Is there any help I could get or support?

Options
sailrib
sailrib Member Posts: 327
edited 24. Jan 2012, 06:16 in Living with Arthritis archive
I have lost the use of both my subtalar joints as well as other joints in my feet.

This is fine but I am also deaf and have very bad balance anyway and now I have lost the use of my subtalar joints, I am falling over on the even slightest un even ground.

How can I see a OT or someone like that, that could help me?

Also, I have from sensory social services, fire alarms and door bell that flash these things in each room. This is to help me with my deafness.

Is there anything like this, to help me in the help with my balance and stairs etc?

Thank you.

Comments

• elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Sailrib

I am always so sorry to read your postings. I remember your last posting about not bein g able to contact your consultant regarding a post op consultation and we offered help and advice. I sincerely hope that you did get to see him eventually because that is what should have happened and I am filled with dread when I think that perhaps due to what would appear total negligence on the behalf of the hospital you are now much worse off than you may have been before.

I have found this link for you regarding getting referred to an OT and what they may be able to do to help you:

http://www.arthritisresearchuk.org/arthritis-information/the-rheumatology-team/occupational-therapist.aspx

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi
    In our area you can self refer to an OT. Why dont you ring the physio dept of your hospital and ask them?
    They'll know. At least thats the way we go.....through the physio and they connect us to the OT

Love
    Hileena
  • dorcas
    dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
    Options
    Hi sailrib,

so sorry you're having a bad time.....

I agree with Hileena that you may be able to self- refer to OT for assessment ... but your doc or even the sensory social services, whom you've already had support from, could also refer you to the OTs... and perhaps that might be a quicker way of accessing this service.?

Good luck with this sailrib... Ots can provide a range of aids/ adaptations for the home, so I do hope you get to see them very soon, especially if you're at risk of falling when using stairs. I have a stairlift as well as other useful gadgets which the OTs provided for me so I shall keep my fingers crossed that you get the help you need. :wink:

Iris xx
  • CJHunter
    CJHunter Member Posts: 1,038
    Options
    Hiya, I am waiting for an OT assesment. My G.P has to refer in our area.

hope you get the help ou need hun.xx
    Clare xxeyeore-1.jpg
  • lululu
    lululu Member Posts: 486
    Options
    Hi Sailrib
    So sorry you are having such a hard time. You obviously need help now and the quickest way for you to get help is to contact Adult Social Care Direct Tel. 0345 60 80 191 it is a local rate call so does not cost a fortune, anyone can phone them (I did when I needed help) never be afraid to ring them and be asured that they will not do anything without your permision.

Also sounds like you will be entitled to DLA or AA if you are over 64 you probably already know about this but if you don't you should claim.
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    Hi Lululu

In the link I posted to Sailrib it says you can call Social Services yourself to get OT help.

Is that the number to call for the East Sussex area? Will they be able to give you the number you need to call depending on which area you live in?

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,481
    Options
    Hi Sailrib

l am sorry :(

You have received some great advice already, but l hust want to add that l woudl definitely enquire about some sort of walking aid (rollators can be very useful) to prevent falls a bit.

Please do let us know how you get on.

Love

Toni xx
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    Hi Sailrib, I'm sorry that you don't seem to be getting any support from the NHS, When I recently wanted to get help from my O.T I had to get my G.P to get me a referal to see the O.T. That worked and now I have great support and help from the O.T department. Hope you get the referal to your O.T soon.
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hi sailrib
    The others have given you good advice, I just want to add my support, and I do hope you get the help you need very soon.
    Please let us know how you get on xx
    Love
    Barbara