wrist pain

Options
magenta
magenta Member Posts: 1,604
edited 16. Feb 2012, 10:19 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi again,

I'm sure this will be familiar to some of you. My right wrist has been bothering me on and off for about a month. Now I'm getting searing pain in my wrist at the right side, where my wee finger is. It's happening nearly with every movement I make and it's sore when typing.

Anyone else get this?

Thanks,

Magenta x

Comments

• tiggernut
    tiggernut Member Posts: 339
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Magenta,
    Yes I get this even in the wrist which has fused itself. I do find this odd as I was always under the impression if you had a joint fused it wouldn't hurt anymore!! Anyway I put a splint on at night to help rest it and it does help.

Good luck,
    Anita.
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    Hi Magenta, I have had pain for the last 4 months in my wrist and thumbs, I have also got a weird looking little finger on my left hand where it may have dislocated it's self and my G.P thinks it's to late to put it back in and the pain and swelling from the osteoporisis has started to effect that area too! I have recently have started to wear splints and have to say they are making a big difference in easing my discomfort and help when typing. Hope you get some relief soon.
  • joziexo
    joziexo Member Posts: 13
    Options
    Hello :)
    somedays i wish i could chop my wrists off! its so annoying because its a joint you use for mostly everything. I have an anti-inflammatory gel which i rub onto my wrist if it becomes too painfull and swollen. I was given it by my GP when my elbow had become particulary swollen but i just use it on my wrists aswell. My RA doctor has said this is fine for me. I have resting splints which i wear at night and then splints for activities such as when im at college or on the laptop. I dont use them all the time, just when i feel i need too. It does really help and gives you support where you need it.
    Sometimes i find putting a cold flannel or hot water bottle on my wrists can help soothe the pain for a little. and of course, i take paracetamol. lfeels like i live of the stuff somedays but it does bring down the pain. i found talking to my doctor and telling them i have a lot of pain in one place can help them focus more treatment on one particular area such as making you splints to wear
    I hope your wrists begin to calm down soon
    Jo xx
  • Jonny
    Jonny Member Posts: 3
    Options
    Hi Magenta,

I had this and asked about it. I was given a steroid injection in the wrist. I was kinda nervous about it but it turned out to be near enough painless and it made a big difference and its still doing well 3 months on :)

Maybe you could ask for one?
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    Options
    Been suffering with the wrists for a while now, got sero-negative inflamatory arthritis in them.. I have splints to wear when using them that do help. It's awful when you cannot even squeeze a sponge out in the shower for the pain.
    I use wheat packs sometimes, helps a little..

Best of luck, make sure you tell your GP or Rheumy.. :D
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • lavenderlady
    lavenderlady Member Posts: 409
    Options
    I had a TWR op in Nov 2010 and its not too bad but am finding the thumb and finger next to the thumb are causing so much pain it radiates into the wrist in fact the past few days my hands have been so painful and stiff I cannot even hold a pen, trying to sign for my medication today I found my scrawl for my signiture unrecognisable, but am now having my medication (17 items) put in a blister pack as I am finding it almost impossible to do them every day, good luck
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Options
    Hi magenta,
    When my wrist hurts I rub on some deep relief, put on my wrist splint and keep my hand warm. It usually helps. But if it persists I would suggest you should see the doctor.
    Take care,