Good appointment..Operation at last!

Options
tiggernut
tiggernut Member Posts: 339
edited 25. Jan 2012, 20:17 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi all,

Had my appointment today with the consultant regarding the foot sinus.
As luck would have it it flared up something chronic on Saturday and by today was bulging swollen and bright red on the top of my foot.
Anyway he confirmed the infection in the bone and said it's the second and middle toe joints which are the problem. They will open it up from the top and remove the bone. He did say my second toe had fused togther and he would get it back to how it should be with a space. Not sure what or how he's going to achieve that!! I know you can fuse a joint but I've never heard on a joint being un-fused!
Anyway, he's put me on the urgent waiting list which apparently is 6 weeks but in 6 weeks time that's not convenient for me so hopefully the week after. So, 26th ish of March.
I will be so glad to finally get it sorted after two years.
Anita.

Comments

• CJHunter
    CJHunter Member Posts: 1,038
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Tiggernut,

Am glad you got the answers you needed today. Hope you dont have to wait as long as they say .

Take care and all the best.xx
    Clare xxeyeore-1.jpg
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Anita,

I am really glad they are going to help you at last. I don't know as this will help but I lost the middle toe and joint in my left foot a long time ago (mine went to wet gangrene of all things... to do with really bad circulation and a fork with 3 year old rotted muck on the end :roll: )

Anyway I was 24 back then and that might have made it easier but it wasn't so bad in terms of recovery. My stump wasn't too keen to heal for a bit and is still a bit sensitive but well it honestly wasn't too hard to get round.

Let us know when flower and will be in your pocket. Cris xx
  • tiggernut
    Options
    Thanks Clare, I don't mind waiting now I know it's going to get sorted.

Hi Cris, Sounds awful, I too have bad circulation and what with the meds take ages to heal so fingers crossed.Wouldn't mind if they removed a toe, they are all crossed over anyway and I can't move them hardly at all.
    I also had gangerine in my finger 26 years ago. Fortunately they caught it early and I just have a slight slope at the tip but they pumped me with a drug to get the blood flow going twice a day for a week and it healed up nicely.

Anita x
  • skezier
    Options
    Hi Anita,

You know the left foot isn't as painful as the right and they say its cus the toes have more room to swell etc.... They do talk about taking one of the right as well to help....

Mine are straight cus they de-jointed them and fused them up after the gangrene thing... they got too hyper extended during the op and all the ligaments basically stopped functioning.

I also wonder if the infusion I have might be of benefit to you as well? Its called iloprost and though evil it does do the job with the circulation... might be worth running it past someone as well? I know when they did my feet the first time they were very angry and dark blue.... thats when they started the infusion and you know Anita its why i still have my feet..... its that good but it is evil..... :shock:

I also on Losart I think its called and again it might be worth talking to them about things to help the circulation maybe?

Hang in there and will be in your pocket for sure. Cris xx
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,430
    Options
    Great news Anita!!

BRAVO!

I am so pleased for you that you are soon to really get some help :D fabulous - hope the appt comes through just the right week :wink:

Love

Toni xx
  • julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    Options
    Morning Anita

That is great news

I am pleased that your foot is at last going to be sorted. :D

Juliepf x
  • tiggernut
    Options
    skezier wrote:
    Hi Anita,

You know the left foot isn't as painful as the right and they say its cus the toes have more room to swell etc.... They do talk about taking one of the right as well to help....

Mine are straight cus they de-jointed them and fused them up after the gangrene thing... they got too hyper extended during the op and all the ligaments basically stopped functioning.

I also wonder if the infusion I have might be of benefit to you as well? Its called iloprost and though evil it does do the job with the circulation... might be worth running it past someone as well? I know when they did my feet the first time they were very angry and dark blue.... thats when they started the infusion and you know Anita its why i still have my feet..... its that good but it is evil..... :shock:

I also on Losart I think its called and again it might be worth talking to them about things to help the circulation maybe?

Hang in there and will be in your pocket for sure. Cris xx

Gosh Cris your feet half gone through the mill!! I did have some drug (can't remember the name)about 20 odd years ago for the circulation but I was taken off it. I can't remember why!
    When you say the infusion is evil what do you mean?
    My feet just go white as do my fingers as I have Raynaud's. I have had bad circulation since I was a child.Always felt the cold.

Thank you Toni and Juliepf. x

Anita x.
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Oh Anits
    I am so pleased they are going to help you at last, its always a struggle to get over to them how bad the pain is,and it sound like they know what they are doing, wishing you well with everything xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • prefabkid47
    prefabkid47 Member Posts: 1,316
    Options
    Hi Anita
    Glad they are hopefully getting you sorted.Once they make a decision to do something you always tend to feel more positive about things.
    Hope they can do you sooner than they say,but if not the time will rush past.
    Please keep us updated,we will all be there for you.
    Ron x
    ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy''. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
  • Colin1
    Colin1 Member Posts: 1,769
    Options
    Hello Anita glad to hear your getting sorted at last. its not good waiting to go into hospital for an op but at least you know your getting sorted.
    Take care
    Colin
    WHEN GOD GIVES YOU LEMONS MAKE LEMONADE
  • dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,936
    Options
    Hello Anita.
    i wish you good luck with your foot op 6 weeks can go quick.
    dont worry we will be here for you.
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • tiggernut
    Options
    Thanks, Barbara, Colin, Ron & Joan for your replies.
    It may get done sooner because last night the swollen bulge on the top of my foot burst in the night. I had a fit when I saw the state of the sheet when I flung the duvet back!! Also the redness is more than it was. I went to the GP again today and he's put me on another two lots of antibiotics. He said I have to keep my eye on the redness an if it's starts travelling further go staright to A & E!!
    He said this is an infection in the bone and it's serious you don't want it getting into your bloodstream!! I felt like saying if you had listened to me way back instead of fobbing me off I wouldn't be in this state now!!
    Oh and now I have to keep going to the Nurse to get it re-dressed!!

The good news is now it's burst it's a lot less painful. Every cloud eh! :roll:
    The bad news I was hoping for a steriod injection on Monday when I see my rhuemy as my neck and shoulders are really bad at the moment and I'm tossing and turning all night, but I have no chance now I'm on antibiotics again!!

Take care everyone and I will keep you posted.
    Anita x x
  • skezier
    Options
    Hi Anita,

Glad it hurts less but really hope they will get a move on now. I know how much mess the toe made to begin with and found leaving the duvet turned back and sleeping with it on a sheet of plastic with a towel or two over the pillow it was raised on helped.

The infusion... it is evil cus it does have some hefty side effects while your having it. Once off they go almost instantly .

I get quite a few, and believe the headache is standard, but it makes up for it cus it works so well. My feet are deep blue and not looking good and by the end of day one they have gone a kind of yellow waxy colour and by 2 they are normal its that effective! The toes go the right colour the first day, through the chilblains take longer :lol:

The tablets are defe called Losartan, started n 25mg now i am on 50 and they weren't enough for me so went back on the drip after almost 12 months off it. I really can feel the difference :D

With raynaud's they often find one infusion a year is enough. Mine are a bit more than that but my circulation is bad.

It might be worth asking about some help with the circulation Anita cus its good to have I do know that much.

Fr me its like the pregabs, I will forgive it the side effects cus its so effective and in my case why I still have feet.

You let us know when they have given you a date and if they don't very soon start screaming. Hang in there and will be up for the pocket duties flower. ((( ))) Cris xx