anybody had a TKR go wrong

Options
babytiger
babytiger Member Posts: 360
edited 23. Jan 2012, 11:06 in Living with Arthritis archive
As a lot of you know I had a TKR 3 months ago and my poor wee knee is stuck in one position ,even physio have never managed to shift it. I try to sit with leg down but the pain is getting worse running down my leg and into my ankle bone .I go to see consultant tuesday(that's if he'll see me) but they can't leave me like this .
Just wondered if anyone has been like this Thanks
Eileen

Comments

• liesa
    liesa Member Posts: 821
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Eileen, i had my left knee total replacement 21st june 2007, its been a total nightmare ever since, i have constant pain each and everyday....
    love and hugs
    8997C823B17A6252CBCA252F4BF2932D.png
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    Hi Eileen

Both of my TKRs were ok but I just wanted to wish you all the best at your Tuesday appointment and please be firm and not leave until you are satisfied that something will be done to help you. Three months on is a long time after the op for you to not be able to move it. I am so sorry this has happened and it is up to your surgeon to offer a suitable way forward for you. I am afraid that I cannot remember exactly what happened at your 6 week check which I presume you had, but I am sure you were having big problems then and nothing much was done to help you.

I was in a lot of pain post op both times for a long time, but I did have good movement and the discomfort did finally go but it did not hurry to go away.
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • liesa
    Options
    Eileen, TKR on my left knee, then i had arthroscopy at 20 weeks post op to find out what was hindering my recovery, they found no reason so set up more physio, also i had hydrotherapy and it did get my range of movement better my knee got to 90* i had physio post op in my home and the physios got cross with me because i couldnt do the exercises like they wanted, the nurses that came to do dressings etc told me my knee was to swollen and ordered me to lie on my bed for 1-2 hours i did everything i was told to help my recovery but it is still very painful after the first 6 months or so was offered revision but refused couldnt see the point if arthroscopy didnt see any problems i wasnt gonna go through that op again i climbed the walls when they took 40 staples out of my knee, so nearly 5 years on im taking loads of medication each and everyday i have so many sleepless nights and depression big time...

Eileen I hope you get the answers you need to help you move forward
    xxxx
    love and hugs
  • babytiger
    Options
    Hi Elna and Liesa
    My 6 week check -up ,I was only seen by a registrar(although my surgeon was pottering about) I had no movement then and physio wrote a letter to say so and the pain was horrendous, bless him the lad kept relaying back to the surgeon BUT I was just told my x-rays were fine and go back to physio. THE Physio AGAIN have wrote a letter (which I have to give him) saying they can,t manoeuver the knee at all and is pointless going back to them ,at least the pain overall has subsided unless I have been pottering about the house like yesterday and boy did it come back with a vengence :shock:
    Sotrry to hear your still having bad problems Leisa but Im determined they aint leaving me like this,I will ask to see surgeon and if answer is NO ,I will leave it ,go to doc and ask for 2nd opinion and go from there ,even if they got to operate again, better than my wooden leg :lol:
  • liesa
    Options
    Hi Eileen, they may take you in and under anastetic manipulate your knee to see if there is any problems, mind you before they found out my knee was bad pre op i had xrays and mri scan which revealed no problems but arthroscopy showed my knee was bone on bone and he said i needed surgery... i tried to work on my knee as best as i could, went for everything i was ever sent to.... but have ended up at the pain clinic and being treated for 'chronic' pain... i'm just thoroughly fed up as i'm stuck like this... have even been given a knee splint thingy... makes my knee sweat badly which then creates sores... im now in receipt of mobilty allowance and did have DLA from when my knee was done but had that withdrawn now.. (thanks DC), just left me madly depressed!

i so hope you or anyone else has much better luck then me!
    love and hugs
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    If your surgeon refuses to see you THIS time, you have a case for negligence, surely? I tend to agree I would not be at all sure that I would want the same surgeon messing around with my knee after all you have been through and his apparently total lack of care post op. Manipulation under anesthesia may be suggested and I think this should be done within 6 - 12 weeks of surgery.

I am so sorry you are going through all this.

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • babytiger
    Options
    I had been searching on net about problems etc and seen about manipulation and did mention it last time I went but everything I seemed so say was being dismissed,even the nurse was trying to speak up for me about the pain I was in and he ignored both of us. Pete is seriously thinking about taking out a negligence case BUT we decided to give them one more chance tomorrow.
    Fingers crossed and will let you know how I get on.
    I would love to go back to work but as I couldn't even walk to bus stop or even sit at my till for 4 hours ,can hardly sit with my leg down for more than about 1/2 hour
    Eileen
  • babytiger
    Options
    Alsao didnt fancy manipulation as I have read that they sometimes break bones in leg due to the force which I dont fancy but maybe too much information is bad
  • jilly
    jilly Member Posts: 503
    Options
    Hi I had my knee replaced 2 months ago this is my seccond , this one is not like the first it is very painful and won't bend like it should . It does bend but not as it should . I have a lot of pain in my ankle and sometimes it runs up to my hip which is also replaced . I have'nt been able to go and see the physio yet as i have been ill . When i got home i had a infection in the wound when my inflamatory arthritis flurred up . I am really feeling feedup .
    I had trouble with my hip after having that done it turned out 1 and a half inches shorter than the other so i need a raised shoe so i am used to things going wrong .
    I feel for you i have read your other posts and you seem to have had a bad time of it. I dont know what i am going to do about my knee at the moment because i am feed up of pain and it worrys me what the physios will do when i go to see them. If you want a chat please send me a pm i would like to have someone to talk to about our problems all the best jillyxx
  • lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    Options
    I'm on my third knee and since my revision last July I have no pain in either knee. I feel my knee surgeon, last year, did a brilliant job with my leg so much so it is better than the first replacement.

I say the above not to show off but to reassure anyone facing a TKR in the near future.

Babytiger, if I were you I would have no faith in the surgeon who did your operation and it worries me that he doesn't seem concerned about how you are now he's done the operation! Any surgeon worth his/her salt would want to know the outcome of their operation and their patient :x I would ask to see another surgeon, never mind giving this one another chance, this is your life he's dealing with.

Will be thinking of you tomorrow, please let us know the outcome.

Luv,
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hi
    I havent had a TKR, so I cant advise, but I really do wish you well with it, like Elna says you make sure you are heard when you go and see them, and get over how bad the pain is
    Hope you get something done very soon
    Love
    Barbara
  • diamond
    diamond Member Posts: 396
    Options
    Hi Eileen, Sorry to hear you are not doing to well.Ihad tkr done almost 11weeks ago,i was also struggling for a while.Last week reached 82 degree bend,put this down to now using skateboard pushing it back and forward with my foot.It is horrible to have went through this op and feel worse at the end of it.Good Luck for Tuesday try to keep calm,hopefully surgeon will see you have done all you can do,now what is he going to offer to rectify this problem.Kind Regards xxx
  • liesa
    Options
    my dad is 89 next week and he has had his left leg replaced twice in 16/17 years hes amazing he goes to the town (we live in Brghton and the town is always busy) hes more mobile truely more then i am at 51! he lives alone and does almost everything for himself, i can honestly say he never says anything bad about his hes always positive, he had a different surgeon then me so maybe when the time is right to have mine redone i will look at a different surgeon,

when i had mine done i was opposite an elderly lady who was so lovely, she lived alone, she had lost both husband and son but was always so cheery, she had many lovely visitors from her little village in glynde near lewes, anyway she had her op done same day as mine but as she lived alone they needed her to be sorted before going home, we went to visit her 6 months after having them done only to find she had also lost some weight and was allowed to have the next knee done at the orthapedic hospital attached to the princess royal in haywards heath she was in and out in 4 days and was running around her lovely little cottage, all her neighbours and friends were in and out to help her, she felt fab!
    so she was 72 years of age.... so they can work well....

good luck for whatever you do manage to sort out xx
    love and hugs