Voltarol Emulgel

Options
emsjane
emsjane Member Posts: 351
edited 14. Feb 2012, 12:58 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi,

Does anyone else use this gel on their hands and do they find it helps??
LOVE EMMA X

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I like Voltarol (mainly 'cos it doesn't smell like Deep Heat :) ) but I limit its use as it is Diclofenac by another name (least, I think it is). If you are already taking an anti-inflammatory tablet then you need to check with your pharmacist whether you can use this too. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • tiggernut
    tiggernut Member Posts: 339
    Options
    I have used it on various bits not sure if it helps or not really. The closest to my hands is my wrists.
    I do also take 100mg Voltarol retard. My pharmacist told me if you take the tablets there isn't much point using the cream!!
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi
    I have used voltarol.....I found it good and yes it is diclofenic so if you are on diclofenic be careful.
    I was on diclofenic {full dose...slow release}and was told not to use the cream.
    I'm now on naproxen but once again full dose and have been advised not to use voltarol along with anti inflamm tabs.
    It doesnt smell like some of the others....they are dreadful :lol:

Love
    Hileena
  • tillytop
    tillytop Member Posts: 3,460
    Options
    Hello emsjane

Like the others have said, best to check if it's ok for you if you are mixing with other anti-inflamms. I used to use Ibulieve Max Strength Gel which I found helpful but my GP now prescribes Piroxicam Gel which is a prescription only gel but for me it works even better than the other. I find it particularly helpful for my wrists - rub it in and then cover with tubigrip - and for my feet. Doesn't stop them hurting but when they really start to "shriek" I find it can take the edge off, particuarly if I am out and about and need to act quickly.

Tillyxxx