Resurfacing Op booked

Options
SusieG
SusieG Member Posts: 30
edited 18. Feb 2012, 17:49 in Living with Arthritis archive
After having my first hip injection last October, which was fantastic but only lasted about 7 weeks, I had another one in January, that has taken the edge off the pain but doesn't seem to have worked. I have now got a re-surracing op booked for the 2nd March.

I have talked to various people who have had hip replacements but noone I know has had a hip resurfacing so any thought, help, advice would be very greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Sue

Comments

• julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Sue

sorry, no advice :( I just wanted to wish you well for the 2nd

Juliepf x :)
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hi Sue
    Sorry I'm another that cant offer any help, but I am sure someone will be along very soon.
    I really do wish you well for op, and please let us know how you get on xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    Options
    Can't help either mi dear but really wish you the best of luck. The injections can be hit and miss eh? I've just had both knees done again, hoping for decent results..

Take care, we'll all tag along for pocket duties on the second of march if you want :D
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    Hi Sue

I would suggest you click on Search at the top of the page inbetween Members and FAQs. There are 11 pages of postings chatting about hip resurfacing.

Hope that may help you a little. I wish you all the very best with your forthcoming op. Do please let us know how you go on.

Have a good weekend, :)

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,426
    Options
    Well done for getting it booked in.

March the 2nd will soon be here. Bet you are feeling scared and ecited and all sorts of emotions...l know l would be.

Lots of luck from me :)

Toni xxx
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I am glad to hear that things are on the move for you - and sorry to hear that the steroid was not too effective this time around, they are temperamental things and very choosy about whether to help or not. :roll: I beg to be excused pocket duties on that day as I will be busy being 53 for the first time but I sincerely hope that all goes well for you: make sure you convalesce properly, yes? No horse riding for a good while after! DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi
    Sorry cant help with resurfacing.......had a THR but thats it

Love
    Hileena
  • speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    Options
    Hi Susie,

my last hip op was a resurface-replacement. I had a Birmingham hip. I have also had a THR (that wasn't entirely typical - so wasn't as a good a result as it should have been. So I can't properly compare the two.)

My resurface-replacement is FAB!! Near normal range of movement, no deep bone pain and the fact that if it wears out, it can easily be replaced (whereas revisions to THR are more problematic.) I waited too long to have it done, and my muscles aren't as strong nor have as much stamina as I would like ...) I wish I could have had this op first time round on the other hip.

You do need a surgeon who is experienced in the op to ensure it is successful - so google your surgeon to check he has sufficient experience.

Let me know how things go, PM me if you like as I'm not on the forum as often as I used to be.

Speedy
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • emsjane
    emsjane Member Posts: 351
    Options
    I had a hip-resurfacing done on my left hip and unfortunately i can't say it helped at all. In fact i would say was am alittle worse off!

It made no difference to my pain or range of movement and when i now sit on a hard surface on that side it feels like the bone is touching the chair with no fat/tissue to cushion it like my other side has.

However, the doc did say to me at the time that he did the best he could but that i really need a hip replacement, so perhaps mine was left too long before having it done.

I am considering pushing for a THR but when i asked my Rheumy she said i was abit too young at the moment (42) and that i need to try all the drugs first!! Which i don't get cos if the damage is done then surely the drugs make no difference!

Anyway, that is just my story, im sure there are success stories too!

Good Luck!
    LOVE EMMA X
  • speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    Options
    Emsjane, my hip was pretty far gone, I had been meant to have a periacetabular octomy but my hip was too deteriorated and the surgeon suggested a THR. I returned to my original surgeon who agreed to try the BHR. Hence I had a resurface-replacement. This involved smoothing off the femur head and fitting of a metal cap which also had a rod that fitted down inside the femur to keep it secure. They also smoothed out my socket and fitted a cup at the correct angle in which the femur could fit. (My hip had been semi dislocated for years.)

I also believe that some folks have resurfacing when the head of the femur and socket are "planed" smooth and no prosesthis is used.

I'm sorry that yours was not a good result.

SusieG - hence I advise you to find out more about your op and your surgeon's experience. I can only recommend the op that I had the Birmingham hip.

Speedy
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.