Is Sacroiliitis the same as ankylosing spondylitis?

Options
jceeyore1975
jceeyore1975 Member Posts: 11
edited 25. Jan 2012, 19:30 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi there

Just wondering if anyone can help. I have PSA and I am currently on Humira and MTX. Only started Humira a few weeks ago and so far so good!

Anyway, at my last Rhemy apt they did another spinal x-ray and the results came back today stating I have "Sacroiliitis"

I am getting a little confused as when I keyed it into the NHS website it took me to information about ankylosing spondylitis.

"A definite diagnosis of ankylosing spondylitis can be confirmed if sacroiliitis (inflammation of the sacroiliac joints) is apparent on an X-ray, and you have one of the following: ......"at least three months of lower back pain that gets better with exercise and worse with rest" -

.... which I do have.

So why then didn't they Rheumy call it ankylosing spondylitis instead of Sacroilliitis ???

A confused ....

JC

Comments

• julesbull
    julesbull Member Posts: 5
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi jc hope ths e mail finds u in good spirit .i was told 6 yrs ago i had spondylosis .and its not been mentioned again why dont thy tell us everything then we can help ourselfs cant we .i suffer fybroyalgia and osteoporosis and psoriatic arthritis and its gets you down doesnt it .hope we can av future chats kind regards julie x :D
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi JC,

The simple answer is no but it can be linked to some of the inflammatory types .. In my case pa and spondylitis. Its also got links with AS but it doesn't mean it it as if that makes sense.

I think you can also have it on its own but not as sure about that one.

Hope that helps and maybe the rumo is thinking it is there cus of the type you do have and not cus you have as as well? might be worth phoning and seeing if you can get him to ring you back to talk to him about it? Some will and some don;t seem to but your gp should be able to help.

I know in my case they ruled out as and said I had it cus of the pa. Hope thats some sort of help and nice to meet you. Cris x

nice to meet you to Julesbull x