Anyone had 2nd tkr done fairly quickly after 1st?

Options
diamond
diamond Member Posts: 396
edited 30. Jan 2012, 15:52 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi am now almost 11weeks post op on my left knee,physio progressing quite well. Ican more or less get right knee done whenever i feel up for another op,just to give about 9 weeks notice.Trying to make up my mind whether to bite the bullet and go for it sooner than later.My left knee went downhill very quickly so dont want that prob with other knee.Has anyone had ops on knees quite close together?Would like to hear from anyone who has for advice. Thanks x

Comments

• bertyboy
    bertyboy Member Posts: 1,860
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Diamond i have no advise but no doubt somebody will have some , i wish you well in your decision x
    I know i am a lady ,all life is a journey xx MAY xx
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    Hi Diamond

I had a two year break inbetween both of my knee ops. The consultant wanted me to wait as long as I possibly could before having the second one "done". We are all different but that time lapse suited me fine. I got excellent mobility very quickly but pain lasted for around 9 months. The consultant emphasised to me not to think that the second op would be the same as the first and for me the time spent in hospital post op was different. I did get good moblity with the second knee quickly too and the pain did last around the same time.

Only you can decide how long you wish to wait until the second operation if your surgeon is willing to leave the ball in your court. It also depends how badly you are being affected by the second knee. I was very grateful that I did not have to use a stick pre op but did suffer a great deal of pain/discomfort.

I wish you well in whatever you decide. I have no regrets waiting two years inbetween ops.

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,716
    Options
    As Elna says, it's a personal decision. By 1981, both my knees were rubbish and I had one done in early April and the other in early June ie as soon as I'd recovered. It may be that, having a good knee, you will now be demanding more of the 'bad' one and so it will deteriorate more quicckly. On the other hand, I think the Revision I had 2 years ago on my left knee has actually prolonged the life of the right TKR. Do whatever you and your surgeon think best.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,430
    Options
    I know nothing....(as my dad would have said)...but if your doc was happy for you to give the go ahead l tend to think maybe he/she wants it done sooner rather than later :? ???

Do let us know what you decide to do.

Love and luck

Toni xxx
  • diamond
    Options
    Thanks for the advice,going to wait another few weeks before i decide.Back from physio and was a bit disappointed bend had went down couple degrees.Just about to up sulfa to two tabs a day for my inflammatory arthritis,last couple days had bad chest and gullet pain thank goodness did not last to long.Iwas bothered with this a year ago and had endoscopy,showed up oesophagisgrade b gastritis,duodenitis plus small hiatus hernia.I got stomach tabs upped to 40mgs and it settled down.Hope its not new tabs starting this up again,going to see doc next week.Anyway thanks for listening to my ramblings. Hope you are all doing well.xx
  • lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    Options
    Hi Diamond,

I had both my knees replaced during the same operation 12 years ago. It was hard especially the first time you weight bear the day after the op but I did recover quite quickly.

It all depends whether you feel you can face going through another operation yet. You also will have some idea how the strong your new knee is.

Let us know what you decide.

Luv,
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • diamond
    Options
    Thanks Legs for replying,you were brave getting both done at once.Glad you progressed well after op.How long did you attend physio after your op?Will make my mind up in next few weeks.Kind Regards xxx
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    Options
    Good luck whatever you decide Diamond...
    Hope both knees turn out great..
    :D
    I can't have mine done till I get the inflammatory arthur under control, easier said than done, lol...

Best wishes
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    Options
    diamond wrote:
    Thanks Legs for replying,you were brave getting both done at once.Glad you progressed well after op.How long did you attend physio after your op?Will make my mind up in next few weeks.Kind Regards xxx

I don't know about brave I think it was an option because I was only 42 at the time and both my knees were shot, there was nothing to choose between them.

I was very lucky Diamond because I received intensive physio and hydrotherapy before and after the operation. I received it six weeks before and for four months afterwards and got a brill bend of 120deg. (The centre where the NHS sent me has now closed due to cost cuts. :roll: )

When I had my right knee redone in July 2011 ('cos I'd worn my other prosthesis out) I had no physio at all apart from that I received in hospital but that was because my bend was 100deg before I went home and the physios said they couldn't teach me anything.........sorry if that sounds as if I'm bragging :oops: :oops: Obviously I'd just learnt it all the first time round.

Hope it goes well whatever you decide and don't forget to let us know. :D

Luv,
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • jojo03
    jojo03 Member Posts: 77
    Options
    Hi Diamond
  • jojo03
    jojo03 Member Posts: 77
    Options
    Hi Diamond (sorry, don't know what happened with the last post - didn't mean to leave it at Hi!)

I had my first TKR (left knee) in May last year, and the right one done in August - about 12 weeks between the two. They were both as bad as each other beforehand, and although I really didn't feel like going through another op so soon, I felt I wasn't getting the full benefit of my new knee whilst the other one was still bad.

I feel great now I've had them both done. They showed me exercises at the hospital, which I have carried on at home (still do them now), and I also had a few hydrotherapy sessions after each op.

I am pain free, but my bend isn't great (it was rubbish before, there is a lot of muscle wastage apparently), so I'm still working on it. I think that's the trouble with any kind of inflammatory arthritis - the tissues around the joint continue to "flare up", even with the new knee, so I think recovery takes longer, mobility wise.

You alone know how you feel about this - the best thing for me was to have them done close together, but you're the only one who really knows what your body needs.

Take care,
    Jo xx.
  • diamond
    Options
    Thanks Jojo i have decided i am going to go for op, will phone tomorrow to set wheels in motion.Like you said not getting full benefit as other knee is getting worse.Still going to physio for other knee to try and improve bend.Kiind Regards.xxx