rude people

Options
julesbull
julesbull Member Posts: 5
edited 26. Jan 2012, 12:10 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi all wonder if anyone can give me advice .my family and i went to [text deleted] for a post christmas meal .when we arrived the man at front of house said how many people i said 6 he looked at my wheelchair thats electric i may add .and said sorry we too busy u wll have t wait outside for 25 mins .i said its raining really bad he said i cant help you , but my daughter looked round and said you arnt even busy you have lots spaces . I knew it was because of my wheelchair .i complained to manegment thy just said come for a two for one meal if you want .i think thats pathetic .i was so upset .what would you advice i do .thanku julie x

This message did not comply with the forum terms and conditions rule 2.7 and has been edited by the moderator AC

Comments

• toptottie10
    toptottie10 Member Posts: 35
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I would write to head office and / or local paper, my opinion is they are discriminating against disabled folk..........
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    Options
    I'd insist on the person on the front of house being re trained for a start. That's awful.
    If I was you I woulda get on to their head office and put in an official complaint.

Hope you are ok, don't let idiots upset you..
    :D
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • babytiger
    babytiger Member Posts: 360
    Options
    Thats disgusting, you can't discriminate against disabled people nowadays.
    I agree with everyone else get in touch with head office.
    Eileen
  • flossy47
    flossy47 Member Posts: 171
    Options
    Definitely complain to head office. I used to work as a waitress and that kind of attitude needs to be sorted out. It is against the law as stated in the Equality Act.
    Flossy
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Write a letter detailing events to the management and copy in your MP and local press so the management know who else is reading their letter. Make sure that everyone knows how appallingly you were treated - and find a new restaurant to visit - don't grace their premises again, they don't deserve your valued custom. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • kellerman
    kellerman Member Posts: 741
    Options
    I totally agree. Definately contact head office and certainly your MP.
    My gran...who was disabled lived in a council bungalow and they were putting new windows in. They had taken a large living room window out and didn't come to put the new one in.
    She sat up near the window all night in a chair...anything could have happened....none of the family were aware of this until the next morning.
    There was a large photo and a story about it on the front of the local paper.
    Worth contacting....definately.
    If it was me I certainly wouldn't let it go. How ignorant and discusting.
    Go for it...you have nothing to lose. May
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    I agree with the others..you must get in touch with head office, then hopefully this doesn't happen again... telling you to wait outside in the rain, for god sake who do they think they are, I know what I would have done ...but thats another thread. :shock:
    Hope you get some answers
    Love
    Barbara
  • SheilaD
    SheilaD Member Posts: 201
    Options
    Oh how awful, report them to head office or go to the papers. There is still a lot of discrimination to the disabled out there, some people have no understanding and are so annoying.

Love n hugs

SheilaD XX
  • tiggernut
    tiggernut Member Posts: 339
    Options
    I fully agree. It's appalling. Name and shame them with a letter to your local paper and write to Head office and complain.
    We are all supposed to be poliitically correct nowadays. That wasn't very PC. Damm right rude in fact.
    Good luck,
    Anita.
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    Hi Jules

It is a shame that you had not booked as that would put a different light on the matter. The fact that there were spaces did not mean that the tables were not booked. Nowadays restaurants appear to book two lots of people to each table per night in busy periods and popular nights and of course they cannot know in advance if the clients will vacate in time. We went out in a large group in London on a Saturday night with friends in October and had to wait, albeit inside but in a cramped area outside the cloakroom area for our reserved table to be vacated and wiped over. The least they could have done was given us a drink on the house but of course they did not, for "round two" of the evening.The bar was next door but why should we have bought our own drinks whilst waiting, so we did not. The friends who actually booked it, were livid but they knew it was a good restaurant so we waited. The restaurant knew that if we had left they could fill that table very quickly.

I, like you, would have been terribly upset but quite honestly would I have wanted to wait and eat there after that kind of treatment? I would write to head office and see where that leads but quite a time has lapsed since the event as it is now nearly the end of January.

You do not say if you waited or left. If you did wait and eat there, you can write a damning review on their website for starters.

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • julesbull
    julesbull Member Posts: 5
    Options
    Hi thanku all for ur support and kind
    Word i didnt eat their but i did write to head office.thay said i was to phone them a.d leave my telephone no they would ring me straight back but it took four days and head office got the manager of the resturant that i was turned away frm .and guess what he was quite rude too i went wth my two daughters and 3 granddaughters but the manager said u can bri.g one daughter a one granddaughter .and u must come in the daytime for the two for ten pound tut tut i will take all advice and ring headoffice again tom .thanku all .kind regards jules xxxx :)
  • jillyb1
    jillyb1 Member Posts: 1,725
    Options
    Just seen this and I'm really shocked by the treatment you received ; I'm a wheelchair user and can honestly say that I've always been treated with respect and courtesy when we eat out ( which is quite often ) ; please keep us posted about any response you get from their head office . Jillyb
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    Hi again Jules

Thinking about it, although you did not eat there that evening and quite right too, you can still write a negative review on their website explaining why you did not wish to wait after the impolite reception you received by the staff. If you keep it polite, as they are checked before they are published, but voice your opinions forcibly it should be put on the local restaurant website for all to see.

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,414
    Options
    I have a friend who received very bad service at a restaurant...she wrote a complaint to head office. She received a voucher for a meal for the two o fthem who were there. When they had their 'compensatory meal' they were treated really well :)

Good luck!!

Love

Toni xxx