Exercise ball for the hands?

Options
ArthriticOne
ArthriticOne Member Posts: 11
edited 1. Feb 2012, 10:25 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hope it's okay to ask this here (I asked about arthritis in another thread a few weeks ago) - having just had X-Rays for suspected arthritis in my hands it turns out that the bones, cartilage, etc are fine but due to my very flexible and sub-luxing joints I have a problem with my ligaments.

The doc has recommended some kind of exercise ball for my hands/fingers - I'm sure that hand arthritis sufferers use similar balls, so can I ask for recommendations please?

Thank you.

Comments

• flossy47
    flossy47 Member Posts: 171
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi arthriticone.

I have recently been on an education program at my local hospital. They gave us lots of exercises for hands and one of them involved squeezing play doh. It has helped me and is probably cheaper than an exercise ball. If you decide to buy a ball just remember not to twist it as you squeeze it As this will cause the joints to flex in the wrong ways.
    Flossy
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,414
    Options
    Hi Arthritic one :)

Flossy is right l think the stuff is called hand putty and is really good for exercising your hands. You could google it??

Love

Toni xxx
  • julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    Options
    Hi Arthritic one
    I too was going to suggest some modeling doh.
    Also what about a stress ball that you could pick up from a gadget shop?

Juliepf x
  • ArthriticOne
    ArthriticOne Member Posts: 11
    Options
    Thanks for the replies, I shall start looking into modelling doh and balls. :)
  • vonski
    vonski Member Posts: 1,292
    Options
    Hi Arthriticone,

I use Dyna-Gel therepy balls they come in various hardness each a different colour so you don't get mixed up. From most disability shops price around £3.50. They do work but hard to begin with.

Love
    Vonski x