Leflunomide Anyone??

Options
muffy
muffy Member Posts: 72
edited 5. Feb 2012, 07:34 in Living with Arthritis archive
Further to my earlier post doctor has sent a leaflet on Leflunomide as the next drug to try, I'm not too sure about this one, I have been surfing the net and it sounds even more dangerous than MX, any feedback gratefully received.

Sylvia

Comments

• skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Sylvia,

You know it can work well for people though. I used to read side effects but they put me on some things that actually listed death as a possible one.... since then I tend to not read them.

I know it has got some nasty ones though and my rumo wouldn't put me on it cus of the eyes thing and my eyes already are not so good but honestly it can work well and some folk here will be able to tel you that side.

Has your rumo said s/he will use this one though? I hope they can sort something out for you and also hope you will hear from folks who can give you some reassurance. Cris x
  • julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    Options
    Hi Sylvia
    I have been on leflunomide for a very long time. I take it along side of methotrexate. with no problems.

Try not to read the side effects as it can scare you.

I hope if you give it a go that it helps you too.

Take care Juliepf x
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Not once have I googled any drug I take, I prefer to rely on the sensible information I get from my GP, my rheumatologist, AC and the good folk on here. I tried lef a few years ago and it did nothing but it has worked wonders for some. None of us know how we will react to a drug until we try it and you never know, this could be the one for you. When that happens fears about side-effects usually vanish! One of the reasons for the constant monitoring we undergo is to spot any potential trouble and nip it in the bud, so be conscientious about the blood tests etc, they are done for this very reason. I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • tiggernut
    tiggernut Member Posts: 339
    Options
    Hi Sylvia,

I tried it a few months back had terrible headaches so came off it.
    Still waiting for something to replace it. As I am waiting for an op Rhuemy says I have to wait as he doesn't want to start me on something new.
    I also have prednisalone, MTX, Hydroxychloroquine, & Voltarol.
  • Rosycheeks
    Rosycheeks Member Posts: 84
    Options
    Hi :)
    I have been taking Leflunomide for about 6 months now. It has definatly made a difference for me. Not quite the miracle I hoped for but good none the less.
    I also made the very big mistake of 'googling' drugs and there side effects and it freaked me right out. But my GP pointed out that if I was to google the side effects of simple Paracetamol they are pretty worrying too and yet millions of people including me pop copious amounts of that without a second thought!!
    The Leflunomide has given me no side effects at all other than raising my blood pressure a bit. So all is good :)

xx