Steriod Injection into Knee - Side effects?

Options
DebraKelly
DebraKelly Member Posts: 398
edited 25. Jan 2012, 08:01 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi Everyone,

I am getting my first steriod injection into the knee on Friday and I am very nervous about it.

I have been told by several people that they experienced pain afterwards for several hours and some people couldn't sleep the same night.

Has anyone had any problems with side effects after getting a steriod injection? I think it does depend which part of the body you get it done as well?

Comments

• liesa
    liesa Member Posts: 821
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi DebraKelly
    i had the steroid shot in my knee, i wont lie to you its so painful... and for the first 3 days i was in agony but.... after having the steroid shot you are told/advised to keep it for the first hours etc... i stoood in my front garden chatting to the neighbour for over an hour so it was my fault i would suggest taking paracetamol as soon as u can after the shot.... and rest it!! good luck xx
    love and hugs
    8997C823B17A6252CBCA252F4BF2932D.png
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    I had mine in the knee and it was a little uncomfortable but nothing too bad. Then they drained fluid out by tipping my body on its side and the moving was painful(I was having a terrible flare at the time). When I stood up the pain was much less and clearly noticeable. All in all a worthwhile experience for me. I had no problems afterwards.

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    It's not my favourite activity and I am thankful I haven't had it done for a while now. The aspiration is not pleasant and it is important to rest the joint properly for at least 24 hours, preferably 48 (well, that has always been the advice from my hospital) so that the steroid has time to really permeate the joint/s. I always slept much as usual and the benefits were always short-lived and to my mind not worth the bother of the procedure. I wish you well and I hope it really works for you. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,430
    Options
    Hiya

Have had a few of these jabs in various places and have to say that l have had some pain initially, but been ok overall. Just taken my painkillers and rested as per instructions.

Hope all is well for you

Love

Toni xxx
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    Options
    good luck with it, hopefully it won't be too sore. When they did mine it was quite painful but they said it would be worse because of the scar tissue from the many ops. It did settle down after a couple of days though. Do your very best to take DD's advice, rest as much as you can for about 48 hours.

best wishes, let us know how you go on..

My first ones (had both knees done together) was amazing for a month, second one didn't work but I'm currently trying to arrange another attempt.. To me if it lasts a week it's worth it as the knees are that painful.

e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • diamond
    diamond Member Posts: 396
    Options
    Had one where it was sore,another where fluid removed and injection never felt a thing.Would have like to have taken him home with me he was so gentle.As the doc said he has had plenty of practice.So maybe that is the difference.Try not to be frightened any discomfort is worth it if the injection works.Rest up for at least 24hrs.Good Luck.xx
  • tiggernut
    tiggernut Member Posts: 339
    Options
    Hi Debra,

Before I had my Knees replaced I had several steriod injections.
    I never found them that painful and I have to say the next day pain was gone and it lasted a few months as far as I remember.
    Everybody has a different pain threshold so what hurts for one doesn't for another.
    Hope it goes well for you.
    Anita.
  • jayney44
    jayney44 Member Posts: 20
    Options
    Hi

I had my ankles injected yesterday. I didn't find the proceedure painful, just uncomfortable. I was advised that I may experience some pain that evening, which I did. It was relieved with my regular pain meds. Still quite uncomfortable today, but bearable.

Think of it as like having a normal injection in a funny place. Worked for me. However, my husband went green and had to sit down rather quickly!!! :lol:

Hope it all goes well for you

Jayney xx
  • Colin1
    Colin1 Member Posts: 1,769
    Options
    Hope it all went well I had them 3 or four times all over my boddy, Shoulders, Knees, Elbows , wrist ankles. It can hurt when getting it done but the benefits outway the pain of getting it done.
    Colin
    WHEN GOD GIVES YOU LEMONS MAKE LEMONADE
  • Trayguy
    Trayguy Member Posts: 38
    Options
    Hi

I had steroid injections in both my knees about 6 weeks ago. Cant say it was painful just a bit uncomfortable.
    It has made so much difference to me. I havent needed any pain relief since having it done which is wonderful. Just hoping it lasts for a long time as it has made a massive difference to my life.
    Hope it all goes well for you

Tracey
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    had my knee done before christmas it was uncomphy not as painfull as i had worried reated for 24 hours after used ice when very painfull and paracetomal but took two weeks to kick in and helped so much val
    val
  • tjt6768
    Options
    hi Debrakelly, hope that you are going ok.
    Best of luck for friday.
    I've just been for both knees doing this afternoon at the doctors. It was ok, even with the scar tissue it wasn't bad. I can tell that the local is wearing off a little now but when you to expect it to hurt a bit the first night it's not so bad. I've just took my usual pain relief. Should be enough..

I would have had the wrists done at the same time too but he can only do the larger joints..

Best wishes :D
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • DebraKelly
    DebraKelly Member Posts: 398
    Options
    Thank all so much for this.

I'll just need to see how I go on Friday. I think its just fear of the unknown thats making it worse for me. Once I get the first one done I will know what to expect next time.

I'll just close my eye's and not look! lol

Will give you all an update on Friday.
  • tjt6768
    Options
    I'm sure you'll be fine hun. It's over with fairly quickly..
    :D
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP