What legal right do I have with a 'Fit to Work note'??

sailrib
sailrib Member Posts: 327
Hi.

I work in my local shop 2 days a week at the moment and I have a 'Fit to Work' note valid for 6 months since just before xmas, after I came back to work after my operation.

It said that I needed to do all the work, sat down. So since I came back, I have been placed on tills, which worked for me.
But last week, we got a new manager and this manager said he doesnt care about the 'Fit to Work note', I am not allowed to sit down on tills!!

Really annoys me as I find standing in one place for 6 hours, very painful.

Does the manager have to act upon the fit to work note or is it something that he does not have to act upon if he does not want to?

Does anyone know?
Thank you :)

Comments

• yaris
    yaris Member Posts: 96
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    sailrib wrote:
    Hi.

I work in my local shop 2 days a week at the moment and I have a 'Fit to Work' note valid for 6 months since just before xmas, after I came back to work after my operation.

It said that I needed to do all the work, sat down. So since I came back, I have been placed on tills, which worked for me.
    But last week, we got a new manager and this manager said he doesnt care about the 'Fit to Work note', I am not allowed to sit down on tills!!

Really annoys me as I find standing in one place for 6 hours, very painful.

Does the manager have to act upon the fit to work note or is it something that he does not have to act upon if he does not

I would phone acas they would put you stright

Does anyone know?
    Thank you :)
  • deedeeitsme
    deedeeitsme Member Posts: 321
    Hi there....from what my gp told me is a fit note remains a fit note as long as the company are complying with the adjustments/recommendations of your gp but as soon as they detract from this then it reverts back to a sick note. See your gp.
    Dee x
  • Emily
    Emily Member Posts: 124
    Yes phone ACAS, if you got a sick note why are you working or do you prefer to be at work. Is the company a large one or small. If you been there longer that 1 year and this will be changing to 2 years in April, you employer cannot sack you for no reason and you will have redress.

It is impossible to stand for that length of time your employer should not do this to you. Why not contact access to work and see if you can get them to help you as well.
  • sailrib
    I dont have a sick note, I have a fit to work note to say I need to sit down when working but new manager says he does not care about it, I am not allowed to sit down.

Will see how I go this weekend and then contact GP next week.

Thanks.
  • Emily
    Your employer is being unreasonable to expect to stand for long periods when you clearly cannot do so, if it is still the same over the weekend then go and see you gp gp on monday.

have a look at acas website and also you could give them a ring as well.
  • yaris
    yaris Member Posts: 96
    Emily wrote:
    Your employer is being unreasonable to expect to stand for long periods when you clearly cannot do so, if it is still the same over the weekend then go and see you gp gp on monday.

Acas will phone your works same thing happend where I work they will make a call to your boss and put him stright
  • sailrib
    yaris wrote:
    Emily wrote:

Acas will phone your works same thing happend where I work they will make a call to your boss and put him stright

Oh that is good. Good to have Acas for reference in case something happens again. Never heard of them before.
    Today, he let me have a chair so all is okay but will keep Acas in my mind in case he decides to take it away again.

8)
  • Emily
    It is very difficult to prove that you have a disability under equality act, it is up to a tribunal to say whether it is a disability or not.....an illness has to last over a year and longer. Has anyone read the 2010 act and let us know more please....
  • Emily
    Thanks delboy

I have osteoporosis and arthritist in the neck should and runs down my arm and wrist is also very weak carpal tunnel from a fall on my hand. My employer does not think that is a disabiliy and have to prove it to them by getting expert evidence. :x :x

Do you know what the special rules covering recurring or fluctuating conditions :?:
  • Emily
    Thanks again delboy, I wil be on treatment for the rest of my life for osteoporosis therefore I will be on medication for the rest of my life and also for arthtitist will last for the rest of my life. I think that my illness fall within the Act 2010.

They also want to know when my illness became a disabiliy. Their own OH told them that I had underlying illness so they know about it for years and tried to get away with doing as little as possible for me.
    :x :x :x