edited 29. Jan 2012, 20:31 in Living with Arthritis archive
Can restless legs be caused by meds.Mig

Comments

• elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Oh, dear Mig

Restless Legs Syndrome. :shock: You have my sympathies big time. Thank goodness mine seems to go into remission for long periods. My last bout was the involuntary movement of my legs which I had never had before and that was frightening at first as well as waking me up and it was happening in the day when I sat down too.

Not sure if meds can actually start you having RLS but some drugs definitely do not help matters at all. Which drug were you thinking of?

Unfortunately not many doctors have a lot of knowledge about RLS.

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • elnafinn
    Options
    Hi again Mig

You have RA if I remember rightly?

Wikipedia
    associated conditions include certain auto-immune disorders such as Sjögren's syndrome, celiac disease, and rheumatoid arthritis.

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Options
    Stopped lef 4weeks ago because of abnormal liver count(just had bloods done again)started on hydroxychloroquinine 2 weeks ago,take dihydrocodeine and omeprazole,do have naproxen but not taking it at the moment.Mig
  • elnafinn
    Options
    Over-the-Counter Drugs
    Over-the-counter cold and allergy medicines may also bring on restless legs syndrome. It has been discovered that a main component of allergy medicine, diphenhydramine, makes RLS symptoms three to four times worse. People who have RLS have more receptors in their brains for this type of antihistamine, which affects their nervous system and sleep-wake cycle.

Prescription Drugs
    Anti-nausea drugs, anti-seizure medicines, and some anti-psychotic drugs or tranquilizers can increase RLS symptoms. While some types of antidepressants, occasionally appear to lessen the symptoms of RLS, they are more likely to aggravate them.

I have heard RLS can be aggravated by taking amitriptyline.

Iron deficiency anaemia can also induce RLS.

Elna x

• bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    Hi Mig, My OH has restless legs and I've woken up with bruises on my legs and luckily I have no feeling in my legs so didn't feel him kicking me just the moving when he was wiggling about. Plus he snores like a hippo on heat! So I do feel for anyone who suffers with restless leg syndrome as my OH wakes up feeling like he hasn't had a good nights sleep at all, and I tell him he was doing a marathon in his sleep!
  • ironic
    ironic Member Posts: 2,361
    Options
    Hi Mig,

I also have bouts of restless legs and as I am not the best sleeper in the world it doesn’t help.

I do try the stretching exercises but not sure whether they help or not.

Good luck with the hydroxy, I have been on 2 x 200 a day for long time now and although it did take a good while to work for me they have helped.

Oh Bubba, my OH suffers with cramp in his legs and snores so I know where you are coming from. :shock:
  • Poppyg1rl
    Poppyg1rl Member Posts: 1,245
    Options
    Hi Mig,
    Oh I'm so sorry that you're suffering with restless legs, I had it through all of my pregnancies, it drove me and my husband bananas! I did manage to control it a little by avoiding caffeine after lunchtime, I know it sounds daft but certainly for me, it really helped.
    Sending you lots of love and hoping it calms down for you. :D X
    'grá agus solas'
    'Love and Light' translated from Irish. X