How do you cope

Options
ritwren
ritwren Member Posts: 928
edited 10. Feb 2012, 12:51 in Living with Arthritis archive
I was going through the posts here and came across a post by Dreamdaisy who was talking about 30 seconds focusing on pain and 30 on pleasureable things.
What coping mechanisms do you have to get you through the day I wonder.
I seem to be living from moment to moment at the present time and am finding things really difficult.
R.

Comments

• valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    good question well i read (got kindle for christmas helps a lot) play games on fb chat to pals come on here get out when ever weather good enough. try to get some where warm at least once a years (not red hot but sun and warmth) share with others it does help val
    val
  • jillyb1
    jillyb1 Member Posts: 1,725
    Options
    I literally sit and count my blessings ! I focus on my hubby , our kids and their spouses ; all of whom I love and who love me . I also try to keep my mind busy as that helps to take my mind off aches , pains and upsets . Being a wheelchairer , I can't do a lot but like to do crosswords and jigsaws on the laptop to try and fool myself into thinking that my brain is unaffected by the RA that the rest of my body deals with ! Jillyb
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    I start the morning by checking emails, then get my dose of coming on here (AC) and posting alittle!! Then head to Twitter, love to tweet! By then it's lunch time so after my next door neighbour has done my sandwich I watch some telly, some times TV sometimes PC on IPlayer or 4OD, which ever then play on The Sims 2 have to admit become addicted! And before I know it my darling OH is home! That's my day! :D
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Oh dear, poor you, I am sorry to read that things are not too good for you at the moment, and I empathise because at times I too have been in that situation. I must admit that I find sheer bloody-mindedness a useful strategy. That's what's working for me at the moment (as things are currently not that good with both the arthritis and the meds), a stubborn refusal to let the arthrits get the better of me. :) If you can divert your attention elsewhere via reading, puzzles, telly, music, or even doing chores (in a controlled mannner with rest periods built in) then your mind is not focusing on the pain etc and that does lessen its impact. If things are rough then a steady intake of pain dullers will help, I find that if I am struggling I take two cocos every five or six hours and they do have a cumulative effect. I ration my dullers as I prefer to feel a difference when I do take them, so it's usually just four a day, two in the afternoon before work and two at bed-time, but if I need more then I take more. Be kind to yourself, ritwren, the bad time will pass as all things do, but treat yourself with care and gentleness to help it pass quicker. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hi With me it is distraction distraction...anything really to take my mind off the pain, anything you like doing ....at the min I am practising painting in water colour...not very good..but it really does help, and I love to read..
    Love
    Barbara
  • janie68
    janie68 Member Posts: 1,186
    Options
    I'm sorry that you are finding things rough atm. I have had to give in today and see my GP for additional pain relief. I am now on mst continous which I hopemwill help me cope better. Perhaps seeing your GP for slow release pain relief may be of benefit? I can still take my usual tabs, oramorph as well so that is going to be helpful.

I also go to bed in the afternoon, as I am so tired all the time and thats helps me too to cope. Seeing friends who understand how it is, having a laugh with them helps. I go on fb, tweet, and watch tv, though that is always on demand so I can pause to move around.

A bit of chocolate is nice too! Reading is good and relaxing.

Janie
  • ritwren
    ritwren Member Posts: 928
    Options
    Thanks everyone, good little tips there. Whatever can get us through the day is good. I've gotten a Steroid injection prescription from my GP and will pick it up after work this afternoon, that should give me a bit of a lift.
    I'm already on slow release tramadol and have Buprenorphine tablets if I need a top up but it's a matter of trying to find a balance I can live and work with. I'm taking my Celebrex this week so that should help too.
    Mostly 'tho I'm trying to find distrations to help and you've given me some good ideas. I knew I could count on folks here to help.
    Hope everyone has a good day, big hugs. R :)
  • GraceB
    GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
    Options
    Hi,
    I rely on being a stubborn Taurean! Like DD, sheer bloody-mindedness helps as well.
    Focus on what you can do and forget what you can't do. Count your blessings; there are always a lot of people a lot worse off in my experience. Try to keep a PMA (positive mental attitude).
    Do whatever hobbies you are able to and enjoy.
    As a last resort (and some here know what's coming don't you!) -

HIT THE CHOCOLATE!!!

When chocolate is taken for medicinal reasons, it's calorie, fat and sugar free and therefore positively good for you.

Take care, keep going.

Grace
    Turn a negative into a positive!
  • flossy47
    flossy47 Member Posts: 171
    Options
    Wish I could turn to chocolate but unfortunately I'm allergic. Of all the things in the world to be allergic to why did it have to be that.
    Flossy
  • elianne42
    elianne42 Member Posts: 15
    Options
    hi flossy
    sorry to hear things are feeling so painful at mo- try singing!! doesn't matter how well you can sing but anything helps, just getting to sing and the louder the better!! helps release tension and you are then more able to cope with the pain!!! makes me smile too!!
    :D:D take care now
    bw
  • flossy47
    flossy47 Member Posts: 171
    Options
    Hi elianne.
    I listen to gold radio and I always sing along. All 60s, 70s and 80s music. Won't be the same tonight as one of the regular djs isn't on.
    Flossy