Success 0 I got my blue badge!

Options
DebraKelly
DebraKelly Member Posts: 398
edited 14. Feb 2012, 06:01 in Living with Arthritis archive
Well it pays to challange!

I went along to my assessment yesterday for the blue badge for the car and the lady was very nice and took one at me and agreed that I needed a bluebadge.

So success, I am getting the badge for 3 years.

They are changing the way you can apply etc its not only if you have mobility issues but you have a heart condition as well.
I suffer from asthma too but I didn't put that on the form so she updated that as well.

Just need to get my DLA sorted and I'll be happy. But its a start!

Comments

• suzygirl
    suzygirl Member Posts: 2,005
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Congratulations, they are a real help. :D
  • GraceB
    GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
    Options
    Well done.

Here in Kent you can't get a blue badge without having the mobilty aspect of DLA.

I use my blue badge every day - it'll enable you to get closer to shops. As long as you don't cause a hazard you're okay to park on double yellow lines but don't, whatever you do, park partially on the path as traffic wardens (or whatever they're called these days) will ticket you.

It's worth getting a proper leather cover for your badge as it will keep it all together. I believe you can also get security locks as BBs are worth on a fortune on the "black market".

Use the badge without guilt; you're entitled to have it and it will make your life so much easier.

Take care,
    Grace
    Turn a negative into a positive!
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hi Debra
    I am so happy for you, it just go to show that we must not give up,and I really do wish you good luck with your dla, please let us know how you get on xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi
    Thats great news......it is such a blessing isnt it

Love
    Hileena
  • LesleyAnn
    LesleyAnn Member Posts: 8
    Options
    Great news for you.

I still remember the first time I applied for a blue badge the letter was a hoot but I didn't find it funny at the time.

It stated that 'they' knew I was disabled, had extreme difficulty walking at all, and accepted/knew I would only get worse but I wasn't disabled enough to be given a blue badge.

I felt like I had played a computer game, lost a level, and told to try again!!

Within 18 months I had qualified for high rate DLA mobility and was able to get a blue badge based on that diagnosis.

My badge is a blessing, it allows me close to hospitals, shops and so forth. I fear loosing entitlement when they change DLA to PIP. While I'd hate to loose the money which helps keep my car on the road the idea of loosing my badge scares me more.

I remember pre-BB I would have to walk in from the farthest away car park at the hospital which was a 15 to 20 minute walk then prior to my degenerative condition now, I would collapse long before reaching the entrance if I had to walk in from the other car parks.

My BB allows me to get out of the house and attend appointments and do shopping meaning the distance I have to struggle along is as short as possible but I dread what would happen without it. :(

But good for you getting it. Mine has made a big difference on my life and my independence. Hope it does for you as well.
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    Great News Debra!! That will make life alittle easier having that. I know it makes life a lot easier having my BB, It's helped at places like the L.G (old N.E.C) arena as well as other places! Glad that's one less thing to sort on your list.