Durolane injection.

Options
Peacefulwarrior
Peacefulwarrior Member Posts: 18
edited 6. Sep 2012, 07:30 in Living with Arthritis archive
I'm new on the forum so apologise if this injection has already been a subject for discussion.

My consultant has suggested this injection into my hip to try to ease the pain. Has anyone else had this and what is your experience ?

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello, it's nice to meet you but I am sorry you have to find us. I have not heard of this sort of injection (I have only had steroid jabs into knees and ankles and depo-medrone steroids into my backside) but I am guessing that durolane is another type of steroid (I know, I know, I should google before answering! :) ) If it is indeed that sort of thing then you may find it helps a lot, a little or not at all, such is the nature of these things. My hospital has always told me to rest - the stay in bed and do nowt kind of resting - for at least 24 hours after a joint injection, but they prefer 48: this gives the stuff time to 'sink' into the joint and thus give the biggest benefit it can. I don't have much that is good to say about them but others love 'em as the benefit is wonderful. I sincerely hope that you fall into that latter category and I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi
    Welcome to the forum
    No sorry not heard of that injection. I have to have an injection in one hip.....its aspiration of a hip where I have had a replacement.
    Then I have to have another injection in the other hip......but thats a diagnostic thing......slight disagreement between consultants as to whether the pain is in my back or my hip.....got arthritis in both. So this is an anaesthetic and if it helps the pain...its coming from the hip so a THR asap.....but if it doesnt help the pain its coming from the back.....nothing they can do.
    So ...sorry.....thats as much as i know about injections in the hip. No doubt some of the other "hipsters" will know"
    Love
    Hileena
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    Hello Peacefulwarrior and welcome from me too.

Like DD I've had steroid jabs but never heard of this one so I googled it. From what I've found it seems to be some sort of supplement which is supposed to help the connective tissue. Well, I hope it works for you, Peacefulwarrior. Please keep us in the know.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    Hi PW

Welcome to the forum. I read up on the durolane injection because I was interested. :) I do not recall anyone on the forum mentioning this type before.

It would appear that for some people it works very well and others not, some said the actual injection was a breeze, others disagreed. Seems it is like most meds and injections, what works for one, does not work so well or at all for another as we are all different.

Do let us know how you go on, should you go ahead with this procedure and I wish you well.

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    not heard of it but as sat here with hip screaming will look to see how it has gone make sure you rest after and ice usually helps (did on sternum one) but sure who ever does injection will tell you what best good luck let us know how it going
    val
  • Peacefulwarrior
    Peacefulwarrior Member Posts: 18
    Options
    Hi All,
    Thank you for your posts. I think one of the reasons that nobody has heard of Durolane is because it appears not to be available on the NHS. The cost is phenomenal !! I'm willing to try anything once but am not in a position to pay for the injection or the procedure. I'm going to be daring and ask my GP if he will refer me to a pain clinic and then see if there is any chance of them prescribing it. I am not hopeful but who knows a miracle may happen. :roll:
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    Options
    Another that's not heard of that particular one but I've had the depo ones in the butt cheeks plus the steroid ones in the knees and spine. In fact, had both knees done back end of January but they've not done much this time I'm afraid. Will still let them keep trying with them though, one occasion I had great relief in both knees, only for a month but it was bliss, lol..

Good luck with the pain clinic..

Let us know how you go on..

And another welcome from me..

:D
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hi PW
    And a warm welcome from me, this is very interesting and I wish you good luck with it.
    Please let us know how you get on.
    Love
    Barbara
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,447
    Options
    Hi PW

l googled it too.

Initially l read it and thought acid??? In joints???, but it certainly looks interesting, but if it's not available on the NHS???

Has anyone asked the helplines for their opinion?

Would hate it to be another false cure :(

Love

Toni xx
  • SMH
    SMH Member Posts: 3
    edited 15. Mar 2012, 12:40
    Options
    I had a Durolane injection into my knee one wek ago. Was advised not to make my mind up about the results until a couple of weeks later, as outcomes can vary. At the moment it has made sleeping a bit better, as I could not rest one knee on top of the other laid sideways - this is now not as painful. Walking is easier, HOWEVER, my favourite walking style was brisk, and striding out for exercise after spening long hours at a desk in work. When I am inside my home I think I am doing OK and go out to try and walk briskly. BUT I get about 50 yards (150 metres) and then I feel pain starting again behind my patella, and also, it feels very unstable as if the tweo halves of the kneee joint are slipping. I may be that this injection has lubricated the joint and its a bit slippy until it finally stablises but I dont know whether that will be the case or not yet. Some people say the injection does not make a lot of difference, but I have found that when NOT walking briskly there is a definate improvement over the pain I was feeling after my knee arthroscopy for torn cartiledge, and until the op I did not know I had OA of the patella. So long term I dont knopw whether it will continue to show improvement or not, its early days yet, but no point in NOT trying what they offer you, so I went ahead and had the injection (not pleasant, but not as bad as I had thought it would be.) Some of you may not know but the Hyaluronic acid in this injection is also in some expensive womens face creams, sold as "cushioning " the skin, to make your face look young and dewy(!!), so perhaps it is a cushioning agent that they inject, as it makes sense. I dont know about the viscosity of the liquid, as i didnt look at the needle when it went in. But Durolane is not steroids. Do not know how it stays in the joint, as this is what they claim - does it harden over the bones perhaps, or become rubbery and replace the effect of cartiledge ?? Does anyone else know the answers. The hospital said they had to order the injection of Durolane as they do not keep it in stock, its too expensive, I think its about three hundred pounds per shot !! Can anyone reply so we can discuss this, thanks Sheila
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I can't answer your question SMH but I can help with the sleeping thing: I have a memory foam pillow which is placed between my legs, this runs from groin to ankle and softens the impact of the upper arthritic joints on the lower. (I have two sorts of arthritic damage in my knees, ankles and toes.) I hope this helps. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    Bumped up for SMH
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dengob
    dengob Member Posts: 1
    Options
    hi, i went to see my consultant monday AGAIN as i have severe arthritis in both my knees but am too young for replacements and had the durolane injection in one knee on the nhs. hav'nt had any real relief yet but was told to rest as much as possible as could take up to weeks before i start to see any real benefits. the injection itself was no where near as bad as i thought it would be, so will let you know how i get on :!: