Counselling Offered to me - out the blue ?!!

Options
cakegirl
cakegirl Member Posts: 50
edited 25. Jan 2012, 07:25 in Living with Arthritis archive
Slightly random, went to see my GP this morning as I have a water infection, cystitis and thrush (oh the joys on top of everything else) and whilst there she asked how things where regarding my arthritis and general mood.

Me being me (anyone offering a sympathetic ear reduces me to tears) ended up getting a bit emotional explaining how I tend to bottle things up and plod on day to day seeing to the kids and not wanting to constantly moan to my husband about being ill.

She asked if I would like to be referred for some counselling sessions as I am only young to deal with it all/come to terms with things..so I said yes.

Has anyone else seen a counsellor to help cope ? I don't know how I feel at the moment, I'm slightly bewildered as it seemed to come out of the blue with me going about a different problem ?!

xxxxxxx
Cakegirl xxx

Comments

• julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I have never been to counselling cakegirl, I just wanted to wish you well and hope that the session/sessions help. I am sure they will.

Love juliepf x
  • flossy47
    flossy47 Member Posts: 171
    Options
    Hi cakegirl.

Slightly different situation but I have had counselling. I was having trouble coping with my husband's illness and the slightest thing would upset me. The counsellor let me sit and explain how I felt and what I thought the problem was. Some counsellors try to get you to relate your current situation to things in the past but this one really understood that the problem was the current situation and its impact on my life. I had about 6 meetings with her and I can honestly say it helped me. The situation has now changed and I think I could probably do with somemore sessions. I hope things turn out ok for you and the counselling helps.
    Flossy
  • kellerman
    kellerman Member Posts: 741
    Options
    Hi cakegirl,
    Doc probably thought this was a better option than anti-depressants for you.
    Take everything thats offered...my motto now...as we have to fight for everything.I do hope they help. May
  • lululu
    lululu Member Posts: 486
    Options
    That has just happened to me, came from nowhere cakegirl, I wonder if there is a special offer or new incentive for GP,s that we don't know about.
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Cakegirl,

Sorry your having all the problems there and hope they will soon clear up.

The counselling...Its a brilliant Idea!

I had years f it as it turned out :lol: Could possibly have years more as well BUT it helped me to be at ease with the conditions I have. I was at breaking point when they gave it me and had done something stupid so it was a real life line to be able to talk and get a way of dealing with the shift of a body thats being clobbered.

There are 2 kinds and I have never had the CBT type but both help no end and I so hope you will not have to-wait too long and you find it really deos help. ((( ))) and tea. Cris x

Lulu, good to see you and I hope it will help you as well xx
  • lululu
    lululu Member Posts: 486
    Options
    Thanks Chris
  • suzygirl
    suzygirl Member Posts: 2,005
    Options
    I have had counselling twice. It took me a long while to accept I was ill and was constantly making things worse for myself, by being in denial, so the gp suggested it.

It really helped me to analyse how I really felt about it all, where no one was emotionally invested in it, if you understand. I hadnt wanted to burden poor old hubby further, and friends were dismissive. Yet I had gone from being an extremely active, busy young mum to a housebound sofabound mum in a few weeks. So it was a hu7ge amount to deal with.

I think you have to be ready though to open up, and to 'click' with the counsellor. I got some great coping strategies and new ways of looking at things. It isn't for everyone, but I found it helped.

Give it a try, you have nothing to loose. By the way a water infection generally makes you feel low anyway, hope you feel ebtter soon.
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,430
    Options
    Go for it Cakegirl....it is a great idea and it has helped me no end in the past.

It is not a sign that you are 'loosing' it and should be offered, like this, before it all gets far too much for people.

Love

Toni xxx