On the treadmill...

Options
purpleunicorn
purpleunicorn Member Posts: 67
edited 10. Feb 2012, 14:08 in Living with Arthritis archive
Not the exercise one, more the being passed from pillar to post sort.

I went to see the GP to finally get a diagnosis and help for the crippling pain in my back that has been plagueing me for years, and has now extended into my right hip.

She did all the usual 'bend forwards/backwards/side to side/raise your leg for me' etc, and asked the history of the pain. I told her it sometimes wakes me up in the early hours, is excrutiating in the morning for the first 30 odd minutes until it 'loosens up', is horrendously stiff and that I need a stick to get around the house until I get some mobility back. I explained that I have very loud clicking/grating/popping from my back and hip and suffer awful fatigue. She said it is highly likely that it is arthritis.

She prescribed me cocodamol, diclofenac, stomach protectors (as I am also on citalopram and there is a contraindication) and referred me for physio. She also told me to go for x rays the following day to allow time for the online referral to be processed.

So, next morning I got the bus into town, walked 20 mins to the hospital, and 'checked in' only to be told that the GP had not done a referral at all and I couldn't be seen without it. After a lot of telephoning to and fro it seems the dr forgot :roll: to do the referral and I was told I would have to just sit and wait until she could find the time to send the details online to the hospital. By this time I was in agony and after about 2 hours I was called.

I am sure they only x rayed my hip when the pain and stiffness is primarily in my back, so no doubt I will have to go back again. I have to wait a week to get the results from yesterday.

In the meantime I have been taking the diclofenac and cocodamol regularly, set my alarm an hour early so I can take cocodamol before I get up, and trying to avoid going out in the snow or getting cold.

I have a feeling it's going to be a long and painful ride!