New Knee still not right help please

Options
jilly
jilly Member Posts: 503
edited 24. Jan 2012, 14:20 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi Everyone , I am sorry I have'nt been posting for a while , but i have been reading your posts.
As some of you may remember I had a TKR done 9 weeks ago , this is my second knee replacement . I am still having trouble with it, I am still having lots of pain plus it does'nt bend like it should . I have been doing my exercising but not managing them like i should. The trouble is a pain in my knee and ankle, I am on strong painkiller but it still gets through it wakes me at night to. This is my second knee replacement and i know it is'nt going as well as the first . I think my hip is a problem it is 1 and a half inches longer since i had my hip replaced on the same side. I seem to be walking much more twisted so i think something as changed , I do wear a raised shoe.
I wondered if anyone else has had trouble like I am having , do you think the knee will bend any more or is it stuck at what it bends to now .thanks for reading my post .....jilly x

Comments

• diamond
    diamond Member Posts: 396
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Jilly, i had tkr done nearly 11weeks ago like you was struggling to get decent bend.It is only this last week that i felt an improvement reaching 82 degree bend.I go to physio class once a week.Since i started to use skateboard bend has improved, just put foot on skateboard and move it back and forward.It is im afraid a long and slow progressI was told you are given about 12weeks to get a decent bend,if not manipulation may be requiredin the future.Possibly it is your hip that is also holding you back.I hope you can get some more help from professionals very soon.xxx
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Hello jilly, it's lovely to her from you again but I am saddened that things are not going too well for you at the moment.

Any form of surgery is very invasive and it can take a while to sort oneself out after the initial operation. You say your first TKR went better, how long ago did that take place? The older one is the longer it takes to recover and heal, the slower progress can be - and feel - and when it comes to the esercises I don't think there is any 'should' about it: if you do what you can, when you can, as safely as you can and as often as you can then I reckon things will start to pick up. I have not had a TKR but, after a massive open synovectomy operation in 2002 I was told I would be getting far better results than I actually did, it took ages for everything to heal and get stronger. I have to go, I'll pop back later. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,716
    Options
    Hello jillly. I’m sorry this second TKR isn’t going as well as the first. As a veteran of 2 TKrs, 2 THRs and a Knee Revision I do have ‘form’ on this.

The first thing that comes to mind is that, if you are now 9 weeks post op, you have presumably seen both your surgeon and physio since you left hospital. What is their take on this?

Secondly, a TKR and THR on the same leg will, almost inevitably in my case at least, result in a different leg length. This should be dealt with asap by the podiatrist although it is a tricky business since the ‘new’ leg will probably ‘lengthen’ as the muscles become stronger and more supportive of the new joint. However, any discrepancy will put pressure on the new joint. If you are actually walking ‘twisted’ as a result, that will put it under a lot of pressure.

In your situation I would go to my GP, explain and get a quick appointment with either the physio or the surgeon or, preferably, both. At this early stage, you could probably just ring your old ward, which would be quicker. Above all, don’t just leave it. You need a professional on board.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hi Jilly
    Sorry I cant help, but I see that Linda has given you lots of advice, I do wish you well with it all, it must be so painful and frustrating when you are doing everything right, and the knee wont have any of it.
    Please let us know how you get on x
    Love
    Barbara
  • jilly
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your help , its good when you share your woes . I know I am not alone with my problems and pain but until you have a chat you feel like you are all alone .
    I have rung the physio today and waiting for them to ring back so i am doing something about it now . thanks again jillyxx
  • jilly
    Options
    Stickywicket , thanks for your help now that I have read your message i think the leg length is a lot to do with it as you say they will have straightened the leg with the new joint so that may be why it feels even more of a difference in the leg length .When i have been walking i am in pain for hours after , I have rung to get an appointment to have the shoes checked again . ...........jillyxx
  • lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    Options
    barbara12 wrote:
    Hi Jilly
    Sorry I cant help, but I see that Linda has given you lots of advice,

Hi Jilly, good to see you,

I'm really pleased my telepathic messages are getting through to Sticky :wink::lol::lol:
    She has given you sound advice.

I would also add that you are only 9 weeks on and the soft tissue in your bod is still healing and is probably inflamed.

Do you do your exercises after ice packing - that might help if you've not tried it.

Let us know how you go on.

Luv,
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,716
    Options
    You're doing a great job, Legs. When do I get paid for all this secretarial work? :lol:

You are definitely not alone, jilly. It really does help to share our concerns. And I'm glad you've taken action. That can be hard to do sometimes. I hope it helps.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • zechariah
    zechariah Member Posts: 222
    Options
    I am so sorry to hear that the TKR is playing up, it will be 2 years this March for mine and I am in severe pain every day, my consultant says that I cant have pain in the knee because it is a replacement, but I disagree as it is sheer hell.

You know what is happening and so let them know and dont be talked down.

I hope it eases for you

Zec
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Jilly,

Nice to see you flower but wish it was with better news.

I can't really help but think you have had some very good telepathic and secretarial advice for Sticky and as others have said in orthopedic terms 9 weeks is no time at all so hang in there and with luck it will settle and be easier and better for you. Cris x

Hey Diamond the skateboard sounds like a brilliant idea. They wont replace mine cus of the problems with the neck back shoulders and arms thing and the need to use crutches and I am thinking that would help keep the muscles that bit stronger so thank you :D x
  • magenta
    magenta Member Posts: 1,604
    Options
    Hi Jilly,

Good to see you back :wink: I can't believe that it was 9wks ago!! I'm sorry I can't help you with regards advice as I've never had a TKR.
    I just wanted to say hello and wish you well. Hope the knee starts to improve soon.

Eileen x
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,430
    Options
    Hi Jilly

just a ((())) for you and a hope. You have previously had the other knee done so even though it is only 9 weeks ago (with Magenta on this...really?? :shock: ) you do have something to compare the recovery and progress to.

Well done for contacting physio. I hope they can help and maybe look again at the raised heels in your shoes.

You take care and do let us know how you get on.

Love

Toni xxx
  • julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    Options
    Hi jilly

I am sorry to hear your knee still is not right, I have no wise words
    just wanted to wish you well very soon

Juliepf x
  • jilly
    Options
    Thanks everyone I am feeling better after posting so again you lovely people have been there for me .I will post and let you know how i go on with the physios as yet they havent rung me back . ...jilly
  • lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    Options
    You're doing a great job, Legs. When do I get paid for all this secretarial work? :lol:

Hijack alert!

Paid Sticky, PAID!!!?????? You should be grateful that I'm allowing you to type for me and therefore keeping your fingers nimble, straight and strong with all the exercise!!! :roll: :wink::lol::lol:

index.jpg

Luv,
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • bertyboy
    bertyboy Member Posts: 1,860
    Options
    hi Jilly i think its still early days yet but i am sure you know how things should feel , mine wasent right and it took me a while to get somebody to believe , and have xrays done showing what i had thought all along that it was not tracking in the valley , had it regigged last sep , still dont think its right , so my advise is dont leave it keep asking x
    I know i am a lady ,all life is a journey xx MAY xx