Sorry that you are still suffering with the back.. I've got one of those sock things but it doesn't seen to work for me.. Must be the big feet, lol
    I've also opted for the WIFE option. It's a really useful bit of kit but can be quite costly on the upkeep side of things. Lol
    :wink:
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • Colin1
    Hey tony mines quite cheap to run just the odd bottle of brandy and shes fine, The only downside is as she drinks the brandy, the more she drinks the more she talks.
    Colin
  • lupin15
    Would love to use the hubby option but he has more trouble than me... what a pair :lol::lol::lol::lol: must admit after an absolutely awful day of pain cramp and electric shock delights from my leg yetersday ...today has been quite nice..... been able to walk most of the day and get up the stairs nearly pain free... Fingers crossed it is starting to ease off. Now i better start looking for a hubby option...trade in????? :wink::wink:
  • Colin1
    If your staying in all day dont bother just put your slippers on.
    Colin
  • liesa
    liesa Member Posts: 821
    my ankles are to swollen each day to wear socks but as i'm home everyday i just keep slippers on, but when its really cold i can get hubby Steve to help me even tho i did buy a sock aid thingy from ebay... its the problems the socks cause me after they get them off me, they usually cut in big time and it causes problems for several more days after
    love and hugs
    8997C823B17A6252CBCA252F4BF2932D.png
  • tjt6768
    Roll on summer. I love being in my bare feet.... I'd spend my life bare foot if it was feasible..
    I've a favorite pair of sandals that are sooooooo comfy too, easily slipped on with the aid of my trusty long handled she horn..
    :D
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • tjt6768
    Barefoot is wonderful..
    Especially on a nice sandy beech.. Love it. Love driving barefoot too.. :D
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Driving barefoot? Oh yes, there's nothing like it, I love it too but sandy beach walking? :shock: I can't stand it, I was the only toddler on the beach in wellies, red they were and I have a pic to prove it too! :) They looked good with the blue sprigged ruched swimming costume (still have that somewhere as well :oops: ) DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • PollySid
    PollySid Member Posts: 343
    Sit on edge of bed and throw trousers at your feet until you manage to hit them then shuffle gently until you have pulled them up.
    Use trouser leg to lift foot up onto other side knee. Play Hoopla with socks (I also use loose topped ones) until you 'win' your toes. Struggle to pull socks up then use trouser leg to let foot down to the floor.
    Repeat for second leg.
    I learn't this trick from my Mum. Trouser legs also useful for lifting left leg into car :)

I sympasise with your disc pain, I have had that to the extent that I couldn't stand or walk for 8 weeks. I was stuck in bed with Alan doing everything for me.

Polly
  • tjt6768
    Brilliant description Polly :D
    Especially the winning of toes, lol..

DD... What's wrong with you lady? How can you not like the sand in your toes? Lol
    :wink:
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP