X Rays Normal but so much pain

Options
purpleunicorn
purpleunicorn Member Posts: 67
edited 15. Feb 2012, 14:23 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi all, and hope you're all doing ok today.

I had the results of my x rays this morning over the phone. They are apparently normal, although I think they only x rayed my hip and my main problem is my lower back which has now spread into my hip. Can you have normal x rays and still have arthritis? I've suffered muscular problems in my back so I know the difference and what I have now is nothing like a muscle problem.

Last night for example, I went to bed at around 11, ended up in tears with the pain and got up at 3 for cocodamol and hot water bottle and finally managed to drift off. The pain was indescribable...in my lower back, through my right hip, down the front of my leg and into my knee. It was a horrid, dull sickening pain and was also in the groin on both sides. This morning I was too scared to get up as I knew it would get worse; took cocodamol and braved getting up and oh Lord...the pain! I cried with it again and had to stop myself being sick with it. Again the only relief I got was from sitting still with a hot water bottle alternating on my back, hip and knee.

I am on cocodamol 30/500, diclofenac and stomach protectors. In the mornings I have to walk with a stick around the house until the stiffness and pain ease enough to allow me to move independantly.

I can't face the dr today so will go in tomorrow, but does any of this sound familiar to anyone else? I am afraid they will just brush it off as a bad back and I will get no answers/diagnosis.

I am booked in with a 'high grade' physio in March (whatever that means) but anyone know what the next step will be or what I should be asking for?

Thanks

x

Also I have noticed a lot of clicking and cracking lately. If I lay on my back and raise one leg and then lower it my back/hip cracks and jolts and walking up or down stairs makes a really odd noise from my groin/hip area..almost like bubble wrap being twisted crossed with grinding.

Comments

• CJHunter
    CJHunter Member Posts: 1,038
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hiya, i empathise. Its not nice being told they cant see anything , but as one remmy said to me 'Xrays wont show us all we are looking for'. I think its time your GP refered you to a reumatologist and you tell them how bad it is for you, is yourn doc aware of the severity?

Has the GP done blood tests? or further tests.

Ask for a referal and also to discuss pain management as the meds dont seem to be helping. Do call docs asap

All the best hun.xx
    Clare xxeyeore-1.jpg
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Oh dear, poor you, I empathise, it is soooo difficult when we know there is something not right but our blasted bodies don't oblige by revealing the problems we know we have. I believe that the clicking and cracking sounds etc are to do with the tendons sliding over the joints etc, and I know from personal experience that it can occasionally take a long time for the docs to finally come to a conclusion about what is wrong, but I hope they can soret you out sooner rather than later. I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • only49
    only49 Member Posts: 1,207
    Options
    yeah done that got the t shirt mine the same, i been giving them coco's make me feel sick, dicophenic didnt help, and the stomach protector well that was even worse.

since i was last on i changed doctors, still living with it so never think your alone as your not,

take care.
    sylvia :)stern02.gif
  • dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    Options
    Hi, feeling for you-those long nights in pain really do get you down don't they? I once had dreadful pain in my buttock and going down the front of my leg into the knee, and it was eventually diagnosed as a trapped sciatic nerve-excruciating!!!!!! Docs gave me endless pain killers that did nothing, until eventually I paid to see a chiropractic who diagnosed the problems and treated me for 3 months until it settled.

Do hope that you get the help you need. Take care.

Deb
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    I feel for you Purple, and I've had X-rays where they have said 'it's normal' half the time there not looking for Arthritis pointers! So don't feel your the only one. You will have to have a chat with your G.P and tell them your worries and see what they suggest.
  • purpleunicorn
    Options
    Hi all and thanks for the replies. I seriously need to think about changing doctor's practice completely...I called this morning for an appt to discuss x rays etc and they asked could I wait a week as they only had a few appts left for today. I said no, I was in severe pain and did not being able to walk count as an emergency? She eventually and reluctantly booked me in for saturday morning! It's with yet another locum doctor so in the past 4 weeks I will have seen 4 different doctors, 3 of whom I've never met before.

So guess til then at least I'll keep on dosing myself up, filling hot water bottles and sleeping the day away (co codamol knock me for six). Trouble is I'm a single mum so need to be awake for the kids. Can't win can we?

Hope the sunshine is making you all feel a tiny bit better.

Aly x
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    Options
    Morning hun. I would say that it might not be the docs at fault in this instance, bloody receptionist playing God.. :x You should have insisted on having an appointment there and then, it's not their decision hun.. You should ring back today and tell them you cannot wait until saturday.
    Anyway, I really hope that your appointment goes ok, tell them the whole truth, make sure they know exactly how much pain you are in.. Xrays don't always show everything.. Ask for an mri on your lower back, it sounds like that's where the main problem stems from, although I'm no doctor.. It's just I've got OA in my lower back and I suffer terribly with pain in the hips, legs and groin sometimes.. As has been mentioned, sciatica sounds like the culprit.. But discuss with the GP.

Wishing you the very best of luck, let us know how you go on.
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • purpleunicorn
    Options
    So it could be sciatica instead of arthritis? Or can the 2 go hand in hand? I know no one on here can diagnose but I'm just interested in others' experiences.

I'm not very good at confrontations so will probably just wuss out and wait til saturday.

Incidentally, I get some really odd spasms\jerking in my body when I'm relaxing. Sometimes hands, or legs or shoulders. Last night it was the right side of my trunk. All very odd.

Aly x
  • tjt6768
    Options
    It is my OA in the spine that causes my sciatica, I get honey growths called osteophites that press on e sciatic nerve..
    You definitely need to see the doctor sooner rather than later Hun, don't let some little hitler receptionist scare you..

I hope that you are alright and that they get you sorted out soon..

:D
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • suzygirl
    suzygirl Member Posts: 2,005
    Options
    Hi, I am sorry you are in so much pain. I have nerve pain from disk problems in my neck and lower back. I get pain, spasms, jerking etc, from this and also numbness, pins and needles etc.

I take gabapentin in the day, and amitryptyline at night to help with the pain. It knocks you out to start with, but you get used to them. It may be that type of painkiller needs to be changed for you.

I agree that x rays dont show everything, mri scan is much better, but even they dont tell the whole story.

Tell the doc how bad it is and what it prevents you from doing. Sat is a long time to wait if you are in so much pain. Call back and ask for an appt or to speak to the doc on call. They can issue prescriptions over the phone, which may tide you over.

Its tough during half term, when you are ill. Hope you have some good movies to watch.

Take care
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,427
    Options
    Hi Aly

so sorry l am late on tis but want to offer my support too.

sciatica is when the sciatic nerve is getting pressed on or trapped.

I am pleased you will be seeing a doctor Saturday but sorry you have to wait so long. l totally understand how you feel about being drugged up with kids. I was a single parent to one 5 and one 8 when l finally had surgery on my back

Mine finally 'went' completely so they had to operate, but until then l was fobbed off all the time. and MRi confirmed the diagnosis for me.

Good luck

Oh do you sleep on your side?? If so try a pillow between your knees...keeps the spine from twisting.

Toni xxx
  • purpleunicorn
    Options
    Hi, and thanks again for your thoughts and suggestions.

I do generally sleep on my side, yes, as my back seems to seize up if I lay on it. I will try putting a pillow between my knees tonight and see if I can find some relief.

I'm not feeling great today, I keep breaking out in cold sweats and generally feeling poo. I'm about to put my youngest to bed and know I'll be asleep before her!

Aly x x
  • tjt6768
    Options
    The pillow between the knees is a great tip. I've got a five foot feather bolster that I use. I drape myself over it and that's as comfy as I get. Also we have recently bought a memory foam matress and that does help too.

Best of luck.
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP