Anti-inflammatories and hearing loss

Options
Starburst
Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
edited 31. Jan 2012, 06:01 in Living with Arthritis archive
Good evening,

I have not been quite myself over the last few months; I've been shouting, turning the TV up loud, getting grumpy in busy places if if I'm trying to focus on a conversation and leaving the house early to ensure I get a front row seat in my lectures.

My GP was concerned and looked at my notes. I saw an ENT surgeon in 2009 when my hearing remained poor after an ear infection. The hearing test showed some hearing loss and requested a follow up. I don't recall getting this letter and for reasons I don't remember, I never followed it up. My hearing has continued to deteriorate. A medical student friend of mine said there is a link between anti-inflammatories and hearing loss. I wondered if anyone else has heard (ho ho!) about this or has even experienced hearing loss themselves?

Thanks for reading!
Sophie

Comments

• Colin1
    Colin1 Member Posts: 1,769
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello Sophie, thats a new on on me but you should look them up on the net and see what the side effects are.
    Colin
    WHEN GOD GIVES YOU LEMONS MAKE LEMONADE
  • kellerman
    kellerman Member Posts: 741
    Options
    Hello Sophie,
    This is a new one on me too. I would go back to your GP and tell him what you have told us.
    It really needs sorting out before it gets worse.
    May
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hi Sophie
    I remember.. reading somewhere...when I googled my antiinflams..they are diclos that they could and I say could effect the blood flow to the cochlea,,think thats how you spell it...I do hope you get it sorted..good luck with everything
    Please let us know how you get on x
    Love
    Barbara
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Ooooh tricky: we know a lot on here about our meds etc but I doubt we're technical enough for an answer. I found Barbara's post interesting as I have just started diclos to help with pulled rib muscles but who knows how these things can affect us individually? I think you should definitely go back to your GP to pursue this. Good luck and let us know how you get on, yes? DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • ironic
    ironic Member Posts: 2,361
    Options
    Hi Sophie,

I agree go back and get things looked into again. My hubby is very hard of hearing but will not get help, so I get very upset for him as he does miss parts of a conversation and like you does not like going into places where there is noise and music is being played.

I have not heard about any connection with anti-inflams and hearing loss either. I had infection many years ago and lost most of my sense of smell so I do know that infections can have a lasting effect if not treated.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

I x
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    Options
    I've read my post back and realised I didn't say I was referred back to the ENT. I managed to get a private appt and I'm going next week.

Thanks for all the replies. Will keep you updated!