How long does a flare up last?

Options
kellis
kellis Bots Posts: 69
edited 26. Jan 2012, 13:33 in Living with Arthritis archive
Ok, this is probably a daft question! How long does a flare up last?

I've had RA for 4 ish years. The first couple of years I had good days and bad days, or possibly a good couple of weeks and a bad week. Pain was usually confined to 1 or 2 joints. I thought that was a flare up.
My medication got sorted - Mtx and Humira - and I spent the next couple of years pain free more or less. Bliss.
Now, for the last 2-3 months I have been in pretty much constant pain over pretty much every joint (bar hips) at the same time. My fingers are swollen and won't bend, ditto ankles and my knees are very stiff. Nodules all over the place! I've been taking Paracetemol daily, tried Celebrex which did nothing, had a spell on cortisone which was good but they don't want me on it, and today I've been given diclofenac to try - fingers crossed (if only I could!)
So, is this a flare up? Or is this just life :(

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I bet you know what I am going to say - everyone is different! :) I know that when I flare I feel 'fluey' - very tired, even more aches and pain than usual, and then it wears off after a few days or weeks - I just wake up feeling brighter and it's done until the next time. I too have been on meth and humira since July 09 but not once in all that time has the pain ever diminished, let alone gone. It could be that you are flaring because your body is getting used to the meds, it could also be that the combination is losing its effectiveness - that does happen, it's just that nobody knows when. I have just started taking diclo and that has made a difference (I was given it for pulled rib muscles but there have been some knock-on benefits too) so I hope it helps you. I also hope you feel better soon. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,427
    Options
    Hi Kellis

mmm....l don't call teh odd bad day or two a flare, but a week or longer, feeling generally unwell, extra stiffness AND pain. That's a flare for me and can last anything from a week to 2 months...for me.

If it went on beyond that l woldl be seeing someone about it incase my meds needed changing or they had any other ideas.

When l have a flare l take acroxia 90mg (anti-inflam) and co-cos. use ice/or heatpacks etc.

I hope you feel better soon :?

Love

Toni xxx
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    i can tell when i am going into a flare because my mood changes get down and start to feel exhausted then swelling pain stiffness follows it can be couple of days or weeks it does vary so sorry i am no help at all good luck i do find resting when you need to helps recovery time val
    val