psoriasis and eyes.

Options
ruby2
ruby2 Member Posts: 423
edited 22. Jan 2012, 11:20 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hello I wonder if anyone can help on this.
I have had the arthritis for many years, but fairly new to the psoriasis.
Take Sulfa, Hydroxy, Solpodol, BP meds, Stomach protection & Diclo.

I also have Dovabet for the psoriasis which is very patchy on upper arms and thighs.
It first started on my forehead, now on my cheeks too.
The most worrying and most recentl is on the bridge of my nose which has crept closer to my tear ducts by the day.
For the past few days my eyes are quite watery ( I do suffer from sensitive eyes) but I cannot put the Dovabet near eyes as it says not to.

Does anyone else have this?.. Is there any medication they will give me to help and use nearer to my eyes?
I know you will say see the doc and yes I will be doing that this week, but meantime any advice?

Thank you in anticipation.
Roo
Ruby

Comments

• dorcas
    dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello Ruby :D

I have PsA but only the tiniest patch of Psoriasis... so have no experience of using the cream you've mentioned nor able to offer any useful advice, sorry!

Hope you get some help and advice from other peeps here on the forum... and that when you see your doc s/he is able to provide you with something that will dampen down the psoriasis.

Iris xx
  • CJHunter
    CJHunter Member Posts: 1,038
    Options
    Hi, my first word of advice is DO NOT use Dovonex on the face, no no no. I Have Psoriasis and am on Ciclosporin for it. If i was not my body is covered from head to toe.

I have used many lotions and potions and they do not work. Just keep yourself realy mosturised and get a referal to dermatology soon. I found sun treatment worked well, it may help.

Wishing you all the best with this.xx
    Clare xxeyeore-1.jpg
  • ruby2
    Options
    Thank you Iris and Clare.

Clare is ciclosporin an anti biotic?

Over the years I have felt great relief from the arthritis if ever I have taken them, so that may be worth taking further.

I was prescribed the dova by the GP and he said it was ok for the PA on my cheek and head, I did question him as my husband has it and he was told ..no face..
    I would never put it near my eye.

Sun treatment sounds good and I have worked with patients on that, but Im sure it contra indicates with the sulfa and Hydroxy.
    This is why I was looking for some advice to take with me to the GP or Rheumy.
    Ruby
  • CJHunter
    CJHunter Member Posts: 1,038
    Options
    Hiya, you do not use dovonex on your face , it is a strong cream which although is not steroid based it thins the skin and the skin in the ares you are suggeting is very thin.
    also only put in on the psoriasis, my dad pinched mine to use once as his had erupted, he rubbed it on like a moisturiser and his whole chest was covered!! dont know if this was a coincidence or what.

am unsure what Ciclosporin comes under , but it is great for the skin and the joints.(at the mo :roll: )
    Clare xxeyeore-1.jpg
  • Colin1
    Colin1 Member Posts: 1,769
    Options
    Hello Ruby ill do my best, sorry to hear your problem I have had psoriasis since 1972 I suffer with RA, PA and fibro. First of all don’t use Dovabet on your face if you cant get an appointment with the GP talk to the pharmacist Asda best bet on Sunday. If its itchy round your eyes if you wash your hair with coletar it will help relieve the itch. Being an immune suppressants some arthritis drugs can help with psoriasis. And at one time Methotrexate cleared mine completely, Alas its back.
    Ciclosporin is an immune suppressant drug used to limit rejection after organ or bone-marrow transplant surgery. It is also used for the treatment of active rheumatoid arthritis and certain skin conditions, including atopic eczema and psoriasis. Unlike many immune suppressants, it does not affect the blood-cell-producing capacity of the bone marrow, but it can damage the kidneys. It is available, on prescription only Hope I have been of some help.
    Colin
    WHEN GOD GIVES YOU LEMONS MAKE LEMONADE
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,481
    Options
    Gosh Roo

l hope you are able to see a pharmacist over the weekend - most decent sized supermarkets have a pharmacy even on Sundays (except AS*A here!!!)

Ciclosporin is used sometimes for us lot as a DMARD too, so might be worth enquiring about....do you see a dermatologist??

Take care and please do let us know how you get on.

Love

Toni xxx
  • ruby2
    Options
    Thank you Colin and Toni, some good information there. Very interesting re the ciclosporin.
    Just read your replies so off to see if I can speak to someone.
    I cant believe I specifically asked the GP about use on the face and he told me it was fine, so thought maybe the strength was weaker than that of my husbands prescription.

Thanks again I am just a little worried about the closeness to the eye, can it continue and go into the eye I wonder.

Roo
    Ruby
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Cyclosporin is used for a number of treatments, including preventing organ rejection after transplant. I think it is another of the immuno-suppressant drugs which is why some find it helps auto-immune conditions. As for the Dovobet, well I have not yet had psoriasis near the eyes but I used to have eczema all over the eyelids etc and found the 'proper' cream for eyes didn't touch it. I resorted to Betnovate for that and it worked. In between the Betnovate I used clear Vaseline to keep things 'greased up' so I wonder if that would help your eyes? I emapthise on the misery of this, I remember it all too well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Colin1
    Colin1 Member Posts: 1,769
    Options
    Wow DD Betnovate thats not been round for years good old steroid stuff
    When i think back to all the stuff i tried i must have been mad. I put some trial stuff on one time and had to go to the mbathroom and wash it off with cold water burnt through the skin and into my flesh. Took the paint off the door where i touched it. I had to go to hospital wuth the burns could not sit for weeks. Yes it was on me old bum. elbows and knees nearly burnt through to the bone. That was the good old days when my GP said no it cant go on the face and ears. OH yes it can.
    Catch you soon Colin
    WHEN GOD GIVES YOU LEMONS MAKE LEMONADE
  • ruby2
    Options
    Thank you DD
    I have spoken to the lady in Boots and as we think do not use the stuff on face.
    She has very much advised to be use vaseline as you did and the itchyness has eased you made me think if it could be eczema around my eyes so I googled a few pics, but many look the same for psoriasis and eczema.
    Hopefully will get it sorted with GP this week and rheumy appointment is only a few weeks away.
    Thanks so much everyone.
    Roo
    Ruby