Would my cat's arthritis medication work for me?

Options
GraceB
GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
edited 27. Jan 2012, 09:16 in Living with Arthritis archive
My Camilla is 17 and arthritic. She's on a well-known liquid medication for arthritis in cats (those of you with elderly cats may well have seen the purple and white boxes).

Now, we dose Camilla up with her two drops of her M****cam and within hours she's looking perkier, brighter and you can see she's more comfortable.

Why don't my medications work like that? It's not fair! Bearing in mind the amount of money I spend at the vets over the duration of a year on my two cats, do you reckon he'd prescribe this stuff for me? Difficulty is, I think I'd need a hell of a lot more than 2 drops every second day ...

G.
Turn a negative into a positive!

Comments

• traluvie
    traluvie Member Posts: 2,579
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I doubt it would work for you as well as your cat, if only it did eh?..xx
    th_tn_TisFORTIGGER.jpgxxTracyxx
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    There is only way to find out - :shock: - AND PLEASE DON'T! I suspect she perks up as she is smaller and possibly has a different metabolism to us. Can animals have the immune-system based types, or OA, or both? :? I bet skezier knows! DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    Options
    Is it meloxicam? Us humans can take it too. However, I would highly recommend you don't try your cat's medicine because of the differences in doseage. Also, as frustrating as it is, not all medications work the same way for 2 people, let alone one person and one cat. My dog dislocated his knee, was prescribed one tramadol, slept for 12 hours straight and woke up like a new dog. I occasionally take tramadol and it doesn't have the same effect as me.

It is a type of NSAID and if you haven't given it a go, it might be worth speaking to your GP.
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi
    Yes ....talk to your GP......I doubt that the same dose would help and its a bit "iffy" trying to decide what dose to give yourself :wink:
    Or talk to the helpline

Love
    Hileena
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,417
    Options
    Hi Grace

l checked with my vet and someone off here who knows a bit about animals and have been told it is an anti-inflammatory. That's why it works so well.

Don't take it Grace :shock: you mights start mewwing or something :wink:

:lol:

Love

Toni xx
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    lol Toni!

I have read that dogs and humans can both take glucosamine (sp). I Wonder if it is the same with this cat medication and I expect it has been tested on humans at some point. It does sound good!

E xx
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    One of my friends is a vet and I remember that a few years ago he was treating a pig with sulphasalazine. I was into my ninth month of it and he told me that the pig was doing well! DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,925
    Options
    Hi Grace.
    i was on that and when my dog went on it i asked the vet about it he said we need more of it than a dog would.
    it stopped my dog from being lame it did not stop me i wonder why.
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    Options
    would you take it with milk :lol:

a really interesting question, perhaps as others have said, check with your gp........then find out who is cheaper......vet or gp prescription :lol:

juliepf x :D