Raised liver enzymes!

keith1971
keith1971 Member Posts: 302
edited 27. Jan 2012, 14:01 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hey all,

Just wondering if anyone's had experience of abnormal bloods, i.e. raised liver enzymes, as a result of methotrexate?

My enzymes were slightly raised in December (69) and I was tested again on Wednesday & they came back in the 200's!! Nurse rang & has put the fear in me a little! Off meth for this week & I have to go back on Monday for another blood test and if things haven't come down slightly, most likely a liver scan!

Would like to hear about other people's experience with the same issue.

Many thanks,

K.
315yexv.jpg

Comments

• janie68
    janie68 Member Posts: 1,186
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Keith

I'm going through exactly the same! Mine 225 last week, if they don't go down then I'm off my meds and liver scan. Although I think they're overreacting with the potential liver scan.got to have lots and lots of blood tests next week. Feel fine apart from the usual RA. Doctor asked do you drink? Eerr, no due to my MTX.

They think mine is being caused by the abatacept infusion as I started it last month. Lets hope for both of us, we get it sorted.

Janie
  • keith1971
    keith1971 Member Posts: 302
    Hi Janie,

Nice to 'meet' you. Sorry to hear we're both in the same boat! I feel fine too (like you said, no worse than the usual arthritis yuck feeling!).

I did have the norovirus over Christmas time which then led into a horrible phlegmy cold, during which I continued to take my 17.5mg of meth so I'm hoping it's the combination of meth and my body having to fight off two infections that's done it as my bloods have been normal up until now.

I'll be mightily pissed off if the meth has now triggered off some kind of liver disease! Sometimes it feels like you can't win with arthritis, one issue after another.

:-/

K
    315yexv.jpg
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Hi Keith it good to have you back with us...only I am sorry about the circumstances
    Sorry I cant really help, apart from I have just had an high liver reading due to taking statins...and it was my first blood test...cant win can we...I hope it all gets sorted for you...suppose its good that we have these blood test in the first place,
    Wishing you well with everything x
    Love
    Barbara
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Hi All, I went thru the same thing with meth raised liver come off meth liver dropped to near normal,back on meth same thing happens so onto lef okay on that for 6 months then all hell breaks loose liver count abnormal ,panic attacks wont say they are due to the leth or liver,attacks were so bad i had to have a low dose of diasepan for a week learning how to control them without it ,just waiting for results of latest bloods,if still abnormal will be sent for scan,oh bxxxxxxs life such fun. :oops: Mig
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,336
    Popping in to say hi to you Keith,

hope your wife and littleun are doing ok??

also hope this settled down for you and all is well - you too Janie!!

Love

Toni xxx
  • nanarose
    nanarose Member Posts: 117
    Hi.

I have been on and off, more off than on, to be honest, mtx for months now. My levels were much higher than normal a while back, so I've had to struggle along without it for months.. I also had a liver scan done which revealed that I have a 'fatty' liver apparently, which can cause liver levels to be higher than the norm. It's a very simple procedure to have an ultrasound scan, so don't worry too much about it, and it does give the Rheumatologist important information.

It's strange that I started my treatment with very low, normal levels, so I am finding it odd that in 16 months I have developed this condition.....especially as I don't drink at all now, and very rarely in the past.

It seems that within a couple of weeks my liver just doesn't like the mtx, and I end up being taken off it again, so I wonder what will be my next poison of choice if I am yet again taken off the mtx.

Apparently my Rheumy, according to my GP, who has been fantastic keeping me up to date with all the goings on behind the scenes, will now only allow my levels to reach a maximum of 60-90 and as from a couple of weeks ago I was allowed to resume the mtx, though at a lower dose of 17.5mg.
    I'm due my blood results on Monday so I just hope they are OK this time round.

It does seem that each person has their own 'normal' level, and each Rheumy too has a level which they considerer safe and appropriate.

I wish you well.
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Hi,I came off meth altogether because of repeat high liver count levels,now after over 6 months on lef the same thing is happening,just waiting for latest blood results if not dropped will be sent for liver scan.Ihave had a couple of really bad panic attacks,are these due to raised liver count?has anyone else been the same?this sounds a bit more coherent than my last post as i have had two good days.Mig