Cyclist with arthritis.

Options
barry2012
barry2012 Member Posts: 19
edited 3. Feb 2012, 14:11 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hoping for some advice. I am 59 and have been having knee pain since April 2011, 2 weeks ago I had an Arthroscopy on both knees, it was a hell of a shock to be told I have arthritis in both knees. As a keen cyclist I am use to cycling 6 to 8000 miles a year, at present I am finding it very hard to get around and am off, the bike also off work as a engineer, have an app with GP on Fri. Am retireing this July and hoped to be able to lead a active life. Is it possible to carry out long distance cycling with arthritis, any help would be most welcome.

Comments

• elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Barry

Welcome to the forum but I am sorry to hear your diagnosis. I am wondering what meds you are on. I was on prescribed painkillers and an anti inflammatory and the latter seems to help quite a bit.

Cycling is a good form of exercise for knee OA because it is a low-impact way to exercise and swimming too. I would hurriedly add that I think you would have to tone down the amount of cycling you are doing though. :wink: My motto with OA is "use it or lose it". Exercise is most important within limits.

I have had both my knees totally replaced. I was 57 and 59 years old and it was the best thing I could have done. Please do not let the surgeon tell you, you are too young either! You want your life back now, not when/if you live to be 80 years old!

I hope your Friday appointment goes well, do let us know. There are knee supports but I never used them. Sometimes physio can help too.

Look after yourself,
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • barry2012
    Options
    Dear Elna, many thanks for your reply, like yourself I am on painkillers, I have just come back from a bike ride, just 15mins felt ok. I was thinking of swiming but am worried about the advise of not doing breaststoke as this is the only one I can do. I am waiting for a physio app to come through. I do realise I will have to cut down my cycling but I hope I can still lead an active life, for me being able to get out into the countryside and breathing fresh air means so much.
    Barry.
  • grumpyra
    grumpyra Member Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi

My consultant encourages me to cylce as it is low impact excercise which puts less impact on the joints than say jogging. I have found that even when im in a bit of pain and very stiff, it doesnt take too long to loosen up once I start the exercise. Took me a while to get my head around that gritting my teeth and pushing myself will relieve symptoms even though it may only be a slight improvement.

If its something you enjoy, push yourself and do it as much as you feel you can, if you reduce you activities too much thats when arthritis can get the better of you.
    Please take the time to read my personal journey with arthritis in my blog
    http://disabledramblings.blogspot.com/
  • elnafinn
    Options
    Hi again Barry

Heat and or ice can help pain/discomfort in the knees. I veer to warmth for comfort so used to use a heated wheatbag wrapped around the knee(s) when sitting. Alternating between hot and cold may help too. Just a thought. Ice can help with inflammation. I have no need to take painkillers since having my Total Knee Replacements but I do still take the anti inflammatories because of OA in my thumbs and I have an inoperable massive rotator cuff tear too. :)

I love my "sit up and beg" bicycle but have never done hardcore cycling.

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,458
    Options
    I have problems all over including knees, I brought myself an electric bike, after years of cycling. I can now cover a few miles and the motor assist takes the strain although longer distances and days in a row are not good.

There are days when any exercise is not on and there are times when pushing harder or using a higher gear is out, recognising and living with a long term condition is the way to go.

Nice to get some exercise though. Cold weather does affect the Lipo batteries, they recover when warm again.
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,414
    Options
    Hi Barry

re the swimming bit!

l now do a version of backstroke...dont know if that is worth considering? you can float along as well if you get tired with minimal effort.

Love

Toni xxx
  • julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    Options
    Hi Barry
    Good luck with your gp appointment on friday.
    Perhaps you could use some sort of light supports on your knees when cycling (ask your gp if it is a good idea)
    Juliepf x
  • barry2012
    Options
    Many thanks to everyone who has given advise and support, it really does help. I have my first physio app tomorrow. Did a 3 mile ride today, it's funny how cycling is so much easier than walking, I am trying my best not to do to much.
    Best wishes to everyone.
    Barry.
  • elnafinn
    Options
    :lol: You are right, cycling is sooo much easier (and faster) than walking and that is because it is non-weightbearing except getting on and off the bike and stopping. :wink: I have observed what I class as real cyclists (like you) get off the bike and they can hardly walk. My walking is not so good at the moment because of my back, not because of my "new" knees.

Do keep in touch, Barry and let us know how the physio goes. We like to know these things. :wink:

Elna x

• barry2012
    Options
    I had my physio app yesterday and have been put onto a six week course with work to do at home. Today saw G.P. and have been signed off work until at least March 19th at this rate I will be retired by the time I get back to work.