Anyonje else taking Iron tablets ?

Options
cakegirl
cakegirl Member Posts: 50
edited 26. Feb 2012, 03:48 in Living with Arthritis archive
Just wondering what dose if so and do you feel they make a difference ?

My iron level has been 10 for a while so they've given me iron tabs 305mg, one twice a day.

xx
Cakegirl xxx

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I've had a low iron level once or twice, and took the tablets for a few months: I have to say I didn't know it was low (the bloods showed it, I on the other hand am used to feeling tired and lethargic, it's called arthritis) and felt no different when taking them (although I did 'feel' the resulting constipation :roll: ). It's best to increase the iron in your diet as well as taking the tablets, make sure that you have stuff in to deal with the possible constipation, and I hope you feel the benefit of it all soon. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi
    I was on a 3 month course of iron tablets....didnt make me feel any different.....still feel tired etc but when I went for a blood test it came back "no further action needed" so it must have done something but didnt make me feel any better :(

Love
    Hileena
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    I've had an occasional course. According to my rheumatologist, both RA and the meds can lower your levels. They used to upset my stomach and constipate me but modern, enteric coated ones do neither. I never felt any different either before, during or after taking them. Some iron rich foods are liver, spinach and dried apricots (Google for more) but don't drink tea at the same time as it prevents the iron being absorbed.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • scozzie
    scozzie Member Posts: 333
    Options
    I've never had a low iron result from a blood test, but I have had low results fo for B12 and folic acid, not at the same time - both of which can cause anemia, just like iron deficiency! You need all three vitamins at a healthy level to have normal blood!

Can't say I felt any difference between the low readings and normal blood counts!!!

Five years ago they put my hand cramps (possibly carpopedal spasms) down to low B12 levels, yet the symptoms remained over six months after the levels returned to normal! Then after gradually disappearing over the past four years they've returned again with a vengeance ... not much fun, especially when trying to eat and people wondering why you've taken the utensil out of the affected hand and stopped eating! Only to restart a minute or so later! Btw it doesn't just happen when eating ... also when handling tools in fine motor functions and unlike five years ago it's occasionally happening when I'm driving!

Good luck
    Scozzie
  • mimiofdc
    mimiofdc Member Posts: 24
    Options
    I'm currently on iron. Been struggling with low iron off and on for years. So far with 250mg x2 daily, I got it up to 9.

So I am checking with doc regularly to see if there is some other cause preventing absorption other than being an arthritic female of child bearing age.

I sincerely hope not, as this arthritis thing is enough of a treat :)

Hope the tablets work for you without too many side effects.
  • speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    Options
    Hi Cakegirl,

I've had to take iron on several occasions. Stick with it, the lower the iron levels in your blood the worse you feel. They take quite awhile to work and get your levels up to normal.

As DD says, also try increasing iron in your diet. e.g. Red meat/ eggs/dark leafy greens such as spinach & kale/ dried fruits like prunes, apricots and raisins/ iron-enriched cereals and grains/beans, lentils, chick peas and soybeans/liver/artichokes.

Speedy
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,447
    Options
    Hi Cakegirl

when l had my youngest l came home with an iron level of 3.6 and l felt pretty awful - that and some iron tablets which gave me the two-bob-bits so l didn't take them.

Things settled via diet and having recovered from the birth. Having said that my iron is always 'low', partly the arthritis l have always thought.

The health visitors used ro say not to give young kids tea because the tannin depletes iron levels, l was personally advised to drink fresh orange juice after meals to help the absorption of it.

All the best cakegirl with your tabs and fingers crossed they work soon for you.

Love

Toni xxx