pain

Options
marrianne
marrianne Member Posts: 1,161
edited 22. Jan 2012, 11:08 in Living with Arthritis archive
everything hurts basically ...............g/p just keep giving me co/codomol it is a waste of time ...........I am self medicating with brandy but it is still not hitting the spot its just been so cold lately I am fed up

Comments

• valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    marrianne wrote:
    everything hurts basically ...............g/p just keep giving me co/codomol it is a waste of time ...........I am self medicating with brandy but it is still not hitting the spot its just been so cold lately I am fed up

hi i understand the pain i take it you an oa sufferer i do not know much about it but do know this heavy damp weather playing havock with mine just want to crawl into bed and take my wheat bag. hope it improves soon ((())) val
    val
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    Options
    Moved to LWA as Chit Chat is "Lively non arthritis chat for people with arthritis"

Mod Z
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,719
    Options
    I'm sorry you're in so much pain, Marrianne. Could you give us a little more to go on? What kind of arthritis do you have and where? How long have you had it? Have you tried anything else besides co-codamol? There are other paindullers and some work better for some people while others do for other people. A change of doc might help. I don't think the brandy will. I can swill a glass with the best of them but it does nothing to reduce pain. I hope things have eased off a bit for you by now.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • lupin15
    lupin15 Member Posts: 2,182
    Options
    Must admit the drug given issue seems to a problem. Hubby is on a cocktail of various drugs...which i add have other very unpleasant smelly side affects :lol::lol::lol: . I have been given various and even been put on Amitriptyline which i could not copy with... just to tired in the morning and could not function at work....hubby however can take.
    If you can find a sympathetic doctor maybe they might suggest amitriptyline which may help you... It would appear it is very hit or miss.
    Roll on when they can tell by by dna what drugs work better on your body and will not give you nasty side effects. Roll on the spring...warming weather always helps me and the lighter days.
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    Hi marrianne

Welcome to the forum. Earlier on your thread was accidentally locked when being moved from CC to LWA, so I could not reply, but it is ok now.

I am sorry that the cocos are not working for you. I am wondering what strength you have been prescribed as there are weaker and stronger strengths. If you have been diagnosed with OA then your gp should be prescribing anti inflammatory meds too which do help. If you have been diagnosed with RA then you should be or have been referred to a rheumatologist.

Alcohol does not "hit the spot" as you have found out, you may only find you become more sleepy if taken with the cocos.

If you, like others have said, can give us a little more information, I am sure we could help you more.

Look after yourself,

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • dorcas
    dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
    Options
    Hi marianne,

Living with chronic pain is very difficult.... and we all can empathise with that. :roll: There are many meds for dealing with pain depending on the cause. and your doc would be the best person to offer you advice on what meds might help you best. If the doctor you're seeing just now isn't supportive then perhaps you could ask to see a different doctor in the practice?
    I hope you come back on to tell as a little more about yourself as Elna and others have suggested.... that way we'll be better able to offer support and advice....

Iris xxx
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    Options
    definitely go back to your GP. Try keeping a pain diary, what makes the pain worse, better etc, that should help whichever form of arthur you have. I wouldn't recommend the brandy option with the cocodamol though. Probably not a great mix in my opinion. It is just that though, not telling you what to do, lol.
    I among many many others on here certainly understand the stress pain puts on you.
    I wish you the very best of luck.
    Keep us up to date with everything and someone will always be around on here.
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • ichabod6
    ichabod6 Member Posts: 843
    Options
    Come on a Challenging Pain course.
    It could help you.
  • marrianne
    Options
    Thankyou so much for replys wellits r/a long standing coped for 20 years my partener said I looked lik

on moderate pain meds ...........but this cold spell has really done for me in the morning the shoulders wrists knees stop me moving any quicker than a snails pace .........in the summer I started the methotrexate and it was a disaster from the start rash sick hair loss mouth abcess colds with so little positives so I gave up reached 12 mg once a week with the folic acid but
  • marrianne
    Options
    sorry messed up my post thankyou for kind replys marrianne
  • stickywicket
    Options
    Hello again, Marrianne.

Well, even though the gremlins messed up your post, I'm pleased you did manage to get through to us again.

Did your rheumatologist suggest something else to replace the methotrexate? It doesn't suit everyone and, unfortunately, with all meds for RA, it's a matter of trial and error and just working out which one does it for you. You will find the right one in the end. When do you see your rheumatologist again?

Your GP can't prescribe the meds you need to control the disease - only the rheumatologist - but he/she could try other paindullers or anti-inflammatories. There are more things about than just co-codamol. However, you do also need to be on some sort of disease modifier from the rheumatologist because paindullers etc will only deal with the symptoms and won't stop your RA from getting worse.

I hope today is a little better for you.
    Steven Wright
  • marrianne
    Options
    Thankyou Sticky ,and everyone else who understood I sometimes think family try to help and understand but they are to close .they seem to expect me to be in pain most of the time now ,but I can remember pre methotrexate and it was not as bad as this ,I think I will take on board all your suggestions and definately will return to see my g/p also missed my last r/appointment ...so really need to chase up again I was prescribed the naproxin 30 mg 1/2 a day ...so I think thats why he stuck with co/codomol but AS nurofen plus the full 8 a day do have some affect guess its horses for courses and I need to stop expecting pain free because its not happening ,Hope you are all feeling reasonable at the moment looks like a little bit warmer today , once again thanks to all of you its definately helped me .Marrianne
  • stickywicket
    Options
    I think that’s a good plan, Marrianne. It’s all a matter of teamwork – us, the GPs and the rheumatologists. If the stuff isn’t working they need to know before they can help. Just because you weren’t as bad pre-methotrexate is no guarantee you’ll be better just by dropping it.

Working out just how much to tell family and friends isn’t easy. We don’t want to be moaning on all the time but we do need to keep them in the loop because they care about us so our pain and disability impacts on them too. However, we all know we can come on here and say what we wish as we’re all in the same boat. (Pain-free? What’s that? :lol: )
    Steven Wright