Arthritis in neck and nausea

suzygirl
suzygirl Member Posts: 2,005
edited 5. Feb 2012, 14:58 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi all,

My neck has really been giving me trouble for the last week, even more than the usual stuff. Walking and moving is making me feel sick. I have been taking the painkillers with no real relief. It almost feels as if a nerve is trapped, yet I don't think I have one trapped. Hubby massaging the area made it worse, when usually makes it better.

Anyone else have this? Any tips? Sick to the eyeballs of meds, so appreciate non med tips, but am open to suggestion!!!!

Hope all are ok.

Comments

• Poppyg1rl
    Poppyg1rl Member Posts: 1,245
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Suzy my lovely,
    I'm so sorry to hear that your poor neck is causing you all this pain, I really can sympathise, as at the moment my back feels like I'm being electrocuted...very sharp pain that catches your breath, I sneezed earlier and thought I was going to pass out. :(
    Suzy can you get to see your GP? if it is a trapped nerve they'll be able to confirm it, and if not it definately needs investigating hon. Does heat help? or cold? whichever works for you, My hubby has rigged up a 'contraption' with one of his belts and 2 hot water bottles, I look completely loony but I'm past caring I'm afraid :D
    Suzy you're not alone with your pain hon, I know that is small comfort when the pain is so bad but, we're here for you anytime you need to chat, thanks to this blasted back I'm not sleeping well, I'm managing a couple of hours in Betsy my wheelchair funnily enough, so pm me if you need to talk anytime.
    Love and lots and lots of gentle hugs (((((()))))) Xxx
    'grá agus solas'
    'Love and Light' translated from Irish. X
  • dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    Hi Suzy, Sorry to hear you're struggling - hope it fades away soon. When my neck plays up it makers me nauseous too-sometimes just looking at the computer keyboard is unbearable. Have you got a soft collar for support? The rheumatology nurse got me one fitted from the orthotics department-it looks awful and makes me very self concious so I try only to wear it at home, but it definitely gives some relief. Also find one of those sausage shaped warm wheat packs gives me some relief, especially with a few drops of lavender essential oil which smells wonderful and is relaxing.
    Hope you get a decent nights sleep.
    Deb x
  • CJHunter
    CJHunter Member Posts: 1,038
    Hi Suzy, i empathise. as Poppy said , you should try n see doc to rule out nerve and then they can investigate if its not.

take care hun.
    xx
    Clare xxeyeore-1.jpg
  • nanasue
    nanasue Member Posts: 465
    Hi Suzy,

I can completely relate to this, I have the same problem and when it's bad I find it hard to sleep. I start popping pills like smarties and I have a heat pad and anti-inflammatory gel but all that just takes the edge off. I find the only real relief is to see my osteopath. I usually go regularly about every 6-8 weeks and that just keeps me ticking over nicely. I should have gone 2 weeks ago but car problems and other things prevented me. I went yesterday and am now pain free after having the most wonderful night's sleep for ages. I know it's expensive (NHS won't pay) but it works for me. I'm not saying you should go, just giving you my thoughts on how I deal with it.I hope you find a solution and feel better soon.

Sue x
  • pixie01
    pixie01 Member Posts: 52
    Hi Suzy
    I can definitely relate to this. I have oa in my neck and get trapped nerves that cause burning pain. You are right pain killers are not much good. Have you tried a wheat bag? These can be quite helpful.
    Thinking of you Jo x
  • suzygirl
    Thanks for replies, am feeling really rubbish today. Pain is all down, my back in the spine, so something is definitely off. Am going to spend a day sofa bound in pj's I think. Just going to set up with my hot water bottle etc.

If it doesn't settle I will see the gp, but right now, I just don't have the energy to get to the docs.

Thanks for tips, I will dig the collar out as well and see if it helps.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    I am so sorry, Suzy, what a pain (literally!) If you don't have a collar then try a rolled-up towel, that can give good relief. I know exactly what you mean about not having the energy to get to the docs, I am in the same boat too! I hope the sofa-surfing helps, keep warm and smuggle down into the undemanding embrace of daytime telly! DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,403
    Hi Suzy

when my neck kicks off l tend to end up just giving into it for however long it takes for it to ease back abit.

I really understand the vomitting due to teh severity of the pain too. This is one of the times when l will take the sort of painkillers which wooze me out!!

I sleep on a memory foam shaped pillow now too....keeps neck in the right position and the only other thing l add is a wheatie too.

I am so sorry and hope things improve very soon. :(

Love

Toni xxx
  • julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    Hi Suzy

I also can relate to pain in the neck and it sometimes makes ne feel very sick too. I have started using wheat bags again, and resting when ever I can.
    I hope your neck feels better soon
    Love Juliepf x
  • suzygirl
    Thanks guys, I am sorry you expereince this as well. I do find it a comfort to know others get the same, silly as that sounds. I am on the sofa again today with my hot water bottle, having to give in to it for a while. Other joints are flaring and blood blisters in throat again. Lets hope the aza makes a difference when it kicks in. Been taking it for nearly a week now. Run out of pain killers, have put them somewhere safe, can't remember where. :roll: :oops:
  • Poppyg1rl
    Hi Suzy,
    I really hope you're feeling a little bit better tonight? blood blisters sound so painful, I'm hoping the meds are found soon Suzy, Ive done exactly the same thing before with my meds, I put them in a safe place...so safe I couldn't find them :roll: in my case I'd put them in the bathroom cabinet and put the new toothpaste in the medicine cupboard in the kitchen :roll:
    I hope you feel better soon hun, sending you big gentle hugs ((())) X
    'grá agus solas'
  • suzygirl
    Thanks Poppy, have phoned the gp today for some more, am climbing the walls till then!! Have rheumy nurse tomorrow, so she may up the steroids, again!!!!

Sofa bound again today, muscles so weak and trembling if try to use them. :oops:

Hope you are ok.
  • julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    sending mor hugs suzy (((((()))))) to keep you going till tomorrows app with the nurse. I hope she can suggest something to help.

Keep warm and resting your poor neck
    Love Juliepf x
  • suzygirl
    Thanks Julie.

I have seen the rheumy nurse today, she suggested wearing a soft collar and has referred me to physio to get a collar. She also wants me to get it chhecked with the gp as it shouldnt be causing me so much trouble.

II may do this, as it is getting worse, the tablets only work for a short while. The dizziness is getting worse and being a real pain. If I sit still with a hot water bottle, its bearable, but moving is no fun at all. :shock:

Why is it all worse on a Friday afternoon, when the docs are shut all weekend?? The muscles are so tight, I am wondering if a nerve is pinched. Muscle relaxants, pain killers and vertigo meds are not touching it weirdly.

I have a collar from a previous flare, but that is so uncomfortable, any ideas anyone. I am getting desperate. :cry:
  • Poppyg1rl
    Suzy hon,
    Can you get back in touch with your GP now? please ring them and tell them you need to be seen urgently. You can't be in this kind of pain over the weekend. Sending you lots of hugs (((())))
    But please do ring now Xxx
    'grá agus solas'
  • suzygirl
    I dont want to bother the gp. Not a lot they can do, I don't think. I have got into my pj's and have decided to be queen of the sofa again. I am going to give in instead of fighting it, as I am just making it worse.

I have upped my morphine, taken another dose of painkillers, muscle relaxants, and vertigo meds. I have given the collar another try and it is helping slightly. I also realised how little movement I have in my neck at the moment, which means a definite flare.

I was at the hairdressers last week and that always sets it off. Going to have to rethink the hairdressers in future.

Doesnt help, my inflammatory arthritis is flaring, and my joints are agony. I had a good cry last night, out of sheer frustration. I want to do so many things and can't, it gets to me at times. I try and push through it all and just can't. So am going to give in and indulge in favourite tv and maybe a book.

I sound a real misery, don't mean to be, just venting. I want a new body, a good one :lol: I will have to go back to gps on monday and take up the orthapediac consult offer, maybe, if I don't chicken out again. :oops:

Anyway, thats my plan, don't mean to worry anyone. You all have enough to cope with yourselves. (((poppy))) you take care
  • smol
    smol Member Posts: 43
    edited 4. Feb 2012, 01:53
    Hi
    I'm new to this forum, I have neck problems myself and have spoken to many others with similar. On another forum I use (HMSA) we have discussed various symptoms like this at length. From what I have read here you might want to look at chiari malformation as many of your symptoms seem to fit this more than say, a trapped nerve or bog standard OA. What follows are just a basic outline of symptoms seen in chiari patients
    Type II Chiari malformations

The main symptoms people with Type II malformations might experience are:

headaches (usually at the back of the head and often made worse by coughing, sneezing or straining)
    neck pain
    dizziness and balance problems
    unusual feelings in the arms or legs (numbness or tingling)
    muscle weakness and paralysis
    visual problems and involuntary movement of the eyes (nystagmus)
    swallowing problems
    hearing loss and tinnitus

People might also experience nausea (feeling sick), vomiting (being sick), insomnia (difficulty sleeping) and depression.

Of course I don't want to worry you, but it not very well known here in old blighty and would hate for you to have it only to go unrecognised by the Drs you can read more about it i]Link removed by Moderator Z[/i

Take care over the weekend, keep warm and safe
    Sarah

‎"I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do the something that I can do."- Edward Everett Hale
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Hi Suzy,

Oh flower I am so with you on that one! Its horrible and for me the only 'cure; is tablet.... stemetil and an anti-emetic beginning with M but I can't remember the name.

In the old days a collar helped but now it hurts more with it on so i tend to not use it much... supposed to sleep in it... i have trouble sleeping without the collar making me worse though it did used to help...... might be an idea?

Honestly its the stemetil that helps mine the most. I don't think a non tablets thing ill work flower but anything is worth ago.

Leaving a ((((( ))))), a hope and a sachet for the lovely Izzy Cris xx
  • suzygirl
    THanks Cris and smol,

I felt ok when I woke up, but have felt worse as the day has gone on. I think I will go to gp on Monday, I feel quite ill with it all, not sure if that all the pain relief or just the pain, dizziness and nausea. It isnt too bad if I sit on sofa, with collar and dont move. Which is impractical. Sitting it out, isn't working and moving is not good at all.

Smol, I have had scans so I know I have cervical spondylosis and severe disk degeneration and scoliosis.

Cris, sorry to moan, when yours is so much worse. It is horrible though, the pain is bad and the nausea and dizziness, making me so irritable. I am even considering taking up the orthapeadic consult offer. I chickened out before, but I cant live with htis, I really hope it settles down soon.

Thanks for all your support, I really need it at the moment, feeling quite low with it all. It is just one of my illnesses, and posssibly the most troublesome, but not much can be done. I already take MST and am uneasy about that route.

Sorry to ramble, struggling tonight.
  • smol
    smol Member Posts: 43
    Sorry to hear you are still struggling. It's crap isn't it.
    With me I never know what is going to be hurting the most when I wake up. Today it's my hip I probably partially dislocated it turning over in my sleep. I did the same with my shoulder a few weeks back, unfortunately I just dont heal quickly or well. and it's so easy to injure myself without trying to.
    Just hang in there until you can see your GP tomorrow
    Sending gentle hugs your way
    Sarah

‎"I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do the something that I can do."- Edward Everett Hale
  • suzygirl
    Thanks Sarah, I hope you are ok. The painful hip sounds nasty, I hope it heals quickly.

Take care