Knees

Options
magenta
magenta Member Posts: 1,604
edited 26. Jan 2012, 16:06 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hello again,

I'm having real problems with my ankles-very sore, stiff and swollen (apparently with fluid) and limited range of motion. Every day is a struggle for me as now my knees are constantly stiff and painful. Can this all be down to having problems with your feet? I have OA in my big toes, can this alter your posture so much that it will affect other joints so badly?

Magenta x

Comments

• skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Eileen,

Oh flower I wish things were better for you.

There ain't no doubt that things being out f kilt will make other joints above be out of kilt as well but oa in the toe can really make the foot work badly and that would throw out the knees......

I can't help thinking they are missing something here..... My feet do swell as does the back come to that..... no one has ever given me a good reason why it happens though.

Just about to pm you actually.. Eileen just had to give something back to the forum cus of all the help its given me this past week.

I just so wish things were different for you. Love and a ((((( ))))) and a cuppa to follow. Cris xx
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Skeletons are beautifully balanced and articulated things until summat goes wrong somewhere then, as skezier says, things are thrown out of alignment in the most surprising places. If your feet are troublesome then it stands to reason that you will be standing and walking differently/awkwardly which will throw ankles and knees out of true. Flat feet also cause the knees to 'roll' inwards, which is why orthotic insoles are so important to get right. What a malarkey life can be, yes? :roll: It's both tiresome and tiring. I hope someone can get you sorted and soon, it's not fun having to struggle all the time is it? I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,430
    Options
    Hi Eileen

poor you :( I tend to agree with the others here....if your feet hurt then you must walk differently to try to ease them....the effect of that must be the liklihood of pressure on other bits of you...ankles are next in line then knees.

Have you seen the podiatrist yet?? Sorry braincells are weak today!

Love

Toni xxx
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    Hi Magenta, I suffer exactly the same as you! My feet and ankles swell and they can get to a point in swelling that you can't see the bend in the foot and my feet swell from a size 7 to the extreme worse a size 9!!
    My Knee's are never normal due to the fact I have Osteoporosis they seem to go up and down like a yo-yo. But the best thing I find is try raise my feet and ankles on soft cushions so my feet and ankles are up higher than my body and rest that way as long as I can. That helps with the swelling. Hope you find a solution to your swelling.
  • prefabkid47
    prefabkid47 Member Posts: 1,316
    Options
    H Magenta
    I suffered a badly swollen left ankle,X rays showed damage to the ankle joint as a result of RA and OA.
    Had a new joint last June though still get swelling (but far less pain!!) but have been told that this was part of the healing process.
    ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy''. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
  • Colin1
    Colin1 Member Posts: 1,769
    Options
    Hello Magenta sorry to hear things are so bad for you, come here and have a hug. there you go is that better. i know what its like when other parts of your body start to hurt because of the way you walk or hold your posture. I hope things get better soon. Take care
    colin
    WHEN GOD GIVES YOU LEMONS MAKE LEMONADE
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Options
    Hi ,i have ra in my feet and hands,got referred to orthotics and had shoes with special innersoles made ,joy of joy i can go out walking with barely any pain.Mig
  • magenta
    Options
    Hi,

Thanks so much everyone for replying to my post. I'm a bit better today (I think) as in my mood but not the pain. I swear by the end of the day my knees and ankles are going to explode. I've tried to think about what I'm doing when walking and I limp on my right side. I don't think though my toes have made me change the way I walk. My feet 'grow' at least 1 size by the time I finish work. All I know is that my joints are very, very painful. I give up trying to solve this one-hope the podiatrist can help.

Thanks for the hugs everyone, much needed :wink:

Magenta x
  • magenta
    Options
    Hi,

Another question. I was at a course today so instead of my usual running about mad for 6 hours, I was sitting down. My feet, ankles and knees were really achy and now they're all sore and swollen. Why?

Magenta x
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I reckon it's probably because you were sitting in the usual fashion, bum on seat and feet on the floor? There are ways around this but they take a bit of nerve and a touch of boldness. My friends are now used to me turning at right angles to the dining table and resting my recalcitrant limbs over those of my neighbour (even in restaurants) and when I used to do courses I took two chairs (and a cushion) for the same purpose. Needs must, yes? I hope things ease soon, rest now and take some pain relief and here's to a better tomorrow. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben