Its a big step for me.....

Options
CJHunter
CJHunter Member Posts: 1,038
edited 15. Feb 2012, 12:02 in Living with Arthritis archive
Ok this may sound silly to some and not a biggy, but for me the visit from the O.T last weeek was huge for.
I finally had to accept that I do and need to use things to help me.

Today I had the rails in the bathroom fitted.
I became quite emotional and yes i did shed a tear. It just hit me thats all. The whole arther thing has got on top off me and has been too much of late.
I dont talk about my emotions very much as I cant deal with them at times and try to put my head in the sand, well today was a day for facing them and it has been hard.

After having a lovely weekend away, but feeling emotional coz I couldnt do the things i did a few years ago, just gets to me now n again.

So having the rails fitted topped it off really.

I am using them and they are helpfull, at least it means I wont pull the radiator off the wall wen i get up off loo. Next step is the raised seat the OT advised me to have.

One step at a time eh :roll:

She did say to call and I will, just not at the moment.
Clare xxeyeore-1.jpg

Comments

• bounce
    bounce Member Posts: 106
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I know it can come through as quite a shock, and it knocks you sideways, you will readjust to having the new equipment, but it is the knocking of confidence and that it takes away a bit more independence and thats the last thing you want to deal with.

I am not in your situation by the way, your posting reminded me of my late dad when all the different things were being added around the place for him, and he didnt let rip at the people, the family got a free hair straightening as the result of him letting out his frustrations at the family.

You just let all those emotions out, and in a few days you will feel more at ease with it all.

As you say just take your time, its always better in your timeframe then it being pushed onto you.

Hope this post came across alright, as im just symtpathising with you. :)
  • CJHunter
    Options
    Thank you bounce :wink:
    I get what you are saying.xx
    Clare xxeyeore-1.jpg
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    you are in control of this you can do it when you are ready i know what you meen i did not want to go on sulfa and was very down before because i knew i had to but it is helping and as you will find out these things will help you good luck take it a step at a time val
    val
  • suzygirl
    suzygirl Member Posts: 2,005
    Options
    Clare, I totoally understand. When OT came out to me 5 years ago and offered me all those things, I was horrified. I thought, goodness fancy handing all those things out willy nilly. I just didnt realise how ill I was, and I definitely didnt want visible reminders of that in my home.

Now, unofrtunately I am slowly having to give in. So I totally get what a big step, handles in the bathroom are. (Much safer than the radiator, or in my case the loo roll holder :lol: )

I hope you benefit from them and it gives you more energy for other things.

(((hugs)))
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi Clare,
    I can come as a shock.......but you will adjust to it and realise soon what a help it is. I've just got a grab rail in the bath.
    I do remember when the OT came and said that I needed a rail up the other side of my stairs....opposite the bannisters.....I said no.....she said yes.....you aren't very steady at the minute.
    I wouldnt be without them now.....in fact it is quite weird in a strange house with only one bannister :wink:
    Sending you (((((((())))))))
    Love
    Hileena
  • hileena111
    Options
    Hi Clare,
    It can come as a shock.......but you will adjust to it and realise soon what a help it is. I've just got a grab rail in the bath.
    I do remember when the OT came and said that I needed a rail up the other side of my stairs....opposite the bannisters.....I said no.....she said yes.....you aren't very steady at the minute.
    I wouldnt be without them now.....in fact it is quite weird in a strange house with only one bannister :wink:
    Love
    Hileena
  • Poppyg1rl
    Poppyg1rl Member Posts: 1,245
    edited 13. Feb 2012, 18:10
    Options
    Hi Clare,
    I know just how you feel, it's never easy admitting even to ourselves just how much damage this blasted disease causes.
    You know how I dealt with it, my lads named each and every aid I received eg 'Doris' the walking stick, 'Laurel & Hardy' the crutches, 'Ethel' the bath lift
    'Enid' the perching stool, even 'Jeff' the grabber :lol::lol:
    We all have our own ways of coping with things, my philosophy is this: if I have to be disabled it will be on my terms.
    If that means shuffling around using Doris my neon pink sprayed walking stick, or Betsy the multi coloured wheelchair, or even the latest addition Poppy the scooter which im reliably informed can be seen from space :lol: (as you well know having seen her :wink:) I just do things my way :D and if I happen to make someone else smile and brighten their day then that's a good thing, which in turn brightens mine.
    Love and hugs my lovely friend Xxx
    'grá agus solas'
    'Love and Light' translated from Irish. X
  • salamander
    salamander Member Posts: 1,906
    Options
    I know how you feel Clare but I find the stuff really useful and I don't think about it anymore.
  • Nellyphant
    Nellyphant Member Posts: 27
    Options
    I'm putting off getting these things. I have got raised toilet seats that we bought ourselves but use the sinks to pull myself up and getting in and out of the bath is problematic. Do I refer myself for OT or should I get my GP to do it?
  • CJHunter
    Options
    Nellyphant wrote:
    I'm putting off getting these things. I have got raised toilet seats that we bought ourselves but use the sinks to pull myself up and getting in and out of the bath is problematic. Do I refer myself for OT or should I get my GP to do it?

Either your GP can refer or you can through your council. Ours has a referal form on the county council website, am not sure if all are the same.

The sink is such a bad idea but as you read I used the radiator and know of others nearly pulling sinks off the wall so be warned. :roll:

Thanks all for your kind words of support. Suzygirl my OT said the same, she said think of the energy you will save by using these things. It is so true :smile:

Take care all. xx
    Clare xxeyeore-1.jpg
  • hileena111
    Options
    Hi
    We can self refer to the OT here and I'm sure in other places as well.
    Its worth a try. I would say ring the hospital and ask for the OT if not ask for the physio dept they'll put you on the right to track to get in touch with her.

Love
    Hileena
  • julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    Options
    Hi clare

It is a massive step that you have taken and I am so proud of you.
    It is a big thing to come to terms with the adaptations and gadgets that you have to have and use to make life easier.
    You will find these things very helpful and honestly you will soon come to wonder....how did I cope without them.

You take care
    and keep your chin up.
    Love Juliepf x
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    Hey Claire, if you need to talk you can always PM me, I am a friend. I hate to see you feeling down. I've been in that place recently where you see your not as strong as you used to be, and you need more equipment to help you with the basic things in your life. It really is a kick in the teeth! But just remember your not alone and I'm here if you need me!
  • Nellyphant
    Nellyphant Member Posts: 27
    Options
    Thanks for the help, I've found the details on my county council website.
  • emsjane
    emsjane Member Posts: 351
    Options
    I can completely relate to pulling on the radiator to get up!!!

These aids are there to help you, thats all, don't think of it as anything more or less than that.

Anything that makes like easier!! ;o)
    LOVE EMMA X
  • madwestie
    madwestie Member Posts: 383
    Options
    Clare, I was using the loo roll holder and decided that enough was enough and i had hubby put a rail in for me.
    The way i look at it is me taking control of Arfur. you see he thinks i will make it impossible for you to get in the bath so i think well i will have a shower instead then he thinks i will attack your hip and stop you walking and i think well a crutch will stop that and then the rail well that was probably more the toilet roll telling me that it will give up if i keep on (or was that all in my head :P ) so if i am in control of the decision to have the aids then i am still in control of my life.
    I hope you work out a way that helps for you and never worry about letting your emotions out on hear i have been on here for 5 years now and we all do it at some time.

Love Tracey
  • CJHunter
    Options
    madwestie wrote:
    Clare, I was using the loo roll holder and decided that enough was enough and i had hubby put a rail in for me.
    The way i look at it is me taking control of Arfur. you see he thinks i will make it impossible for you to get in the bath so i think well i will have a shower instead then he thinks i will attack your hip and stop you walking and i think well a crutch will stop that and then the rail well that was probably more the toilet roll telling me that it will give up if i keep on (or was that all in my head :P ) so if i am in control of the decision to have the aids then i am still in control of my life.
    I hope you work out a way that helps for you and never worry about letting your emotions out on hear i have been on here for 5 years now and we all do it at some time.

Love Tracey

Thank you Tracy, I love your philosiphy and will try to adopt it as my own.
    Xx
    Clare xxeyeore-1.jpg
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    Options
    Hi hun.. You're right,a big step indeed.. I waited sooooooo long before giving into using a walking stick, probably did more harm struggling but it's easily done, burying ones head... I still hate all if the things I have to use, the grab rails, the crutches etc.. However, I know that I ned them..

I hope that you are alright mi dear..
    Glad that you enjoyed the wknd..

Manly hugs from me and soppy purrs from the great white dope..
    :D
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • traluvie
    traluvie Member Posts: 2,579
    Options
    Big Hugs .. ((((((((((X))))))))))
    th_tn_TisFORTIGGER.jpgxxTracyxx
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I can understand how you feel (a four-wheeled walker? :shock: Moi? :shock: Surely I'm not that bad! :lol: ) but my rationale always has been that it is better to use kit that is designed for the purpose than risking joints and bones by relying on sinks, toilet roll holders, radiators etc. They have specific roles in the household and us leaning too much weight on them isn't one of 'em! :) It is a big step, it's far from easy, but what it is NOT is giving in - it's adapting, and good on you for doing just that. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • hileena111
    Options
    I totally agree with DD, I got a 4 wheel rollator shortly after she did.
    They are only for old people :lol::lol: My daughter told me it was a coping mechanism!!!!!!!! What a blessing it is.
    Before that I had/still have a mobility scooter....thats another thing I fought against but wouldnt be without now when I have to walk long distances :D

Love
    Hileena
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    hileena111 wrote:
    Hi Clare,
    I can come as a shock.......but you will adjust to it and realise soon what a help it is. I've just got a grab rail in the bath.
    Love
    Hileena

I haven't given in with the 2nd bannister yet. I feel it will spoil the aesthetic clean lines of my hallway, plus I rest my shoulder on the wall and slide it down hanging on to the second bannister. I'm sure the OT will get her way in the end....

Good luck Clare. I know exactly how you feel. It is just so final. But I am glad the handles and steps and things are there as they do make life so much easier.
    Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein