Has anyone had a hip, knee etc replaced? Did it help?

Options
emsjane
emsjane Member Posts: 351
edited 12. Feb 2012, 20:49 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi all,

I was just wondering about hip replacements mainly and if anyone has had a big toe joint fused together and whether it helped? I have read stories of people who have these things done and they don't actually help the matter. The rheumatologist has told me im too young to have a hip replacement and quite frankly the idea scares me, but i know it is in the post for me one day!!!

Anyway, id like to hear about peoples experiences ;o)
LOVE EMMA X

Comments

• barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi
    Sorry I cant help, I should have had my first thr, 2 years ago, but to be honest I kept putting it back because I was sacred, now my back has joined in , I do wonder if things would have been different if I had gone ahead .
    There are lots of people on here that have had a thr and had toes fused, so I do hope they come along with there stories...most of them good
    Love
    Barbara
  • tanith
    tanith Member Posts: 175
    Options
    I had my right hip replaced 5yrs ago at 57yrs, it was a total success leaving me pain free in that hip I don't even have a limp, it was a happy release from the constant pain of before. I would recommend anyone who is in constant pain from knee or hip to go ahead with that surgery. I will be having the left hip done at some point but I'm not there yet..
    Sorry no experience of toe fusing..
    Our worst times are always our best lessons.
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi I had a THR a few years ago and it hasnt helped.....I think if I had been diagnosed sooner and it done sooner it would have helped....as it is ...like Barbara my back has joined in as well.

Love
    Hileena
  • emsjane
    Options
    Thanks for replies!

Tanith, im interested in whether there is anything you can't do with your new hip that you could do before, ive read that it can dislocate easily???
    LOVE EMMA X
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Hi emsjane, now this is a tough question to answer, :) but me being me I'll give it a go! I am in dire need of two new knees but have been turned down due to age (rubbish, I am 52) and fatness (which is totally reasonable).

Firstly, the age component. It seems ironic that those who would benefit the most from a new joint (the younger ones) are denied it, probably for the reason that as joints don't last forever (just like the real thing :roll: ) the expense of replacing replacements has to be borne in mind. My late FIL had a THR at the age of 78 which was a total waste of time and money as the rest of him was far too riddled with OA and possibly RA and he gained no benefit whatsoever. My cousin's wife, however, had her first TKR at 19 thanks to bone cancer. She is now on her third replacement joint but has led a full life. In my opinion age is not a relevant reason so you fight for it girl, if you want it.

Now, the weight side of things. People on here were quite annoyed when I posted that I had been refused due to being overweight, but I found it an entirely reasonable comment from the ortho chap. He was (and still is) absolutely right, I do need to shift at least three stone so as to give my poor embattled body a reasonable chance for a good recovery. I need to be physically stronger too, to help a full recovery. I need leg muscles that actually have some presence, that can not only be seen but felt! I admit it's easier to move about if one is a little lighter, and I have so far shed about a stone, but only 'cos I came off the oral steroids. It's a start tho, it's a start.

For some joint replacements are wonderful, others have a bit of a struggle and for a few they are not successful. The most important part post-surgery is to take one's time to recover, to do the exercises sensibly, regularly, rest as well, but I think one of the most important (and possibly overlooked) things is to be as fit as possible BEFORE the op, so that you have some strength and physical resources to draw upon. I realise this is easier said than done, and it all depends on one's circumstances but I shall be working on this side of things for me, as much as I can, so that when I hit the grand old age of 55 I stand a fighting chance of a better outcome than I do at present. Surgeons can only do so much, we also have a part to play, but personally I can't wait for a life that could possibly include greatly reduced pain and greatly enhanced mobility. If it does, great, if not, well, at least I gave it my best shot. I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • tonesp
    tonesp Member Posts: 844
    Options
    I got my new hip,here in Spain,September 2010 It is fantastic I have freedom of movement I can climb stairs Get over small walls dig the garden The improvement in my quality of life is unbelievable :D:D:D
  • tanith
    Options
    emsjane before my op my range of movement was bad and the pain was awful , my doctor told me you'll know when its time for the surgery when your quality of life is seriously affected and when you get resting pain at night , which I eventually did.
    After the surgery the pain was instantly just gone, and my range of movement was much improved , I can't think of anything that I can't do now that I did before to be honest although they do not advocate horse riding (although many people do) or swimming breast stroke (which I do all the time) , the only small problem I've had is lifting the knee , for instance when getting in and out of the drivers seat of my car, I have to hook my hand under the knee and scoop the leg in, but I can live with it to be so pain free . Some people do seem to have problems with dislocation I'm not sure why that happens.. but if you are careful and follow the rules they give you all should be well..

I agree with the other poster who said its most important to have strong muscles going into the surgery to help the recovery. I walked and swam even though it was very painful to keep the muscles as strong as possible and had a great recovery.. if you have any more questions feel free to ask.
  • emsjane
    Options
    Dreamdaisy, it sounds like you are doing really well trying to lose weight and get fit so you can have your knee replacements! I am also overweight and i know it doesn't help my arthritis!! How much extra weight do they say is too much?? I am 5'4 and 15 stone, which i know is bad and i think they would probably say the same to me!!

Part of me is too frightened to push for a hip replacement yet, but a part of me thinks i would probably be better to have it sooner rather than later so i stand a chance of a good recovery! It is frustrating, like you say, that they will do a hip replacement on some older who won't necessarily benefit from it because of other age related problems.

Anyway, keep pushing with the weight loss and i hope you get your knee replacements asap!

Tanith - one of the things i was a bit concerned about was having sex!! lol. My arthritis in my hips has practically put an end to my sex life and i was wondering if the hip replacement means that would be easier or am i likely to dislocate my new hip trying it, how embarrassing explaining that in the hospital!!!! LOL :D
    LOVE EMMA X
  • tanith
    Options
    I'm sure they have been asked the question lots of times and of course you may have to be careful especially at first , we made adjustments to the way we do it I must admit as I was worried just like you but now its not a problem at all . :oops:
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Emsjane
    Hi again......AC have a lot of great booklets ....One of them is called relationships......have a look at them and see whcih ones might apply to you and get them.

Love
    Hileena
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I'm about 5' 7" and when ortho blokey weighed me last August I was over 16 stone (I think, it was 102 kilos) and my BMI was 32. He wanted me to be about 13 stone with a BMI to match - he wanted it between 25-28. I now weigh about 14 1/2 stone and I hope to eventually get down to about 12 1/2 to show him I'm serious! As I said I inadvertantly gave myself a head start by stopping the steroids, so now the had graft begins. I know that new knees won't solve everything but it should make a big difference to the quality of life (I have two sorts of arthritis and 38 joints are affected). For you, well, I'm no expert but currently you are not tall enough for your height :) (that's how my husband puts it - he too is about your height and twelve stone) so I think you too will have to lose about three stone. It can be done: we have a wheelchair-bound lady on here who has lost over five stone through sheer will-power and determination and my admiration for her knows no bounds. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • emsjane
    Options
    Thanks for all the helpful advise everyone!

I know i need to seriously lose some weight before i decide to push for a THR!!!

Im just looking for some willpower, does anyone have any i can use!!!??? :D
    LOVE EMMA X
  • serah24
    serah24 Member Posts: 34
    Options
    when i saw the topic i felt that i have to share my experience with it...
    i am 24 years old now and i had my both hips replaced in 2010, and after almost two years i can say that it has been the best thing i ever did concerning my way of dealing with RA,no pain at all anymore(of course only in my hips),feeling free to move them,using stairs and everything,i know some would think it's too soon since i am too young but i don't care about that at all!! technology is in progress and so is medicine so why regretting beeing pain free,just to hold on a worn hip or knee or whatever!....i know that in 7 or maybe more years, who knows, i will have to replace this one also, but it wont be the end of the world since i'm dealing with a massive disease, than i can deal with a few weeks of pain in post-operation...well that's my opinion..best of luck to you