Sulfasalazine and tinnitus

Options
gizmobabe
gizmobabe Member Posts: 24
edited 15. Feb 2012, 11:40 in Living with Arthritis archive
hey folks,

I haven't been on in a while, howver i have been on sulfa for about a year now which seems to be doing the trick, however my ears seem to have started squealing recently. i have a rhuemy appt in april , however i am worried that even if he changes my meds, the squealing won't. anyone else been in the same boat, and an advice?

Comments

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,483
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Giz

No advice so sorry, but l do get some tinnitus so can sympathise :( .

Glad you have an appointment with rheumy very soon and will have my fingesr crossed for you

Love

Toni xx
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Hello gizmobabe, it's nice to hear from you again. I am glad that the sulph is doing the trick for you and I empathise on the tinnitus front: I have been on sulph for ten years now and my ears ring, squeal and jangle like no-one's business. The sulph is the culprit, no doubt about that, but it keeps the psoriasis bit of my PsA at bay and that, for me, is the important bit. Let your rheumatologist know at your next appointment, I doubt there's anything to be done but they should know that you are being affected by this. I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • gizmobabe
    gizmobabe Member Posts: 24
    Options
    Thanks guys.

I have kicked myself up the bum since I was last on here, and have signed up for the Moonwalk. however "only" the half marathon distance on account of the knee. I have done 4 full marathon moonwalks over the last 10 years, (before arthur) but now have the added issue of the knee, but what the heck, you only live once.

:D
  • LesleyAnn
    LesleyAnn Member Posts: 8
    Options
    Yup, one of the delightful side effects of taking the medications you need to help slow down and alleviate your condition. I've been on Sulfasalazine for about a decade now and am used to it, don't like it but learnt to live with it.

One night I was unable to sleep due to a buzzing and occasional squealing noise keeping me awake. I went around switching off and unplugging all devices in my bedroom. Got back in bed, let out a sigh at the silence then the noises returned.

Eventually figured out it wasn't anything in my room or house but inside my ears themselves :lol: . Amusing as an anecdote but I wasn't laughing then. Nor will I be the next time it happens. :roll:
  • Jonny
    Jonny Member Posts: 3
    Options
    Hi Gizmobabe,

I was on sulpha initially and it was working great until unfortunately I developed tinnitus too :( I was taken off the Sulpha and put on Methotrexate instead which also works well even though I have a little bit more side effect annoyances with it.

I'd imagine they will probably do something similar with you? Whens your appointment? I'd guess you don't want to risk losing your hearing!
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    Options
    have been on sulfa for about four months now, no tinnitus thankfully but my appetite is near none existent. I've lost almost a stone and a half with it up to now.. It has certainly helped the IBD or IBS whichever it was that really was Hell.. Also has cleared up the few bad patches of skin i had. As for the joints, well I think it has helped a bit but as I've started another flare up..... well I'm not too sure.. The wrists, hands and elbows have settled a little..

Next Rheumy appointment is March..

Best of luck with the lug~holes :D
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • flossy47
    flossy47 Member Posts: 171
    Options
    I've been on sulfa for about 8 months now and it hasn't had any effect on my hearing. Or I should say it hasn't made the tinnitus I already have any worse.
    Hopefully you will find a solution to this problem soon.
    Flossy