Life now

Options
SheilaD
SheilaD Member Posts: 201
edited 24. Jan 2012, 16:37 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi everyone hope your having a good day :)

Just an update really on how I am feeling. As some of you know I was diagnosed with RA and OA in November last year, however I was told that they had caught it early and was put onto Methotrexate and had a Steroid injection. Within 3-4 days all the swelling had completely gone but was still painful in my wrists/hands and some fingers, ankles and knees. I have persevered with the Meth with some bad side effects at first but they seem to have subsided to a slightly nausea feeling and occasional sickness for generally one day. Over the weeks I have gone to being really limited to what I can do to actually feeling 'quite normal' :D I can navigate the stairs reasonably well and have even started taking my dogs to the park for half hour or so. But do have problems with holding things tightly in my hands.

It has now got to the point where I have stopped my painkillers. But am
keeping them handy just in case.

I have a physio appt on Thursday this week and feel that I dont really need the appt, but will attend and see what they have to say.

To all new comers don't give up this goes to prove if you catch it early there are people out there that can make a difference.

Love n hugs

SheilaD xx

Comments

• petals
    petals Member Posts: 217
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Sheila,

Fantastic news, I hope you continue to do well.

All the best Petals x
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I am positive that catching 'it' early is the key, it's lovely to hear that you are feeling so much better. I hope that you keep posting, Sheila D, as we need all the positive news we can get! DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,430
    Options
    Thank you so much SheilaD for your MTX success story :)

fabulous result and long may it last.

Here's to a010.gif you!

Love

Toni xxx
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,716
    Options
    That is so encouraging, SheilaD. Thank you for letting us know.

Yes, do keep the physio appointment. They will be able to tell you how to maintain your fitness levels.

Well done!
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • cakegirl
    cakegirl Member Posts: 50
    Options
    well done sheila, it's surprising how getting on with general everyday stuff can make you feel *normal* again.

hope you stay pain free :)
    Cakegirl xxx
  • peridotlouise
    peridotlouise Member Posts: 81
    Options
    that's fantastic :)) glad you're feeling well and that you continue to do so. keep us updated on how you're getting on.
    lots of love x
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Sheila,

You know I am a bit down just now and to read your post really made me feel a bit lighter..... its so good to know it can work and work well :D

I been on mtx sometime now... for get how long but have had so many side effects from it as well :wink: Sheila if the sickness does continue (and there is every chance it wont) maybe the injected one would help? I also got anti-emetics for the really bad days.

Tis good to see your able to go to the park.. bet they loved being there with their mum? You know Wonky had a thread about dog walking.... she has got this lead that attaches round your middle and it might be worth you reading her description and I know she would pm you the name make etc if it would hep you?

Really am pleased and so a celebratory cuppa and a ((( ))) with a bucket of well dones Cris xx
  • SheilaD
    SheilaD Member Posts: 201
    Options
    Hello and Thank you to Chris, cake girl, Periodotlouise, Stickywicket, Frogmorton, DD and Petals, for all your good wishes. I did not think I would get to this point of feeling 'normal' without all your encouragement and support. I will certainly keep you all updated on how things go.

Lots of love n hugs to you all

SheilaD xx
  • prefabkid47
    prefabkid47 Member Posts: 1,316
    Options
    Hi Sheila
    Glad the MTX is doing it's job and giving good control.I know it doesn't work for everyone and can have side effects for others.
    I have been on MTX for about 10 years (12.5mg once a week and 5 mg folic acid 24 hrs later).It continues to give very good control and fingers crossed it will continue to do so and fortunately I haven't suffered any side effects.Bloods are done every 4-5 weeks.
    Like you I always keep a supply of painkillers (and Diclofenac) handy,but very rarely ever resort to them!
    Ron x
    ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy''. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
  • Colin1
    Colin1 Member Posts: 1,769
    Options
    Hello Sheila, Well done to you, you have put a lot of work into self help and thats great to see along with the fact that you accept things as they are. Its so nice when you here good things like this and it gives others hope . Well done again

When God gives you lemmons make lemonade
    Cplin
    WHEN GOD GIVES YOU LEMONS MAKE LEMONADE
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hi Sheila
    What a lovely post, I am so happy for you I really am, it will give hope to the many people that are starting on there meds
    I do wish you well for the future, take care of yourself xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • sulkycat
    sulkycat Member Posts: 71
    Options
    That's brilliant to read, thank you for sharing.