Osteo arthritis in pelvis??

Options
jennyfromthepond
jennyfromthepond Member Posts: 2
edited 22. Jan 2012, 16:08 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi,
I have just been diagnosed with osteo arthritis in my pelvic area (pubic symphysis) and the consultant I saw had never seen anything like it before so wasn't really able to offer much advice. He has suggested I have an ultrasound guided steroid injection, which I understand is quite a common treatment and not to be feared! Has anyone any experience, or know if there is anyone I could contact who may know more about osteo arthritis in this area? I'm glad to know the cause of my prolonged pain, even though its not the best news, but need to get a few more answers now!
Thank you for any advice you could share, I'm really in the dark.
Jenny

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Firstly hello! It's lovely to meet you though I am sorry you have had to find us. By the way I love the username!

Secondly, I regret that I cannot help on OA in this particular area, I have it only in my knees and ankles. I know that many on here have had guided injections (very often for hips) and that they can bring a good level of relief but everyone varies in how much relief is granted. Are you on any other medication for it? Admittedly there are not many options for OA, just pain relief and possibly anti-inflammatories, but one thing to say is that after the injection it is best to rest that area for at least 24 hours, 48 is better. This allows the steroid to really permeate the area and that maximises the possible benefits. I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    Options
    Welcome from me too

Sorry I can not help but I do hope the injection brings you relief.

Love Juliepf x
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,719
    Options
    Hello Jennyfromthepond. Welcome from me too. I've had a few steroid injections, which helped, but never in that area. I think the ultra-sound guided thing is relatively common practice but I've not had them that way. Hope it helps.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    Hi Jenny FLP

I have had a couple of injections by xray direction in my neck/shoulder and lower back and they were both extremely successful. The latter I had done in December 2009 and is still working ie no sciatica but the one done in 2006 is sadly no longer working. I was put out for both procedures so did not know a thing. This is not necessary though.

I wish you well with any injections that you have and hope they are as successful as mine have been. I have OA.

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi Jenny from the pond
    Welcome to the forum....sorry I cant help my OA is in lower spine, hips, ankle and neck
    No doubt someone will be able to help
    Love
    Hileena