New wrist and thumb supports!!

Options
bubbadog
bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
edited 6. Feb 2012, 14:15 in Community Chit-chat archive
The O.T came round to my home yesterday and gave me my wrist and thumb surpports. I'm so pleased with how fast I got them. It's getting weird having them on and there taking a little getting used to.
I'm already feeling some relief in my left wrist. My O.H has now nicked name me Robbocop! And bubba's not sure about them yet.

Comments

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,426
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Amanda

glad you have your new splints and they are already helping too :D

fabulous :D But poor Bubba!

See you later Robbocop

Love

toni xxx
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    Options
    they can be strange at first, mine are the blue ones, but they don't seem to last long.. They're always splitting down the side below the thumb.. I don't over tighten them, well I don't think so.. The wonderful lady at OT just sends new ones in the post once I ring and ask for them..
    I make sure I have two sets, one set has the shaped and moulded plastic inserts for using with the crutches, walking sticks and the other set have the metal inserts in for general use, lol. I like to think of them being like iron man devices.. Lol
    Yep, big big kid.. Lol
    Good luck with them hun.
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • silverbirch
    silverbirch Member Posts: 63
    Options
    I love mine they are the black ones with inserts on the back of the hand, they help so much when I am reading in bed at night and I find that by leaving them on overnight my hand is much better next morning.
  • bubbadog
    Options
    Thanks for all your messages, my splints are the flesh coloured ones with valcro and they have metal inserts. I'm slowly getting used to them! using the computer better with them on, just still having trouble when I eat and doing things where I really need to bend my wrist!!
  • traluvie
    traluvie Member Posts: 2,579
    Options
    Hopefully it helps to improve things for you luvie..xx
    th_tn_TisFORTIGGER.jpgxxTracyxx
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    Options
    You'll get used to em soon Amanda.. I could really do with ordering some more from OT they never last very long.
    Always start fraying below the thumb.. :roll:
    I always take mine off at night, but can't remember if I was told to do that or not.. Doh. Lol

They really do help when using the ergonomic sticks or crutches, I've got moulded plastic inserts for that.
    :D
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • bubbadog
    Options
    delboy wrote:
    bubbadog wrote:
    just still having trouble when I eat and doing things where I really need to bend my wrist!!

Get a spare set and take the insert out, still gives support but allows a little bending when needed.
    Thanks for that advise Delboy will give the O.T a ring and see if I can get a spare set for that!
  • bounce
    bounce Member Posts: 106
    Options
    when I was in physiotherapy I was given one standard splint, and if I wanted more I was given a website address that the hospital get their supplies from and I was told that I would have to buy my own as the hospital only supply the first one free.

I now buy my own but not the nhs ones but I found one that I prefer using as it has the thumb support as well as carpal tunnel syndrome support as well, and they are nice after you wear them in for a week or so, but I must admit I begrudge having to buy my own splints, but as the physio said to me the number crunchers only allow one as arthritis sufferers would cost them a fortune over the many years we have of arthritis and they are penny pinching due to cutbacks.

I must admit that really made me feel good about myself, when I was a newly diagnosed arthritis sufferer. NOT. :|

Its crazy though how the nhs has become, where they worry about the expense of things and not how neccessary these items are.

The splints are awkward until you get used to them, but after that they are heaven to have on and are worth their weight in gold. :)
  • RoseEllen
    RoseEllen Member Posts: 24
    Options
    Hi, I was given splints to wear at night from when I was diagnosed with carpal tunnel

We have an OT who is sorting out large equipment, i.e. shower room and rails for outside, and a second handrail for the stairs.

Do we ask her for help with our hands, mine are getting worse, my thumbs ache all day, and picking things up is painful. I'm not sure who I ask? :?
    ROSE ELLEN
  • flossy47
    flossy47 Member Posts: 171
    Options
    You need to ask OT for working splints. I've got the splints with the metal strip for my cts and thumb and wrist ones for during the day. I also have a night resting splint for one hand as I have a trigger finger.
    Flossy