Gabapentin

Options
Rallymad
Rallymad Member Posts: 84
edited 16. Feb 2012, 16:05 in Living with Arthritis archive
Was on here last week after being to rhemy and given gabapentin to ease the pain, things were going great, two good nights sleep but on the fifth night (sunday) just after I had taken my amytriptiline, I was sitting speaking to my daughter, I looked at her arm and asked her if she had been putting on fake tan? Her arm had what appeared, to me anyway, two brown streaks, my partner couldnt see anything. Then out of nowhere I started seeing black and white cartoons!!!! Remember the old popeye and olive oil etc. My partner got a bit freaked out with me, but I was adamant!! Looking at the wall I could see more, and then they changed into various other pictures! My partner contacted NHS 24, they were not unduly concerned as apparently this is one of the side effects LOL. Was advised to contact my own GP next morning. Did this, now on lower dose and it is not holding the pain so well and I am very drowsy. Must admit they were not the worst hallucinations that I could have had, certainly worried everyone. Just hope that I can get back up to the other dose as really did make me feel better
Arlene

Comments

• PollySid
    PollySid Member Posts: 343
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I am on Gabapentin, just a low dose though so I've had no problems. I only take mine in the evening so I am asleep when they kick in. I did try increasing them to mornings as well but found that they were giving me a 'high' that was difficult to control. As I was still working at the time I stopped this dose and took extra Co-co instead.
    What strength were you taking? I will have to take care not to increase mine if that's what can happen. It must have been really scary.
  • Colin1
    Colin1 Member Posts: 1,769
    Options
    Hello Arlene
    nice to meet you well mine was devils and lots of the it really scared me, i was taken off them. Hope your feeling better soon
    Colin
    WHEN GOD GIVES YOU LEMONS MAKE LEMONADE
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi Arlene,
    They were going to put me on them then discovered that I have epilepsy {controlled} and take tabs for that and it would clash....so they never did give them to me. So no experience of them.
    What about asking your doc for something completely different. What is the point in taking these if you have hallucinations with the high dose that helps the pain and the low dose is oK but doesnt control the pain?
    I'm not suggesting you come off them on your own.....just that your doc might be able to suggest something else. On the other hand......once they get into your system the low dose might start helping?
    Sorry thats not a lot of help to you....just my thoughts.
    Love
    Hileena
  • traluvie
    traluvie Member Posts: 2,579
    Options
    I am currently on 1800mg a day at the moment, had to increase due to nerve pains in legs..

I find they help me, cover up my pain to some degree but cannot say i have had any bad experiences form them so i ma lucky..

Hope they work for you..
    th_tn_TisFORTIGGER.jpgxxTracyxx
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    Options
    Was on them a long time ago but had horrific nightmares with them..
    Good luck with them and hope that once you are used to the lower dose they can increase them back to a level that helps without Popeye and olive appearing on e walls :wink:
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • rubyjay
    rubyjay Member Posts: 13
    Options
    Hi Arlene, I was given Amitriptyline only 10mg one tablet at nightime and had similar side effect. ..was took off those and given Pregabalin 2x 75mg one at nightime and one in a morning...I am ok on those..Have a word with your doctor about trying another....I wish you well...rubyjay
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,425
    Options
    :shock:

How really really scary!

I tried them a bit back got up to the max dose something stupid like 3600mg a day, but it did Nothing nothing at all :(

Was the best medication l ever had for lack of side-effects.

I do hope they can change you to something else or that you get to be able to tolerate it soon.

Love

Toni xx
  • lavenderlady
    lavenderlady Member Posts: 409
    Options
    I take them 3 times a day and they really helped with nerve pain in my legs and so far no side affects been on them for around 2 years now, also on Ammetriptyline was 3 but now 2 an evening been on these for about 5 years no side affects good luck on finding something that works seems medication can affect us all in totally different ways
  • Rallymad
    Rallymad Member Posts: 84
    Options
    LOL thanks or replies folks,
    I take 100mg amytriptilyne every night but because they were becoming uneffective and was waking up, Rheumy suggested the gabapentin. It is very annoying that I can only take the 100mg tabs (now working up to 3 a day) and they don't feel like they are doing anything. Will just have to hope that when I go back to GP on Mon that she will let me take the higher dose. Was lucky I suppose that the side effect wasn't that scary more funny. Can't do that tho when at work lol.
    Good job we have all got a sense of humour eh?
    Arlene
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,425
    Options
    Tis a good job Arlene....l hope you will be able to tolerate a theraputic does for you soon.

Love

Toni xx