Wheelchair or scooter

Options
Sharrym
Sharrym Member Posts: 14
edited 12. Feb 2012, 03:13 in Living with Arthritis archive
Not quite sure if I'm ready for this but my god it would so help to have a scooter or wheelchair to go to the park with the kids or going to the shops. What are people's opinions on this

Sharon

Comments

• dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,955
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Sharrym.
    i've got a scoota its the it takes me where i want to go i can leave it outside a shop do the shopping and then go home
    i can take my dog for a walk i could never do it all on my feet.
    i also have a wheelchair for when my legs ache in doors.
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • Sharrym
    Sharrym Member Posts: 14
    Options
    Thanks for your reply Joan, did you buy your scooter? Or was it supplie through nhs ?
  • jillyb1
    jillyb1 Member Posts: 1,725
    Options
    I had a scooter and loved using it to get around ; sadly I had to sell it as my hands are too gnarled and knotted now to drive it . My latest transport is a simple everyday wheelchair , my hubby is my full time carer and is adept at wheeling me around ! I wouldn't be able to get out without my set of wheels , don't hesitate - decide which suits you best ( you can try them all out in a disability aids shop ) , and go for it ; beats staying indoors any day . Jillyb
  • julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    Options
    Hi Sharrym

I have a scooter and I love it. I can go to and round the shops with it or through woods, parks or reservoirs. It isn't a monster scooter but has quite a lot of power it is modified and tailored to my needs by my oh.

I also have a manual and electric wheel chair. The electric for around the home as I cant walk at all. I have used the electric one outside but I personally feel better on the scooter,

My manual one is used for hosp, doc appointments and shopping when I am unable to use my scooter. The manual one is ok but I prefer again the scooter as I can go where I want and not have to keep asking. Plus, when oh pushes I sometimes feel as though I am on a waltzer. :lol:

I think as jilly suggests you need to go to a mobility shop and have a test drive. Perhaps borrow one at a shopping centre to see how you get on.

I am afraid all my goods have been bought by ourselves.

Good luck in what you decide and let us know how you get on.

Love Juliepf x
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,483
    Options
    Scooter gives you greater independance.

That is my opinion :wink:

Seriooulsy l think it's a great idea because you will be able to get out and about more....have you ever looked at this site....it was posted on here a bit back...second-hand disability equipment....might save some money???

http://www.disabledgear.com/

Love and luck

Toni xxx
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi
    I have a scooter and its great....it gives me independence. Its not an "on road" one but its not particularly tiny and comes to pieces to go in hubbys car. I need it for longish walks. I bought it second hand and is been a godsend.
    I've also got a 4 wheel rollator {the chariot :lol:} that I use for shorter walks and it has a seat so i sit down if I need to.
    Do you have any "shopmobility" close to you....where you could hire one for a while and try it out

Love
    Hileena
  • lululu
    lululu Member Posts: 486
    Options
    I would have a scooter as I think they are wonderful. I have often thought that this site should have a - sales or swap thread - I have a scooter that I would like to sell I as I bought abigger one. If interested please pm me.
  • dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,955
    Options
    Hi Sharrym.
    how are you doing. i bought my scoota and wheelchair
    have you got a shop mobility shop where you live they let you use a scoota to do your shopping then you take it back it costs about 12 pound a year tou can have one when you want it.
    good luck.
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Just shows how different shopmobility schemes are. One in Gateshead {Metro Center} Cost £1 a year for membership and then £2 for a full day {9am to 8pm}
    In Newcastle ......It costs about £12 {cant remember exactly} but then you dont pay to hire them....but can only have them 3 hours at a time.

Good luck anyway whatever you decide

Love
    Hileena
  • Dinkymurphy
    Dinkymurphy Member Posts: 2
    Options
    :D Hi There. I have a manual wheelchair and a mobility scooter. I use the scooter to get to our little high street - shopping etc and reading group at library. Wheelchair is used outdoors for everything else. My husband is my full time carer and is designated pusher. Before buying it might be an idea to try a scooter out using a local shop mobility scheme. Not an easy decision. It took me a couple of years to realise that if I and my husband wanted any sort of quality of life, this was the only solution!!