Fed Up With Pain

Options
muffy
muffy Member Posts: 72
edited 20. Jan 2012, 09:54 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi All

I have RA in the fingers of both hands and I am fed up being in constant pain and having swollen fingers on top of this I have no appetite and if I force myself to eat something I end up feeling really sick so now I don't bother, I already take Tramadol, Gabapentin and Co-Dydramol but nothing helps, I had a Steroid injection a few weeks ago that was supposed to ease the pain but again no good. How do the rest of you cope with the pain.

Sylvia

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,719
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I'm sorry the steroid jab didn't help. I get great results with them but there are others who don't.

What are you taking for the RA, muffy? Might it need upping?

The paindullers you mention could well explain your lack of appetite and nausea. Do you take a stomach protector and always take them with food? If I were you, this is where I'd start looking for answers.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I'm with sticky on this, what RA meds are you taking? It could well be that they need a review. I have injected meth with humira jabs once a fortnight and yes, the pain is constant (my toes, ankles, knees, sacro iliacs are the worst offenders) but I'm used to it now. Injected steroids have never done a great deal for me either. I take co-cos 30/500 during the day and then if things are really bad I'll take a tramadol or two at night to try to help me sleep. A couple of years ago I used to regularly take the stronger stuff but as it eased very little (and made me a little too dopey to function) I returned to the lower strength stuff preferring to be alert albeit in pain. Hobson's Choice, isn't it? :roll: It's not easy, and constant pain in your hands is so wearing as we tend to use them all the time! When are you next seeing your rheumatologist? I wonder if OT could be of any help too, that could be something to raise with him. I am so sorry, it must be very miserable for you. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • ichabod6
    ichabod6 Member Posts: 843
    Options
    If you live in Lancashire come on a Challenging Pain course.
    You could find it useful.
  • muffy
    Options
    Thanks for the replies, I was taken off Methotrexate because it did something to my Liver and until the blood's are back to normal and I have a Liver Scan I can't have anything, I see the consultant again next Friday.
  • muffy
    Options
    Forgot to say thanks for the invite but I live near Heathrow a bit too far to travel to Lancashire lol.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,719
    Options
    I hope you will be able to go back on the meth or something else that will help.

You could buy a wrist/hand support in the meantime.

I'd still blame the paindullers for your nausea and tiredness. Sometimes our only choice is what to suffer from - pain or the side-effects of the dullers.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright