How do you recognise a flare is on its way???

traluvie
traluvie Member Posts: 2,579
edited 27. Jan 2012, 05:06 in Living with Arthritis archive
Only a short message as my hands not great,
Wondered how people recognise a flare coming??

I have noticed i get very cold and weak and generally feel crap then slowly the pain and swelling builds up in my hands, i have only recognised this through my blog by keeping track, so my blog has become very useful in identifying things.
th_tn_TisFORTIGGER.jpgxxTracyxx

Comments

• dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Tracy,

Hope the flare settles soon-it's miserable isn't it! Like you, I know it's coming when I get weary beyond words and chilly, then the swelling and pain kick in. -Just getting over a horrible flare up-thank heavens for steroids! Back to work tomorrow full of guilt for missing 2 days-but I could barely move.

Deb x
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    I'm the same with the exhaustion bit.. I get way beyond tired etc. plus I get a fuzzy feeling in my joints before the bad pain arrives...
    Anyone else get that weird sensation in their joints? It's like they are buzzing...
    Probably just me, I'm an odd ball, lol..
    :D
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • GraceB
    GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
    Traveluvie,
    I have OA so can only say what happens with that, you've got RA haven't you? Apols if I'm wrong.
    With me, I start to ache more than usual and the pain intensifies. Also the inflammation increases and without realising it I'll start rubbing joints in rotation. I tend to check the weather on the old tinternet and look at the humidity. Chances are, if it's dry and I'm aching, when I look at the humidity it's over 90% - all then becomes very clear.
    I tend to then retreat to a hot bath, use my "hottie doggie" one of those wheat bag things in the shape of a very cute dog, and increase my meds.
    Oh - and my usual chocolate/coffee/wine remedy of course. Don't forget, chocolate when taken for medicinal reasons is calories, sugar and fat free, in fact, it's positively good for you!
    Hope everything settles soon for you.
    Take care,
    Grace.
    Turn a negative into a positive!
  • traluvie
    tjt6768 wrote:
    I'm the same with the exhaustion bit.. I get way beyond tired etc. plus I get a fuzzy feeling in my joints before the bad pain arrives...
    Anyone else get that weird sensation in their joints? It's like they are buzzing...
    Probably just me, I'm an odd ball, lol..
    :D

I can get a funny feeling too inbetween throbbing and buzzing, whatever that is lol..
  • traluvie
    dibdab wrote:
    Hi Tracy,

Hope the flare settles soon-it's miserable isn't it! Like you, I know it's coming when I get weary beyond words and chilly, then the swelling and pain kick in. -Just getting over a horrible flare up-thank heavens for steroids! Back to work tomorrow full of guilt for missing 2 days-but I could barely move.

Deb x

I am glad i had my steroid jab before xmas otherwise i would be alot worse.
    Wonder if anyone else gets cold/chilly before flare..

You have RA??
  • traluvie
    GraceB wrote:
    Traveluvie,
    I have OA so can only say what happens with that, you've got RA haven't you? Apols if I'm wrong.
    With me, I start to ache more than usual and the pain intensifies. Also the inflammation increases and without realising it I'll start rubbing joints in rotation. I tend to check the weather on the old tinternet and look at the humidity. Chances are, if it's dry and I'm aching, when I look at the humidity it's over 90% - all then becomes very clear.
    I tend to then retreat to a hot bath, use my "hottie doggie" one of those wheat bag things in the shape of a very cute dog, and increase my meds.
    Oh - and my usual chocolate/coffee/wine remedy of course. Don't forget, chocolate when taken for medicinal reasons is calories, sugar and fat free, in fact, it's positively good for you!
    Hope everything settles soon for you.
    Take care,
    Grace.

Thanks Grace.. i have inflammatory arthritis, just not sure which one..have oa too.., My appetite is zero when in flare have to force myself to eat, have a bowl of hot shreddies infront of me now, been there half hour and took 2 mouthfuls, looks like dogs can have it lol
  • tjt6768
    At least now I know I'm not the only one with buzzing joints, lol.. Hey, buzzing joints, must be the new nightclub for arthritics haha...
    Do you think the dj will play 'dem bones dem bones'
    or 'the drugs don't work'?? :D
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • traluvie
    tjt6768 wrote:
    At least now I know I'm not the only one with buzzing joints, lol.. Hey, buzzing joints, must be the new nightclub for arthritics haha...
    Do you think the dj will play 'dem bones dem bones'
    or 'the drugs don't work'?? :D

:lol: i have loads of weird sensations lol..and i am weird too so you not the only one..

I reckon "drugs don't work" is defo the right song for me at the moment :lol:
  • tjt6768
    it should be the forum anthem hun. Lol
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Hey Tracey my fellow Redditch dweller! I get very chilly and exhausted and I get like sharp stabbing pains in the area effected and the area goes numb. Very weird I know! But that the couple of days before the on set of major pain!
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    I know that one is on its way when I feel more tired than usual, more achey and somehow 'fluey' all over. My tolerance of the pain lessens and I become quite tetchy. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • traluvie
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    I know that one is on its way when I feel more tired than usual, more achey and somehow 'fluey' all over. My tolerance of the pain lessens and I become quite tetchy. DD

Yes i understand what you mean about fluey, i kind of feel like that, when i look back now, i have often thought i am coming down with something but then i start ballooning and swearing in my head lol..x
  • traluvie
    bubbadog wrote:
    Hey Tracey my fellow Redditch dweller! I get very chilly and exhausted and I get like sharp stabbing pains in the area effected and the area goes numb. Very weird I know! But that the couple of days before the on set of major pain!

Yes mine is few days before too, thought it would be interesting to know how it is for others and if there was much difference..xx
  • jillyb1
    jillyb1 Member Posts: 1,725
    Tired , cold and shivery , feels as if the joints are stuffed with cotton wool , and then extra aches . Jillyb
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    first off feel down for no reason then as if getting flu and yes stiff swell and hot joints not a good feeling val
    val
  • bounce
    bounce Member Posts: 106
    Im the same as most of you regarding a flare up on the way, I get dog tired, lose my appertite, I cook the meal feel really hungry plate it up and bang Im suddenly not hungry, its so annoying.

My joints particually my hands go icy cold even with my arthritis gloves on, and its a weird feeling, like my hands dont feel like my hands, it is hard to describe how it feels, and then the pain level shoots through the roof, and I know im in for a fun few days to 3 weeks of it.

I tend to use my warm wax bath, my wheat bags and have a thick fleecy blanket draped over my legs and I snuggle my hands under it too, and keep up with all my meds.

and I think of the gloria gayner song "I will survive" :wink:
  • traluvie
    My hands go icy cold too and i find it hard to get them and keep them warm..
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    traluvie wrote:
    bubbadog wrote:

Yes mine is few days before too, thought it would be interesting to know how it is for others and if there was much difference..xx
    Your right it's an interesting topic as it's one that effects all of us and it's great we can share thoughts and see how different each of ours is. Great topic Tracey! Hope your flare up's behaving it's self and your all doing o.k. You know where I am if you need to talk sweetie.xx