Smelly cat!

Options
katknapp
katknapp Member Posts: 709
edited 25. Jan 2012, 17:16 in Community Chit-chat archive
My cat has just sat on my lap and he reeks!!!!!! his breathe is like a blocked drain and he smells too! put me right off my chelsea bun!

i have seen him washing and taking care of himself and i dare not look in his mouth as i wont have any fingers left!! can you clean cats teeth??

Comments

• tonesp
    tonesp Member Posts: 844
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I don't know about cats but the vet can descale dogs teeth They give them a general anaesthetic and clean them ultrasonically If the cat is insured and like me you had a bent vet He or she will say it's clinically necessary and the insurance will pay
  • joanlawson
    joanlawson Member Posts: 8,681
    Options
    Hi Kat

I've recently had my cat's teeth cleaned at great expense.( I haven't got insurance ) Over £200 is usual because of the anaesthetic required. I think it's routine to carry out a blood test too. My final bill was £350 ( gulp!! ) because the blood test revealed that my cat has kidney failure, so he needed intensive treatment for that before the vet could do his teeth. He had 4 extractions, and the rest of his teeth cleaned and scaled.

Your cat's bad breath could indicate something else wrong besides his teeth, so I think you need to check with a vet.

Joan
    c1b3ebebbad638aa28ad5ab6d40cfe9c.gif
  • katknapp
    Options
    OMG £200 is so expensive! i choose the wrong career i think! he is insured will i be able to get it on his insurance? hes 11 or 12,so i wouldnt be surprised if its his teeth poor boy,how can vets justify that amount of money its shocking :o:(
  • joanlawson
    joanlawson Member Posts: 8,681
    Options
    I think your insurance should cover it, but you need to check. As my cat was a stray, we don't know his age, which makes insuring him difficult. However, this is the first time in 8 years that we've had a big vet bill for him.

Bad teeth can affect your cat's general health and also he could be in pain, so I would let a vet do a dental check-up.
    c1b3ebebbad638aa28ad5ab6d40cfe9c.gif
  • katknapp
    Options
    Yes Harry was from Rspca,we tend to put his age at between 11 and 12,my daughter checked her insurance there doesnt seem to be any smallprint,so i think hes off to the vets.....in the meantime we are all putting a peg on our noses!!!!! :)
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,426
    Options
    Check your insurance Katnapp...a lot do not cover teeth :shock:

But l would get them done, my bro's cat got very very poorly because his teeth were so bad...couldn't eat and not eating can do cats serious harm :( .

Love

Toni xxx
  • katknapp
    Options
    I think hes depressed too,we moved here a couple of months ago and hes seemed depressed since poor boy :(
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,426
    Options
    katknapp wrote:
    I think hes depressed too,we moved here a couple of months ago and hes seemed depressed since poor boy :(

Oh no :(

maybe the vet will prescribe some 'cAtivan'

or some SeroxCAT..or some Prozcat :wink:

Seriously he still has you so l hope he will feel better soon.

Love

Toni xxx
  • lululu
    lululu Member Posts: 486
    Options
    Healthy cats do not smell (I have just been sniffing my cat, much to his indignation - also an elderly rescue cat and he is priceless) so if a cat smells then there is something bothering him, his mouth smelling will indicate dental problems yes but a more general smel is not normal in a healthy cat. He is not happy and needs vets' attention.
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Kat,

Tis unfortunately a vet job I am afraid. It could be his teeth, it could be his kidneys, a sign of residue cat flu (not the same as cat flu but it means they have catarrh and sometimes a bit of nasal or eye discharge. tis caused by them having bad cat fly at some stage) or it could just be a bit of trapped food.... I know with mine they normally have either got gingivitis (they normally don;t clean them selves with that) or teeth trouble.

It might be as simple as a course of tablets or he might need his teeth done and as Joan said its not cheap but it can lead to kidney trouble so well worth doing.

I hope its something simple and he will soon be back to his normal un-smelly self. Cris x
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    Options
    Really hope the insurance covers it.. Ra only ever smells just after he's erm, been.. It's very short lived though..
    Cats are generally clean animals, but also cats will tty to hide pain and discomfort. Would be worth a quick visit to the vets no matter what...
    Let us know eh..?

Good luck :D
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP