stem cell therapy for RA?

Options
peridotlouise
peridotlouise Member Posts: 81
edited 29. Jan 2012, 15:34 in Living with Arthritis archive
i don't know much, or really anything about this... but i heard that stem cell therapy resets the immune system, and that can be used for people with RA? has anyone heard much about stem cell therapy??

Comments

• skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Louise,

It out there but not sure how far advanced it is in the UK or if its got to the RA as well as the OA side.

Sturge knows quite a bit about this sort of stuff and with luck he will see it and be able to answer some of your questions.

Its a hope eh?

Hope your dong ok and also that Sturge will see this cus he does know a lot more about stem cells and some other things that are being pioneered. Cris x
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,430
    Options
    Hi Louise

l dont know much either, but have actively followed Sturge's threads about stem cells for use in OA.

Fantastic to hear that such research is going on and there is even more hope for the future.

I haven't forgotten that there are folks on here who have had RA so long that there weren't half the meds we are lucky enough to have today.

Love

Toni xx
  • sturge8
    sturge8 Member Posts: 164
    Options
    Hi I see that you've heard something related to stem cells and RA. I'm unfamiliar with RA, but have OA in various joints. I have had numerous stem cell injections into 2 of my joints. While researching into my procedures beforehand I did not come across any evidence in stem cells helping RA sufferers – this doesn't mean there is no research being carried out though. My stem cells were injected into my joint to help repair the damage to my cartilage and surrounding tissue. If RA is an immune disease, injecting stem cells into the joint will merely help repair the damage caused to the joint, not cure or stop the disease. I think gene therapy might be the way to go for helping RA sufferers, that's just my view.
  • Mat48
    Mat48 Member Posts: 1,075
    Options
    This is interesting - does it relate to the breakthrough in research that was covered about a month ago in the Mail I wonder? I was browsing through RA Warrior - the American site that is very to the point and hard hitting - and read that arthritis is just one symptom of RA and so the name should be changed to Rheumatoid Autoimmune disease because the arthritis part is misleading re people's understanding of the disease and its implications. In fact I'll start a new thread with a link to this page - there's an idea?! Mat
    If you get lemons, make lemonade