Rheumy appointment on 1st March....

Options
deedeeitsme
deedeeitsme Member Posts: 321
edited 13. Feb 2012, 11:18 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi all

I have my first rheumy appointment on 1st march and was wondering what to expect. I am doing a pain diary now because there is that much going on at the mo if I don't write it down I know I'll forget to mention it. My lower back and pelvis have always been my main problem and that has not eased in the 6 months since I started this bloomin journey. My knees, feet, ankles and hand are a problem now with swelling and so much pain. I also get spasms in my rib cage which literally pin me to the bed in a morning, once I manage to get out of bed and moving this tends to ease and doesn't really bother me again all day, maybe little twinges but nothing more. It seems like things are getting worse by the day now, not sleeping aswell as I was either because the pain at night is hell. Hope I get some answers on the first and better treatment that maybe gives me a bit of relief, i'll be happy with that, don't think i'll ever feel "normal" again x Dee x

Comments

• valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    hi we do a good service of sitting in peoples pockets to give some suport on the whole we quite well behaved.
    take some one with you and do not expect to much from first visit they often want blood done before giving meds make a list of what you want to ask i never remember even now good luck things can only get better val
    val
  • petals
    petals Member Posts: 217
    Options
    Hello Deedee,

The first appointment is the first step on the road to better health. The pain diary is an excellent idea. On my first appointment thing moved very quickly for me. My Rheumatologist checked out all my joints from head to toes, squeezing bones and joints gently to see where it hurts and how badly.

I took my partner in with me so that he could better understand what was going on with me. Next she began scanning my worst bits (my wrists and hands) with a hand held scanning thing and I could actually see the inflamed bits on the computer screen as she scanned away.

I was then sent for a steroid injection to help with the immediate pain and I have to say that was heaven. X rays were ordered for my feet and I had to return a couple of weeks later for results. I was then diagnosed with RA and started immediately on Methotrexate which I feel is like a wonder drug for me. Two years down the line, I am still on the mtx and coping well with it although it made me feel very tired at first. I still have flare ups now and then but not the agonising pains that I had before my diagnosis. I remember sitting half the night rocking with the pain and crying cos I just wanted to sleep and not be in so much pain all the time.

Now I feel better able to cope with my RA although work is still a daily battle which I soooo wish I could do without.

I hope you are diagnosed quickly and get the help you so obviously need. Rest up as much as you can and try not to panic too much about the future. Help is out there, it's just a matter of finding the best solution for you.

Best wishes Petals x
  • Colin1
    Colin1 Member Posts: 1,769
    Options
    I think you have the right idea, Anything you think of to ask write it down
    I used to write in letter form asking the Rheumy to discuss each point with me.
    Hope it all goes well
    Colin
    WHEN GOD GIVES YOU LEMONS MAKE LEMONADE
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi
    Yes make notes.....that is the main thing.....even when I go to the GP I come out thinking....Ohhh I forgot to ask that??? :roll:
    Take someone with you because it doesnt always sink in what they say.
    You are so busy trying to remember what to ask and reading notes :) that someone else to listen to what he says is great.
    If you get swelling that comes and goes.....you can be sure it will be fine when you go to see him :lol: Murphys Law :lol:
    So if there are joints that you can take pictures of when they are swollen do that....just incase they are behaving on the day. Camera on your mobile phone?
    Love
    Hileena
  • Shooter
    Shooter Member Posts: 32
    Options
    because my blood tests didnt show much wrong (slightly elevated)but i have had infection in the lining of my lungs i have started writing down symptoms and taking pictures of the swellings on my mobile to back me up next appointment is at end of feb so will see if this as any baring on the results , worth a try good luck . steve.b
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hi deedee
    Sorry I cant add to what the others have said, I just want to wish you well with it, and please let us know how it goes. x
    Love
    Barbara
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Gosh, it's been 11 years since my first rheumatology appointment, I honestly cannot remember the ins-and-outs of it (apart from the twerp telling me I didn't have an inflammatory arthritis. Spot on, doc. :roll: ) Keep your diary as accurately as you can, inidcate what helps, what hinders, what triggers things (if possible), tiredness levels etc, and as shooter suggested take any relevant piccies along with you too. Don't be surprised if the rheumatologist suggests blood tests, or packs you off for Xrays, that is quite usual. I hope it all goes well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • petals
    petals Member Posts: 217
    Options
    Just to add,

I stopped taking my anti inflamitaries the day before my appointment as I didn't want them to 'mask' what was ging on. Consequently I was in a lot of pain when I got there and Doc could see first hand the 'real state' of my hands/wrists rather than a dumed down version.

Not saying you should do this but just what I did.

Best wishes Petals x
  • LesleyAnn
    LesleyAnn Member Posts: 8
    Options
    My first appointment was about a decade back but generally was a big question/answer session with the doctor examining my joints. Squeezing and checking for tenderness, pain, stiffness and of course inflammation.

I took someone in with me so that I didn't brave it alone. I admit to nervousness. Even attending my OT or PT as well as my Rheumy Clinic gives me nerves.

A diary is probably a great idea. Everytime I have an appointment the therapist/doctor asks of course "Any questions?" I say "No, nothing I can think of!". By the time I reach the reception desk the, "I forgot to ask ... such and such" begin to flood my brain.

My PT assessment in December is a great example. Went in answered questions on my RA and my spinal problems. Had measurements made and was examined/tested on relevant joints affected. Thought it went great until that night when I went to bed and suddenly a thought popped out as I began to doze off. "OMG we didn't cover my Fibro at all and how it affects me. It wasn't even mentioned. How could I have forgotten that completely given the fact I was in a flare up period at the time!"

Not one of my most stellar moments. Totally blame fibro-fog, it was so bad I forgot to mention the fibro altogether! :lol: Well that's my reason and I'm sticking to it. :wink: