Constipation!

Options
emsjane
emsjane Member Posts: 351
edited 15. Feb 2012, 12:01 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi all,

I know it's not a nice topic, but i do suffer from a little bit of constipation! I don't know if this is because of the tablets - Methotrexate/folic acid or because im not as active as i was!!

Anyway, ive started eating an activia prune yogurt lately in the evening and ive really noticed it has helped, so i thought i pass this information on in case it helps anyone else :D

Emma
LOVE EMMA X

Comments

• hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi
    The other thing I find good is keeping a bottle or carton of prune juice in the fridge :wink:

Love
    Hileena
  • Colin1
    Colin1 Member Posts: 1,769
    Options
    Tin of prunes from asda cheap as chips
    12 in the tin 6 monday 6 wednesday 6 friday and after sunday lunch with custard.
    WHEN GOD GIVES YOU LEMONS MAKE LEMONADE
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I loathe prunes, so I eat figs and/or take Docusate caplets (prescribed by my doctor and they easily make life a great deal more comfortable). It's the cocos that 'block my drains'. It can be sorted out so please don't suffer un-necessarily. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • jez
    jez Member Posts: 27
    Options
    hi all
    i have an orange fresh or tinned before i go to bed absolutely essential if i want a bowel movement in the morning, co-co's and morphine and adcal block u up. :shock:
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    Options
    Have you tried benecol? It's expensive but works very well. It's a powder that you can put in your food or drink and is totally tasteless.
    Works well for me. It's about the only thing I'll take as all the other things taste horrid. Especially prunes lol..

Best of luck.
    :D
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • emsjane
    emsjane Member Posts: 351
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Im not a big fan of prunes myself, that's why i was pleased when i discovered the yogurt as it is ok to eat! I have tried tablets, but i didn't feel they helped that much! I haven't tried oranges, i didn't know they helped, i will definitely be eating more of them now!!

I will also try benecol, i haven't tried that either! :shock:
    LOVE EMMA X
  • muffy
    muffy Member Posts: 72
    Options
    I take Movicol, the trick is to take the right dosage that suits you. It's a powder you mix with water and drink it down.
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    Thanks for that. I have the opposite problem but my 8 year old has chronic constipation and it is very bad at the moment and I was woken up every 10-15 mins with her in pain. I cannot convince her to drink enough movicol so I don't think prune yoghurt would stand a chance.But I'm really glad it is working for you as constipation is horrible.

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,426
    Options
    Prune juice for me too if needs be. It tends to be the co-cos or tramadol-type meds which do it for me.

The yog sounds quite dare l say it??? Nice!!

Love

Toni xxx